tschak909

Opening a dialogue for SpartaDOS Source Code

23 hours ago, mytek said:

Thank you for inspiring me ;-)

I'm glad I did :)

23 hours ago, mytek said:

Coming soon from an Atari supplier... a somewhat condensed version of your MIDImuse.

SIO2MIDI-S2_top_noS2_1024.JPG

I appreciate very much that @ivop chose to release his MIDImuse project into the public domain. Its very nice when someone decides to do this, but not everyone should be expected to do the same. EDIT: The above design will also see a public gerber file release this Fall.

I agree that it's not an obligation, but in my experience it always leads to either nothing happens with your code (happened a lot of times to me, too), or it gets improved upon. Same with hardware designs. I really feel a bit of satisfaction about the fact that I some sort of "revived" the Atari 8-bit MIDI interface, and you picked it up, added it to the 1088XLD design, backported it to the 1088XEL, created a stand-alone version (SIO2MIDI), and now added the WaveBlaster port again :) Not that it matters, but I agree on your decision to drop the THRU port. And just powering it with +5V/GND, it could also be used as a stand-alone WaveBlaster host. Very cool!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stephen said:

The ignore feature on this forum is shit because it doesn't ignore quotes.

And it only "hides" it, which is way too much temptation to see what they posted "just this once".

• Haha 1

On 8/9/2020 at 1:19 PM, flashjazzcat said:

Another problem is getting the original build tools to work.

Can you tell us a little more about them?  Since they're of little interest to all but a few people would you have any problem releasing them?

Posted (edited)

Unless there is more out in the wild than I have, the "original build tools" consist of these files:

1) XASM65.EXE, or "ICD Cross Assembler", serial number #0001 :)

2) MAKECAR.EXE

3) MAKEBIN.COM

The first two are MS-DOS 8086 executables and do not work on Windows. Both are written in Borland Turbo C. There is the source module for MAKECAR.EXE.

Also there is a source module for XASM65.EXE, named XASM65.C, but, judging from the project file XASM65.PRJ, it is only one source file out of the total of about 20 other *.C and *.H files, and apart of that one all others are missing.

Edited by drac030
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, drac030 said:

Unless there is more out in the wild than I have, the "original build tools" consist of these files:

1) XASM65.EXE, or "ICD Cross Assembler", serial number #0001 :)

2) MAKECAR.EXE

3) MAKEBIN.COM

The first two are MS-DOS 8086 executables and do not work on Windows. Both are written in Borland Turbo C. There is the source module for MAKECAR.EXE.

Also there is a source module for XASM65.EXE, named XASM65.C, but, judging from the project file XASM65.PRJ, it is only one source file out of the total of about 20 other *.C and *.H files, and apart of that one all others are missing.

Interesting.  The assembler serial is the same with version 1.40 of XASM65 used to build the original MIO code.  Additionally, there is another utility (also MS-DOS) XLINK.EXE (ICD Object Linker) v1.00 that is serial #00000.

On 5/11/2021 at 9:05 PM, Alfred said:

I'll text him and say since I never heard from him I'm going to release the code. Maybe that will get him off his ass.

Mike has responded without answering. Awaiting further responses.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I spoke with Mike this afternoon. His life is in a bit of turmoil, he’s having to move on short (a week) notice among other things. He’s asked me to hold off on releasing anything until he gets settled in his new place, which should be in a couple of weeks. So we’ll see.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1