Games Retrospect

Does Anyone Know Why Pokemon Game Prices Are Going through the Roof?

I was watching one of the latest Nintendo Collecting videos where he speaks about how Pokemon games are crazy expensive right now and he also speculates what's going to happen in the near future. Today I saw that some of the Pokemon Ranger titles are really expensive too, especially Shadows of Almia and I'm tempted to get more than one copy so that I can resell it or trade it in the future. I know that there's a huge market for Pokemon games of the main series, I also know that Pokemon Snap has increased in price because a new Pokemon Snap has recently been announced. But I can't for the life of me, figure out why Shadows of Almia is 50 USD and why Guardian Signs is more than 20 USD. And that's just for the cartridge itself, CiB copies are even more expensive. I know those games are cool and everything, but am I missing anything? Do people suddenly realized that those games are rare/hard to get? Is everyone getting them all of the sudden? I'm more than welcome to other crazy ideas or conspiracy theories. Oh and here's the video I mentioned https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR_3pNlaR7k

All I can guess is the current crop of Pokemon games just aren't "doing" it anymore. Between needing a service just to trade Pokemon, a big part of the game, and modern games not even being able to catch/trade all of them anyways, the older games are more appealing even to us old school players. Sure sword/shield or evee/pikachu may look amazing, but their amazingly dumbed down from their earlier counterparts.

Still, those old games were produced in obscene numbers, so uber common ones going for $20-100+ just doesn't make sense. I've been going back through the series getting games I've missed over the years, but finding them in decent shape is rather costly atm.

• Like 1

I had sold all of my Pokemon games years ago... all but my original copy of Blue, though I think I still have my copy of Pokemon Ruby that I had found in the middle of the road one day like 15 years ago.

3 hours ago, Video said:

All I can guess is the current crop of Pokemon games just aren't "doing" it anymore. Between needing a service just to trade Pokemon, a big part of the game, and modern games not even being able to catch/trade all of them anyways, the older games are more appealing even to us old school players. Sure sword/shield or evee/pikachu may look amazing, but their amazingly dumbed down from their earlier counterparts.

Still, those old games were produced in obscene numbers, so uber common ones going for $20-100+ just doesn't make sense. I've been going back through the series getting games I've missed over the years, but finding them in decent shape is rather costly atm.

That's a fascinating way to look at what's happening right now. I completely forgot about Pokemon Bank, mainly because I don't have a Switch.

I'm still trying to track down some classic Pokemon games and it's frustrating to see that most are completely out of my price range. I just bought loose copies of two of the three Pokemon Ranger games for the DS, though and I'm super happy about that. Especially now that I know that those have increased in price significantly over the past few months. In fact, I feel bad that I didn't get an extra copy of Shadows of Almia for trading purposes.

The biggest reason to why pokemon games are going up in price probably has something to do with the controversy surrounding Sword and Shield. Gamefreak gained some heat from fans due to them removing certain pokemon from the game and changing the trading system without showing any good reasons to justify their decisions. This may have caused people to flock to the older games. I also think another reason why is that late 90s to early 2000s nostalgia is going in style, which leads to a growing demand for games released around that era and not enough supply to keep up.

48 minutes ago, The Mr. Video said:

The biggest reason to why pokemon games are going up in price probably has something to do with the controversy surrounding Sword and Shield. Gamefreak gained some heat from fans due to them removing certain pokemon from the game and changing the trading system without showing any good reasons to justify their decisions. This may have caused people to flock to the older games. I also think another reason why is that late 90s to early 2000s nostalgia is going in style, which leads to a growing demand for games released around that era and not enough supply to keep up.

That sounds accurate. I don't have a Switch, but if I had one, Sword and Shield are not that appealing to me due to the reasons you mention in your comment. I'm more interested in classic Pokemon than newer Pokemon, if there's such a thing. What's more interesting to me is that even spin-off games are becoming expensive too. Collecting Pokemon games is becoming harder and harder and I'm pretty sure we won't certain games in the wild soon, at least not where I live.

You think it's absurd a complete GB through DS era game can hit $100?  I guess, but you want really wrong insane stuff, check the new copies of the old stuff, in particular the really old Gen 1 and 2 era things.  Pokemon Red/Blue Version are touching the $2000 mark.  I only know this because someone said something awhile back recently since I have that (red) and my jaw dropped...and while I could use it, that won't be sold, not tempting enough.:)

People can be snarky selfish ignorants about it all they care to with the newest titles, but they're fine, quality of life improvements included.  I don't see the big issue over a partial pokedex as it was getting a bit asinine thinking you need to really get all 800+ of them or whatever it's at now.  The games handle far better than the stuff from the DS and early 3DS (XY) back, that's for damn certain.