IGNORED

Sears Race gatefold big box

Atari_Bill

Can someone confirm what’s supposed to be in the Original Sears big box Race?

Is the inside boxed game supposed to be the gatefold version?

I assume the racing controllers should be the Sears labeled version?

Did the racing controllers come in a separate interior box or just packaged in the big box with the boxed cart?

Just picked up a copy and I don’t think the contents are quite right.  I’ll have to piece together the correct contents if it’s what I think it is. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Atari_Bill said:

Can someone confirm what’s supposed to be in the Original Sears big box Race?

Is the inside boxed game supposed to be the gatefold version?

I assume the racing controllers should be the Sears labeled version?

Did the racing controllers come in a separate interior box or just packaged in the big box with the boxed cart?

Just picked up a copy and I don’t think the contents are quite right.  I’ll have to piece together the correct contents if it’s what I think it is. 

Bill, I don't know if this answers your questions, but here goes.  I'm attaching a scan from the book titled Classic 80s Home Video Games by Robert P. Wicker and Jason W. Brassard.  As you can see, for the Race big box, a complete set (fourth bullet point) would include the hang tab outer box and the gatefold cartridge box.  And under the controller (third bullet point), it looks like it came in a "standard box".

Hope this helps, at least partially.

race.thumb.jpg.db848355d59391c33de05f422af4a809.jpg

2 minutes ago, Atari_Bill said:

I’ve got that book too.  Guess I should have looked first. Thanks!  If I’m reading that right it sounds like the driving controllers should come in their own box. I don’t have that box if that’s the case.  

You're welcome.

Yeah, that's what it looks like - that the controllers came in their own box.

3 hours ago, Captain_Combat said:

Controllers are just loose in box. Here’s pics of the gatefold and regular contents to give you an idea what you’re looking for.

20A02ADB-DCEA-43BA-8D52-B823439A6ECC.jpeg

B79C7599-D0A8-4FAF-B51A-0F1A210C5FE8.jpeg

6758D7ED-66BB-46ED-A131-0DDD4EC7549F.jpeg

Thank you!   That was what I was hoping for having scoured the web and not finding a picture of a tele games driving controller box. I got the early box with hang tab but it has the regular race in it.  I’ve already got a gatefold Race so I can sub it out.  I’ll also have to replace with early edition driving controllers.  

19 hours ago, Atari_Bill said:

Thank you!   That was what I was hoping for having scoured the web and not finding a picture of a tele games driving controller box. I got the early box with hang tab but it has the regular race in it.  I’ve already got a gatefold Race so I can sub it out.  I’ll also have to replace with early edition driving controllers.  

Sure, it’s very tough getting info. When so few exist. I have to wonder if a orange box gatefold exist since the hangtab box is orange????? 

2 hours ago, Captain_Combat said:

Sure, it’s very tough getting info. When so few exist. I have to wonder if a orange box gatefold exist since the hangtab box is orange????? 

I always assumed not. It wouldn’t make sense to have made an Indy 500 or Race hangman for the big boxes and I doubt they were still making them by the time they released the gatefold cart only.  I have no knowledge either way, but that’s my assumption.