IGNORED

Forth, Fortran & Logo games for TI?

jrhodes

I am looking for any games made for the TI in the following languages:
Forth
Fortran
Logo

I know there is a game called Darkstar written in forth, would love to know if games written in Fortran and Logo for the TI are out there.
Jetpac is in forth and is on cart too

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The Amnion public domain collection had about a dozen disks of Logo programs in it. Some of them were games. IIRC.

I don't think I have ever seen a program written in FORTRAN for the 99/4A in the wild. I know there are a few out there, I just haven't ever personally seen one outside of the example programs included with the package.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think it might be interesting to set up a challenge for people to program games or demos using various languages other than assembly or BASIC.  For instance, the Chicago Faire is in October.  That gives two and a-half months to learn and exploit LOGO, coordinating with the Faire to demonstrate the top, say, four voted games or demos.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

I think it might be interesting to set up a challenge for people to program games or demos using various languages other than assembly or BASIC.  For instance, the Chicago Faire is in October.  That gives two and a-half months to learn and exploit LOGO, coordinating with the Faire to demonstrate the top, say, four voted games or demos.

I always wanted, me, or someone, to recreate games that are in xbasic into assembler. One day I'll start, but I've got to get at least one of my projects complete first, namely, SNP. But I do have a goal to convert...hmm is there a xbasic to assembler converter?

Or xB to forth converter, or how about just simple CALL Routines from xB to forth? 

1 hour ago, Vorticon said:

Can you post them by any chance?

I owned Asgard Software. I think they are available in various places on the Internet. To answer your question - I’ve never converted them into any sort of format that can be shared online.  I do have them on floppy disk though 

1 hour ago, Vorticon said:

Can you post them by any chan

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Yes we do need to get back at that.  I was bug killing. :) 

For what it's worth I have a Snake game and a re-write of Oregon Trail that can be contributed. 

Is it within people's expectations of this exercise if it they are packaged as source code that auto compiles when you start Forth?

• Like 5

21 hours ago, jrhodes said:

I am looking for any games made for the TI in the following languages:

Forth

Fortran
Logo

I know there is a game called Darkstar written in forth, would love to know if games written in Fortran and Logo for the TI are out there.

The only time I used LOGO (other than for shows recently) was when there was an adventure game published in 99er.

It was the October 1983 issue with the wizard on the cover.  (There was an XB wizard maze game that I must have typed in twice.)

https://archive.org/details/99er8310

It still seems magical. (We didn't know what was coming in the next month.)

• Like 1

On 8/9/2020 at 3:21 PM, GDMike said:

I always wanted, me, or someone, to recreate games that are in xbasic into assembler. One day I'll start, but I've got to get at least one of my projects complete first, namely, SNP. But I do have a goal to convert...hmm is there a xbasic to assembler converter?

Or xB to forth converter, or how about just simple CALL Routines from xB to forth? 

Yes, the XB Game Developer's Package has a compiler that will convert an XB program into assembly. There is about a 20-30x speed increase.

You have to use integer arithmetic which may require some rewriting. It's much easier to use integers when you are developing the XB program.

An example
10 IF RND>.5 THEN 100  does not work with compiler

10 IF INT(RND*2) =1 THEN 100 works properly

• Like 2

16 hours ago, senior_falcon said:

Yes, the XB Game Developer's Package has a compiler that will convert an XB program into assembly. There is about a 20-30x speed increase.

You have to use integer arithmetic which may require some rewriting. It's much easier to use integers when you are developing the XB program.

An example
10 IF RND>.5 THEN 100  does not work with compiler

10 IF INT(RND*2) =1 THEN 100 works properly

Definitely the fastest path to performance for a BASIC programmer. Much shallower learning curve and excellent performance increase.

Now converting BASIC to Forth... that might be an interesting challenge. :) 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheBF said:

Definitely the fastest path to performance for a BASIC programmer. Much shallower learning curve and excellent performance increase.

Now converting BASIC to Forth... that might be an interesting challenge. :) 

With the exception of integer math, the latest version of the compiler has removed most of the original limitations. I was able to compile Stratego, a large and complex program in XB, without issues which is frankly quite an achievement. 

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a version of Oregon Trail inspired by the BASIC version created by Majestx.

I kind of got into it and so it is 1000 lines of Forth and few library files included. :) 

I changed Forth so that it compiles the 4KB of text into VDP Ram to save CPU RAM space.

This meant it is easier to just start Forth and have it automatically compile the game. It takes about a minute to compile on Classic99.

Instructions:

1. Unpack the zip file to a DSK1 folder.
  2. Install Editor Assembler Cartridge
  3. Select Menu Option 5.
  4. At the prompt type DSK1.CAMEL99

It will take over, compile the game and run.
    The game source code is the file OREGON.

Oregon Trail building.png

DSK1.ORE.zip

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, DavidC said:

LOGO has always intrigued me for some reason.  Maybe because I am a child at heart.  Simple is better, keep it simple. If only there were more use for it in the real world...

You could probably write some games with it that would be pretty elegant code. I think everybody would be happy to see one, so throw your hat in the ring. :) 

Forth is "simple" as virtual machines go, but few people want to work at that level of simplicity because they have to do everything themselves.

Logo is "simple" because it has a ton of stuff under the hood. If you had to make your own Logo it would not be so simple I think.

It seems there is a rule of the universe that it is very hard to eliminate complexity. Our normal solution for tools is to try and hide it.

Sometimes that's good, sometimes not IMHO.

• Like 2