IGNORED

Are Homebrews Worth Collecting?

tailGator

Hi guys, I just recently got back to adding more 2600 games to my collection after a 25-year hiatus.  For that reason, I’m still learning how to navigate this new auction/ecosystem and looking to get the best deals and such.  I also do not own any homebrews so wondering if the prices of these go up and how to tell which have limited runs.  Any advice you can provide is greatly appreciated!  

Homebrews are worth collecting if you want to play the game and support the programmer/developer.  If you are getting into it in hopes of having a great investment, you would be better off putting your money in an IRA.

Atariage doesn't do a bunch of Limited edition Homebrews.  You will find some every once in a while, but for the most part they are not.  Neo Games does most releases on a limited basis.  Gooddealgames also does some as well.

Edited by atari181
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, tailGator said:

Thanks @atari181  I get that there are some great games and supporting the community and Atari Age.  Just was curious as to how to value them when buying on the secondary market. 

Check the AA store first. I'm weary of buying homebrews I can't find any information, pictures, or gameplay of. 

I would collect the homebrews that speak to you and you want to play. Only limited run games like Boulder Dash seem to go up. I don't know if games discontinued like Princess Rescue hold any value.

Anytime I've look at Ebay and such for homebrews they are always around the same price you can buy them new here. So, I don't really look for Ebay homebrew deals anymore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have always collected games from all systems and any monetary value they may have would be a bonus. Never have I looked at them as an investment, but they have actually turned out to be an investment that has paid off for me. My years of collecting everything from Atari 2600 to PS3 has given me a huge store of games that I have been selling as a vendor once a year at Free Play Florida. But I think that people should collect games they want without intending them to be an investment.

Limited Edition games tend to go up in value but there is never a guarantee. Just look to other hobbies like comics, cards and others to see where there have been times of boom and bust. Video games have been on a uphill climb in value for years and that includes homebrew games. It is hard to think of a bust right now but things happen that no one expects.

Buy the games that you like/want. If you want to think of them as baseball cards that you collect on a shelf without playing then that is O.K., a lot of people do that. I play my games and try to keep them in good condition. With emulation getting better and space getting harder to come by I have started to play most my games in emulation and keep the game stored and protected.

• Like 3

@neotokeo2001 I hear ya, I’m not looking at it as an investment, just trying to not overpay for ones I don’t have as I grow my collection.  Been checking out sites like pricecharting.com and gamevaluenow.com and it has helped a lot.  They just don’t have any info on homebrews.  I’m just getting back into collecting, but I’ve been playing the Roms online.  Will support the developer on the games that I like. ?

If you want to play them and support the creators, homebrews are absolutely worth collecting. If you want to make money, they probably aren't. Except for a few extreme cases (Boulder Dash, Princess Rescue) homebrew prices don't typically to go up because most of them are always available. No one's going to pay a reseller more for a game than they can buying it directly from AtariAge, Good Deal Games, Packrat, etc. Even with limited run games there's no guarantee the price will go up. It all depends on how much demand there is for a particular game. Since the homebrew collecting community is relatively small, often there aren't enough people trying to get a game to drive the price up.

If you're looking to buy homebrews, go to the publisher sites first and buy from them when you can. That way your money goes back to the developers and the community.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, tailGator said:

@neotokeo2001 I hear ya, I’m not looking at it as an investment, just trying to not overpay for ones I don’t have as I grow my collection.  Been checking out sites like pricecharting.com and gamevaluenow.com and it has helped a lot.  They just don’t have any info on homebrews.  I’m just getting back into collecting, but I’ve been playing the Roms online.  Will support the developer on the games that I like. ?

I understand about not wanting to over pay. I would start with games from the atariage store. People on ebay try to sell them for more cash. The prices in the AA store are always the best.

• Thanks 1

The hours of enjoyment I get out of playing the games and the encouragement it provides for developers to continue to release physical copies of the game is all I expect back when I buy homebrew.

I also LOVE seeing new Atari 2600 games sitting on my shelf, the artwork on the packaging and the manuals is incredible on so many of the new releases.

- James

• Like 7

If your looking for investments probably not. They probably won't go down much, but as most are consistently available new, they are unlikely to go up either.

There are a few exceptions, like originals limited runs, but outside of something like princess rescue, I can't really think of any.

On 8/8/2020 at 9:21 AM, MrBeefy said:

I would collect the homebrews that speak to you and you want to play. Only limited run games like Boulder Dash seem to go up. I don't know if games discontinued like Princess Rescue hold any value.

That's right. Purchase the games you like. And going a step further, try to purchase games that are done in the style of the original machine. A homebrew IMHO should feel and play like a game from back in the day. For example it isn't satisfying (to me) to purchase a VCS game that has graphics that look like ColecoVision or Intellivision. If I want that style and mood of play, I'll just segue over to that system.

That's of course not to say don't get an ARM-enhanced game like Draconian or Stay Frosty or a ChampGames offering. Most of those keep the VCS'es style of playing. The sound and graphics have the same texture as a vintage game (on that system).

On 8/8/2020 at 3:50 PM, neotokeo2001 said:

Buy the games that you like/want. If you want to think of them as baseball cards that you collect on a shelf without playing then that is O.K., a lot of people do that. I play my games and try to keep them in good condition. With emulation getting better and space getting harder to come by I have started to play most my games in emulation and keep the game stored and protected.

Yes. I never (or very rarely) purchased games and hardware as investments. But I do have an interest in watching some of them go for thousands of dollars. Cheap and easy entertainment.

Emulation may be the best and most reliable and convenient way to play classic games in the future; whether it be on new "mini" hardware, or PC hardware, or a next-gen console compilation. There's not enough original hardware to last forever. It's in a constant state of decay. And more often than not, stuff from ebay needs some work. Technical work that not everyone is geared toward doing.

So collecting and whatnot while playing via emulation is a good way. Less wear and tear.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, keithbk said:

Just a question, on this topic...

Does anyone ever play "Another Adventure," the game I did?

I know you might not have the cartridge, but I did make the ROM freely available.

I actually was just playing the ROM on my Harmony cart the other day!

10 hours ago, keithbk said:

Just a question, on this topic...

Does anyone ever play "Another Adventure," the game I did?

I know you might not have the cartridge, but I did make the ROM freely available.

Hmm... been away for a while, not sure if I know about that game, time to find it and try it!