IGNORED

Opening a dialogue for SpartaDOS Source Code

tschak909

11 minutes ago, mytek said:

No surprise that yet another AA topic ended up in flames ;)

It's in the life cycle diagram.  You can't go against the diagram.  Read the book of Revelations... it's all totally in there!  You'll find similar stuff in the holy texts of all the world's major religions!

Not descending into flames is a sign of the end times!

• Haha 1

From the very onset, fragmentation has been the bane of the 8 bit Atari's existence. Differing amounts of RAM, different OS ROM's, different DOS implementations - It's one of the reasons the C64 became so popular, it was a stable platform with 64k of RAM that could be manipulated in a very flexible fashion meaning every game and demo ever made could run from the inbuilt 64k and be impressive.

There's a thread running right now concerning a certain game that runs on some hardware configurations and not others, we have a video player that requires differing implementations depending on the cart used as a storage medium, we have an audio player that suffers from the same issue - On the C64 almost everything runs according to Commodore's Ultimax and REU requirements re implemented in FPGA, there's one dominant video player and one dominant video codec. The audio player utilizes the REU which is a standard and simply plays back 44K WAV files or 22K Amiga IFF files (TBH, the Amiga files are a PITA as I can only find one package that converts them into 8SVX 2:1, and it's a proprietary product). There's been a number of different operating systems over the years, but the one that stood the test of time is in my experience 100% compatible with all software, it's fast and it's versatile with useful commands - It's also proprietary (but it's cheap and affordable).

I don't intend for this to be a Commodore vs Atari thread, but sometimes comparisons are necessary and I view the A8, not to mention the community as a whole, differently to most here.

Now explain to me how open sourcing what I consider to be the best Atari OS and one of the dominant strengths of the platform, and considering what I see to be a fairly toxic community with certain individuals only interested in their own personal agendas, will not fragment the A8 platform even more? Because as a long time Linux user that doesn't use Windows at all I know that open source literally implies fragmentation as certain individuals implement packaged operating systems conforming to what they believe to be important and not really what's needed by the community as a whole.

I am not buying every cart ever devised for the A8 just so I can run 100% of all software, In the same sense I'm not interested in three different SpartaDOS installs due to forking and fragmentation.

Furthermore, when replying drop all emotional outbursts at the door.

Edited by Mazzspeed
  • Like 2

Eh...

Uh.....

Might want to pick up a program at the door.  The feature presentation has ended. ;)

Those may be valid points, but if you want anyone to care, it might be better to start a new thread.  This thread stopped being a serious discussion back in 2020.

But that said, all the points are valid.  Though I wonder if things are as cohesive in Commodore/Apple/TSR80/TimexSinclair/Etc land.  If so... well.... uh.  *shrugs*

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Tillek said:

But that said, all the points are valid.  Though I wonder if things are as cohesive in Commodore/Apple/TSR80/TimexSinclair/Etc land.  If so... well.... uh.  *shrugs*

I am not actually a member of any Commodore forums, but I do visit regularly just to see what's new. I don't see Commodore users attacking Commodore users like I see here regarding Atari users. This is like a deathmatch game.

"Ultrakill!"

... and yet... when the killing was just about to stop because everyone was out of ammo and the flames had died down to smouldering embers... someone shows up with the gas can and box of matches.   ;)

But hey, it's the way of things.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tillek said:

... and yet... when the killing was just about to stop and the flames had died down to smouldering embers... you show up with the gas can and box of matches.

Honestly, I came here expecting a wealth of helpful information from knowledgeable people. I get more helpful information from the ##Atari IRC channel, FJC's video's and the BBS's I frequent.

This place is a mess.

Something we all have come to hate... but yet accept.  That's the problem with a free society where people are free to express their own opinions, no matter how enlightened or idiotic.

The trick is to wade through it to pick the good from the bad.  Like a salad made by a restaurant that won't take special requests.  Sure, you hate some of the ingredients... but the rest are so good.... you learn to pick out the onions and olives.

Or just go to Atari-forum.  I hear it's better there, but it tends to be more ST based I think.  I don't go there nearly as often as I should.  Or just stick to the BBS's... I hear you have a passing fancy with those. ;)

Things are generally fine here except for an occasional incident or certain individuals. Any forum that has more than a few people are going to have flame ups and personality conflicts. There are certain individuals here that I am not always thrilled with but I would say 99% of the regulars contribute positively to the Atari product experience. The ones that are really here to cause drama eventually leave. 

I actually moderate a popular PC hardware forum with a very popular 'Retro Hardware' sub forum where people share their retro projects covering a wide variety of machines - There's nothing but support and praise there, nothing like the behavior I see here.

Don't get me wrong, there's a number of individuals I truly respect on AA. The rest I could literally put on ignore with no impact whatsoever. Take that as you will, the fact I'm hanging around indicates I'm possibly part of the problem.

18 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

And with this (latest) outburst, any desire I had to see the source code released at all, let alone by my own hands, has entirely evaporated. I don't know if this will prove a useful lesson in how to persuade people to do what you want them to do.

I'm going to toss my few cents in the fray ...

Do this one thing for the community, if you ever feel it's time for you to leave the Atari hobby or ....

find a  way to pass what you have, and not just SDX, but everything, pass it on to someone you trust so that it's not lost.  The parts of SDX that I had spoken to ICD about, questions they had told me were not really possible to answer; those answers are now available in the programmers guide by DLT.  I just like the idea that the source is not lost and that if there is a serious question from the community, there are at least two good folks and the folks with DLT  that could look into the code and and provide an answer.  I myself, am one of those that keep hoping that the community doesn't lose (hasn't lost) all the  ... history Curt held.

13 hours ago, Tillek said:

It's in the life cycle diagram. 

Nah!

It's in the list of those who actively (and repeatedly) participated.

It's called common-factors.

And a colorful, call-for-action out of frustration, is not the real source of this thread crashing.

Instead, it is the emotional context-warping and dysfunctional argumentative style that made it collapse under its own weight.

That is the real pattern that repeats over and over. And this one was no exception.

3 minutes ago, Faicuai said:

I really don't know what you see every morning on your mirror, though...  Let us know...

Nothing aesthetically appealing, but if the ad-hominem comments you now see fit to roll out concern my character: I'm proud to say that although I have many failings, being unable to detect a world-class bullshitter from a mile off is not one of them.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

but if the ad-hominem comments you now see fit

Pfft !!

? You know exactly what you did. Don't hide behind it. We are already too old for this.

YOU made my point: an out-of-context argumentative style (pretending to be polite or funny?) and driving discussions to the ground.

And you are already doing it NOW on another thread with absolutely NO basis for it (as it rests there).

I think you have much more valuable things to do or focus on, I believe...

What did I do? As far as I understand it, I explained that I was in possession of the SDX source code, but that I was unwilling to release it to the community until its status and the terms of use were clarified, which they have not been. This would be a rather awkward position to be in were it not for my belief that respect for intellectual property and the wishes of the rights-holder should not require explanation. Then the OP came along and threw all his crayons out of the pram. I said 'Fuck this', because I don't need to deal with that kind of bullshit, and since the (initially quite reasonable) request for a 'dialogue' has morphed into a series of demands, 'protests', etc.

Is there anything I missed here?

Oh yes - you waving your dick around in the thread. :)

Edited by flashjazzcat
typo
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

What did I do? As far as I understand it,

Don't sweat it, no need.

It´s just two or three posts above...

Just an attempt to deconstruct a longer comment, residing on a specific context, by then fragmenting it (in an out-of-context fashion),  seking to discredit the original poster, and defusing the attention from the real issue on hand... and then asking "what did I do"?

It just does not work, Jon.  Maybe with someone else, though... but not with me.

Now, case in point, I guess we can now see why this thread already imploded, long ago...

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Mazzspeed said:

There's a thread running right now concerning a certain game that runs on some hardware configurations and not others, we have a video player that requires differing implementations depending on the cart used as a storage medium, we have an audio player that suffers from the same issue - On the C64 almost everything runs according to Commodore's Ultimax and REU requirements re implemented in FPGA, there's one dominant video player and one dominant video codec. The audio player utilizes the REU which is a standard and simply plays back 44K WAV files or 22K Amiga IFF files (TBH, the Amiga files are a PITA as I can only find one package that converts them into 8SVX 2:1, and it's a proprietary product). There's been a number of different operating systems over the years, but the one that stood the test of time is in my experience 100% compatible with all software, it's fast and it's versatile with useful commands - It's also proprietary (but it's cheap and affordable).

Seems boring to me... ;-)