IGNORED

Does Jaguar have any rail shooter games like Star Fox or Total Eclipse?

captainblack

9 minutes ago, captainblack said:

Is there a working ROM of this available? The videos of it on youtube look absolutely gorgeous. Much better than the SCD version.

I haven't heard of anyone offering and/or distributing a ROM of this. A beta of the CD has been floating around for ages (I bought mine for a hundred bucks...ten? fifteen? years ago), and yes -- it is playable, and it is gorgeous, and it is lots of fun...but it's also unstable, incomplete, and crashes frequently. A plan's been in the works for some time to release a more complete and stable version of the game (CD and on cart).

I don't remember where I found it, probably some random rom site, but it was easy enough to find a copy of the beta soul star for jag cd release (or at least one of them, not sure if there are multiples) for download online a few years ago.  I did check it out myself, I think it has a tendency to crash at specific moments fairly early in the game, though there might be ways to avoid the crashes and play further into the game, I think others figured out ways to do that.  Personally, the game didn't do much for me and it's not something I've spent a lot of time with.

Edited by sirlynxalot
  • Like 2

Yes, you can find the CD beta online now, but there was a time in the Merry Lande of Jagge when even the incomplete, crashy protos were jealously guarded by a few hoarders serious collectors. You had to know someone...who knew something...to get your hands (for a steep price) on a poor copy of a game. It was a real drag, and people are generally much nicer about it now. :)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, captainblack said:

Its interesting that the devs apparently had reservations about a cartridge version because of the Jags limitations, yet the Jag pulls off games like Cybermorph and Zero.

Those were and are legitimate issues, though: just look at the vast improvement that is Battlemorph over the original Cybermorph. With the exception of that, the existing CD library doesn't really show off the capabilities of the accessory and how it might have improved Jag gaming. You get glimpses here and there, like Black Ice: White Noise and SoulStar, but time and money had run out for Atari by that point.

• Like 1

Soul star was designed for the sega cd so the game had cd based features like fmv and cd audio that would have needed to be reworked for a cart release.  There's actually a one level proto of soul star for 32x cartridge though so I guess a cart could have been a distant possibility. Assuming all the graphics and other game data could fit on the cart obviously the jag hardware could handle the game since the jag cd doesn't provide any enhancements to the jag beyond being a cd drive.

On 8/11/2020 at 2:42 PM, davidcalgary29 said:

Those were and are legitimate issues, though: just look at the vast improvement that is Battlemorph over the original Cybermorph. With the exception of that, the existing CD library doesn't really show off the capabilities of the accessory and how it might have improved Jag gaming. You get glimpses here and there, like Black Ice: White Noise and SoulStar, but time and money had run out for Atari by that point.

Those games look really amazing. It makes me wonder if Atari put all their efforts into a CD Jaguar from the start if it would have become successful.