IGNORED

trashed newdesk.inf on US C drive

Randy

Well, it looks like I trashed my desktop file and I can't boot the C drive which I replaced the files with a new copy of the Mega STe files in trying to get the features of TOS 2.06 which I am still struggling to get to working with the control panel, .ACCs, etc.  Peter's driver software comes up, but if it tries to boot the C drive, there is no HDs on the desktop.  However, I can select a different drive, like the D, E, up to H and I get that drive to come up and access the contents.  So I can get the E-H drives to show by installing the icons from the D drive and saving that desktop I guess.  What I would like to do is to get the C drive back to where it was and get the remaining drives to show up on the desktop, using the C drive as the primary boot drive.  If I use one of the other drives to boot from (D-H), is there a way to re-install the C drive on the desktop making it the primary drive without having to go back and reformat the whole SD card?  Right now, if I boot from a different partition on the card, it will boot but shows that drive as C on the desktop.  Thanks!

The condition of newdesk.inf only really has an effect on whether the drive icon is displayed on the desktop, and shouldn't stop you installing or accessing the C drive. There are two possibilities here, either your C partition is totally trashed and corrupted, in which case copying stuff off the card and then repartioning is going to be the easiest option. Alternatively you have just a corrupted newdesk file. If you are using TOS 2.06 you should be able to install the C drive icon again from the menu (I think 2.06 has the install devices menu entry?) and then save desktop. If its not coming up after that and you really want to try and recover it then maybe Diamond Edge might be able to help (as long as you aren't using long file names and plain FAT 12) or maybe Knife. It could be your FAT has got corrupted. Really I would just zap it (easy these days when you can just stick the SD card in the PC and copy thing back and forth) and start again. I would also check the SD card, is it a good brand?

• Like 1

On 8/14/2020 at 2:43 PM, TGB1718 said:

Can you let us know what you actually did to recover the system, just in case someone else has a similar problem

@Zogging Hell gave quite a few options , would be nice to know which one worked

It should be mentioned that only works on TOS 2.06 upwards. On original TOS it's a bit more manual. Single click an existing drive so it is highlighted, go to option menu, select install disk drive. A dialogue opens and you should enter the drive letter you want and its label. So if you want to install drive C enter 'C' in the drive identifier entry and then a label like hard disk. You can duplicate icons if you want this way as well so if for some reason you wanted another floppy A drive you could use the dialogue to add another one. There is a limit to the letters you can use (I think P is the latest alphabetical letter you can use iirc). Also small 'c' is used to add an icon for the cartridge port so be careful with case.