IGNORED

Atari 2600 Composite Install issue

55five66six

Hi Everyone, it's been awhile since I've been on the forums! 

I've recently had a resparked interest in Atari stuff and started turning my attention towards a project I had laying around that I never got to.

What I have is a Black Atari 2600 4 switch that I'm working on installing a composite video mod into. What prompted me to install a composite mod was not just because I wanted to get away from Coax. It was also because there seemed to be a problem with the video as well. About 5 years ago, someone gave me the suggestion of installing a composite mod and that it should fix the issue I was seeing. I forgot about until it lately and about 2 weeks ago, I got the bug to try the mod install.

This is what I bought: https://www.thefuturewas8bit.com/deluxe-atari-composite-video-mod.html

The picture I used as my guide is attached: 

Atari_2600_4_Switch_PAL_Composite_Mod_AFTER_TFW8b.thumb.jpg.73d9c2f342b761654fe039fa7a6c5454.jpg

This is the installation I did: 

IMG_0780.thumb.JPG.17f13576e3406b699297f9cea87a21b8.JPG

When I run a game, this is what I see: 

IMG_0781.thumb.JPG.cc27a137c4b792fc85af2cd03754a53a.JPG

Part of me is wondering if the TIA is hosed. I don't know how common that is, but looking at the main board, there doesn't seem to be much that COULD go wrong in the unit. I'm pretty surprised as to how simple it is. ? 

Any ideas of what I might be missing? Am I'm that far off with thinking the problem could be the TIA? If that's the case, is there a place I could get another one? 

On 8/12/2020 at 1:55 PM, Lohe said:

You did a PAL AV installation, but have a NTSC console? The picture you posted is for PAL consoles.

Apologies for that. I selected the wrong picture.. 

This is the place I used for the installation.. http://blog.tynemouthsoftware.co.uk/2018/09/atari-2600-ntsc-4-switch-composite-video-mod.html

The picture I should have used is this.. 

image.thumb.png.cdbbaa4e52bc2acc272335b6233515d5.png

Although both pictures look the same... 

I will say that the picture looks somewhat better.. 

1330168304_IMG_98482.thumb.JPG.b8f2dc5d78f848494040fcc3cf5895a5.JPGIMG_9426.thumb.JPG.f3ebf9ce506cc6e0f56bae5b83014004.JPGIMG_8789.thumb.JPG.0d575a863993583bd47dd1cc0b9f6690.JPG

I used Console5 for the cap replacement. I got the caps, did the replacement and the above is what I'm seeing now. I'm thinking I may replace the TIA next to see if that could possibly be the issue. I can't think of anything else being the culprit outside of the color pot, which does seem to work, just the color is hideous as you can see and we have the blocks/lines everywhere. 

Edited by SoilentGreen
Wrong picture.

Hm, didnt know you could just leave some parts on the PCB and those parts wont affect the video signal at the end. Perhaps someone else can have a look on the layout for the parts you left on the PcB and if they can stay there, but should desoldered by the installation pic for NTSC I posted earlier. I dont have a layout of NtSC consoles currently. But I know those tiny wires. Make sure, there is everything in its solder point and nothing is shorted by a tiny wire of the wire itself (magnifying glasses).

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...