IGNORED

TBOX99 Bulletin Board System online

wolhess

Hello everybody,

A few months ago I started a small Bulletin Board System (BBS) project.

Beery Miller had already announced in January 2020 that he would convert the After Hours BBS system to Telnet communication

for the TI-99/4A home computer with Tipi extension. Even then, I thought it was a good idea to use my TI with this application.

In mid-May, Beery Miller made the BBS software available in the AtariAge forum. That was when I installed the software on my

second TI-99/4A with a Tipi extension. After all, the BBS system should run around the clock, 7/24 hours.

In addition to the BBS program, Beery also provided all source files. That gave me the idea of gradually converting my BBS system

to German. The changeover has not yet taken place in all areas, but the basic text information and parts of the menu control are

implemented in German. I set up the system texts in English and German.

The TBOX99 BBS system can be called with any Telnet client. A file transfer is possible with the XMODEM protocol.

The TBOX99 BBS system has been available since 05/20/2020 at the following address:

URL:  mytbox99.ddns.net

Port: 61643

In addition to my TBOX99 BBS system, there is a second AFTER HOURS BBS, which Arcadeshopper operates in the

original English version. The “THEKEEP” After Hours BBS can only be called from the “The Keep BBS”.

After logging into The Keep BBS, the After Hours BBS can be reached with the following two commands:

/go dialout + enter

then

d 19 + enter

Beery Miller has further developed the After Hours BBS system over the past few months. He has implemented a huge

download area with a very extensive menu structure and more than 3000 files available for the TI-99/4A and for the

Geneve computer. He has also implemented a search function that searches all files and brief information in the entire

download area for a specific term and lists the files found.

In addition to news and information in the message area, the BBS can now also be used as a program source for the

TI-99/4A and the Geneve computer.

For me this is a very good example of the practical (hobby) use of a retro computer!

For everyone who has not yet created an account in the TBOX99 BBS, I have converted the current TBOX99

newsletter #3 to pdf format. This issue explains how to download files from the BBS system.

The example uses the "Mass Transfer" (MXT) program on a TI99-4A.

The TBOX99 newsletter is a pure text file that can be displayed on practically any terminal.

TBOX99_#03_Newsletter.pdf

Here are also the previous editions of the TBOX99 newsletter:

Issue 2 contains an overview of the currently available hardware and software extensions for the TI-99/4A

as well as an illustration of the menu structure in the TBOX99 download area.

TBOX99_#02_Newsletter.pdf

Issue 1 contains brief information about the start of the BBS system

TBOX99_#01_Newsletter.pdf

If you feel like it, you can log into the TBOX99 system and simply take a look at the system or leave a message.

Wolfgang Hess (wolhess)

• Like 8

• 1 year later...

Hello, everyone,

In May 2020 I started using a small bulletin board system with TELNET access for TI-99/4a, GENEVE 9640 and other retro computer users.

The BBS system is based on the After Hours BBS adapted by Beery Miller for Telnet access. The original version 2.1 was developed by Ed Schaum in 1986.

In the meantime, I have adapted this BBS to the German language and for a few days now a second BBS system in the original English version has been online.

You can reach the German BBS system at the following address:

URL: mytbox99.ddns.net
Port: 61643

You can reach the new English BBS system at the following address:

URL: mytbox99.ddns.net
Port: 61644

Both BBS systems provide a very large download library with more than 2000 files. I have added some items to the online help file and I added a description for the file download to the online system information file.
For an ANSI capable Telnet client, the main menus are also displayed in color.

Here are a few pictures:

image.png.66a8209452b2d132c7f2a27cbcdc6e89.png  image.png.eb2ebac75b0b44dea22508f4cdbbc267.png

image.png.99aeee659f2be534c18d2136ac981477.png  image.png.d830d3ebb6fc304173534c8ce6d23111.png

Have fun trying!

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...