IGNORED

Kat5200 help - Bounty Bob, and trackball in Missile Command

jallen99

Humble request. I've looked all over for answers and just can't seem to find the solutions to these questions for the Kat5200 emulator:

1) How to get Bounty Bob Strikes Back to run: I see in the launcher where you can set up "automatic" or "40k Bounty Bob" cart types, but no matter what I select it just won't launch. I've got it running in other emulators, but prefer the simplicity of kat5200. I've tried several different roms, ones with "a52" and "bin" (all unzipped) and none of them run.

2) Trackball: Trying to use this for Missile Command but can't get it configured to work. I have a trackball that's connected to work like a mouse (part of an usb connected arcade board from rec room masters). I've tried setting the controller inputs to "Trackball", then setting up/down/left/right to mouse inputs. Not sure what Device Number it should have but tried "0" and "1". Toggled "Simulate Analog" on and off. Nothing seems to work. No matter what I try, either is does nothing, or any directional roll of the trackball causes the Missile Command targeting icon to inch down the screen.

3) Command Lines: I'm still confused on how to call functions in the command line. I'm using Launch Box as a front end, and trying to figure out what command line to use to call controller profiles. I have a standard two joystick profile where 90% of my games work with, then I have a different profile for Gorf because of the joystick sensitivity issue, and I'll need a third profile for Missile Command and the trackball (maybe I'll need a fourth profile for Bounty Bob, not sure). How do I call these different controller profiles in the command line?

Thanks SO much for any help you could provide! :)

6 hours ago, jallen99 said:

Humble request. I've looked all over for answers and just can't seem to find the solutions to these questions for the Kat5200 emulator:

1) How to get Bounty Bob Strikes Back to run: I see in the launcher where you can set up "automatic" or "40k Bounty Bob" cart types, but no matter what I select it just won't launch. I've got it running in other emulators, but prefer the simplicity of kat5200. I've tried several different roms, ones with "a52" and "bin" (all unzipped) and none of them run.

Try this ROM: Bounty Bob Strikes Back (Merged) (Big Five Software) (U).bin

This command line: image.thumb.png.fb941dd0acc5bd44c9a4537ca37459ab.png

Works fine:

image.thumb.png.53adce7e90690c3aa87763e2b28be933.png

6 hours ago, jallen99 said:

3) Command Lines: I'm still confused on how to call functions in the command line. I'm using Launch Box as a front end, and trying to figure out what command line to use to call controller profiles. I have a standard two joystick profile where 90% of my games work with, then I have a different profile for Gorf because of the joystick sensitivity issue, and I'll need a third profile for Missile Command and the trackball (maybe I'll need a fourth profile for Bounty Bob, not sure). How do I call these different controller profiles in the command line?

AFAIK, there is not a command line to call individual controller profiles.  All configuration data is stored in the kat5200.db3 file.  For each ROM loaded where there is a desired exception to the default controller scheme that has been configured, go back to 'Options --> Input' and map the way you want controls mapped for that particular ROM. 

Utilizing Gorf as an example, everything is mapped the same as for Pac-Man, except "Simulate Analog" is checked off.  There is no need to specify any command line switch for it, the controller configuration difference is stored in the same kat5200.db3 file.  When the respective ROM is loaded the controls update according to what was configured for it.

For some reason, it you wish or have created another kat5200.db3 configuration file, the command line to specify it is '-config'

See here for all the command line switch options.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2020 at 3:36 PM, jallen99 said:

2) Trackball: Trying to use this for Missile Command but can't get it configured to work. I have a trackball that's connected to work like a mouse (part of an usb connected arcade board from rec room masters). I've tried setting the controller inputs to "Trackball", then setting up/down/left/right to mouse inputs. Not sure what Device Number it should have but tried "0" and "1". Toggled "Simulate Analog" on and off. Nothing seems to work. No matter what I try, either is does nothing, or any directional roll of the trackball causes the Missile Command targeting icon to inch down the screen.

Issues "2)" and "3)" are very much linked to each other.  As mentioned before, load the ROM then go to  Options --> Input.  Map the inputs.  Automatically "Left" should be automatically set as the first input to map. 

image.png.488907986b04ef74aefe75818647ec8b.png

Click 'Auto-Detect'...

image.png.f0cdd439ba2709bbe43aaf3464f03d42.png

...and move the Trackball left.  After the input registers, select 'Right', click 'Auto-detect' and move the trackball right.  Follow the same pattern for Up, Down, and button mappings.  Every time that ROM is loaded, it will follow the configuration scheme that was configured for it.

I just performed the mapping with kat5200 0.8.1 with my mouse and it worked perfectly.  Again, go back to Pac-Man and it's controller scheme is in place.  Load up Gorf, and it's controller scheme automatically loaded.  Went back to Missile Command and the mouse now functions for it.

The key with the mappings is setting up a "Default" configuration for the majority of games in which this will be checked off:

image.png.495c257d65757e12409da50aa54561fb.png

For the games that fall outside of the Default, uncheck the above 'Use as Default' and map/configure the differences.

On 8/8/2020 at 3:36 PM, jallen99 said:

I've got it running in other emulators, but prefer the simplicity of kat5200.

I use Altirra most of the time for my Atari 8-bit/5200 fix; but long before it, kat5200 was my go to emulator for the 5200.  I always have a soft spot for it.  It's a great emulator.