Jump to content
Magmavision2000

Best Nintendo System(s) (In Your Opinion)

Best Nintendo System  

46 members have voted

  1. 1. Ech.

    • Pre NES/Famicom Systems (Color TV-Game, and Game and Watch)
      1
    • NES/Famicom
      23
    • Famicom Disk System (Yes, it's a new system)
      5
    • SNES/Super Famicom
      19
    • Nintendo 64
      4
    • 64DD
      1
    • GameCube
      9
    • Wii
      9
    • WiiU
      3
    • Switch
      8
    • Gameboy
      10
    • Gameboy Color
      4
    • Gameboy Advance
      11
    • Nintendo DS
      3
    • Nintendo 3DS
      4
    • Virtual Boy
      2
    • Other (iQue Player, Pokemon Mini, etc.)
      1


Recommended Posts

I'm a big fan of the NES, GameCube, and Switch personally. Since I think they all brought something new to the table (except for the GameCube). The NES was one of the most graphically advanced systems at the time of it's original release, the Switch kind of reinvented handhelds (I mean the Super Gameboy came out 2 decades earlier, but the Switch has it's own line of games), and the GameCube is my first system, so it gets a special place in my heart.

 

What's your favorite Nintendo system(s)? I'd like to know!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty much an absolute tie for me between NES/SNES.

 

I have very fond memories of seeing and playing games like Deadly Towers and Faxanadu BITD, and love them to this day...Plus first memories of Mario, Zelda, Dragon Warrior, Castlevania, etc.

 

And there's a much bigger spread of games for SNES, and each with more potential, just given the graphical and sound capabilities.   Instantly I think of Breath of Fire, Chrono Trigger, Street Fighter II/Mortal Kombat, lots of platformers like Bubsy etc.,  Mario Kart, cool shmups, Jaki Crush (Pinball for SFC, which I discovered after Alien Crush, Devil's Crush, etc.), ...Plus,  the weird music of Cool World,  the 3D of Jim Powers, the parallax scrolling, the Mode 7 stuff, etc.  

 

To cast a vote, I chose the SNES simply because there were more styles of games I suppose...

 

I also love the handhelds, and the Wii, and now that I have a Wii U, I am digging that...(My current choice to collect for)...

 

I've never owned a Switch, so can't comment, but the stories of warped screens, and controllers that wear out too fast, not to mention look all wrong (IMO) as far as button placement etc., are not making me want one very soon.  Then again this is the Internet and every complaint gets overblown it seems;  Plus I take care of my stuff,  so who knows what my experience would actually be?...

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I kicked a hornets nest in the Ataribox thread about nintendo consoles lol. 

 

But as I said there, I usually have at least two consoles out from nintendo and also usually used the most too. 

 

The things I hate about nintendo is also the things that make it a good company commercially wise, and also why a lot of my favourite games are exclusive on their consoles. Snes is a powerhouse for its era, and I really like the mega drive, so that was my first option. Commercial failures Gamecube and Wii U are my other favourites. I just really like them. My reasons for gamecube probably isn't any different from the mainstream - really good controller. Great for Multiplayer action, easy to move, gba player and an excellent selection of first and second party games. I still consider it weak compared to xbox and ps2 but I still have a number of titles I enjoy playing. Wii U... I can't explain why I like it to be honest. I like the controller, though it still could have used more use and also more options to not use it... It feels like a smaller library I have some hope of completing too so for a modern console to me it's fairly collectable. With wii capability too though, wii u and gamecube secures almost all of my current Nintendo needs, and if the snes is out too, that's a good portion of Nintendo library right there. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NES

Wii

"Game of Advance"

 

For me, the whole 16-bit era just feels like a repeat of the 8-bit with more color.  I own systems and flashcarts for that whole era, and I can rarely ever make my self actually play those games.  Even the arcade stuff just kinda feels uninteresting.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, wongojack said:

 

"Game of Advance"

 

 

I just noticed that. I hate auto correct with a passion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I loved the NES growing up, and I remember being thrilled initially with the outstanding graphics and sound the SNES of which the was capable.  However, I definitely lost interest in gaming during the 16-bit era, and only regained interest when I purchased a Playstation.

 

The problem with the SNES for me was that it just seemed like a retread of the NES library, but with much less representation by smaller developers that made the NES library so fun and varied (examples off the top of my head: Faxanadu, Golgo 13, Ninja Gaiden, Guardian Legend, Magic of Scheherazade, Blaster Master).  Sure, titles from Nintendo and the top-tier third-party developers (Square, Konami, and Capcom) are some of the best games ever made (and, thankfully, these developers were very prolific during this generation), but I have trouble getting interested in the unambitious platformers that make up much of the rest of the library.  It feels like the SNES brought the truly talented/well-funded developers into the stratosphere, but reduced everyone else to slumming it by (often poorly) cloning whatever genre was hot at the moment.

 

Now, in the age of flash carts and emulation, it's easy for anyone to go back and take a comprehensive look at a system's entire library, and my opinion hasn't changed.  The NES has it all, masterpieces from top-tier developers, hidden gems, weird experiments that somehow work, weird experiments that don't work but are worth playing, and of course tons of garbage.  It's a lot of fun to explore the library and you have a good chance of finding a hidden gem even by picking random games.  In contrast, it's almost a chore on the SNES to sift through the licensed garbage, by-the-numbers platformers, and Japanese mahjong/pachinko/pachislot/baseball games on my SD2SNES flash cart!

Edited by newtmonkey
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Super Nintendo would be first for me, yes it's mostly a rehashed nes, but the games are far more refined on the snes. It also has many unique games that got their start there (console wise, many of played on pc of the era) games like lemmings, populous, non final fantasy rpgs (nothing wrong with ff either) mariokart, f zero, starfox, doom and plenty of others.

 

I've never been one to stay glued to a tv, so all the handhelds are great too. Gba being my favorite there, being most like snes from a capabilities standpoint, and being fully bc to dmg didn't hurt either.

 

Switch is amazing and all, the screen and controller issues are imo overblown (some of us know how to take care of our stuff) but due to far to many games that could make it an absolutely stellar handheld being broken, it's unlikely to make my favorites of all time list.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, newtmonkey said:

I loved the NES growing up, and I remember being thrilled initially with the outstanding graphics and sound the SNES of which the was capable.  However, I definitely lost interest in gaming during the 16-bit era, and only regained interest when I purchased a Playstation.

 

The problem with the SNES for me was that it just seemed like a retread of the NES library, but with much less representation by smaller developers that made the NES library so fun and varied (examples off the top of my head: Faxanadu, Golgo 13, Ninja Gaiden, Guardian Legend, Magic of Scheherazade, Blaster Master).  Sure, titles from Nintendo and the top-tier third-party developers (Square, Konami, and Capcom) are some of the best games ever made (and, thankfully, these developers were very prolific during this generation), but I have trouble getting interested in the unambitious platformers that make up much of the rest of the library.  It feels like the SNES brought the truly talented/well-funded developers into the stratosphere, but reduced everyone else to slumming it by (often poorly) cloning whatever genre was hot at the moment.

 

Now, in the age of flash carts and emulation, it's easy for anyone to go back and take a comprehensive look at a system's entire library, and my opinion hasn't changed.  The NES has it all, masterpieces from top-tier developers, hidden gems, weird experiments that somehow work, weird experiments that don't work but are worth playing, and of course tons of garbage.  It's a lot of fun to explore the library and you have a good chance of finding a hidden gem even by picking random games.  In contrast, it's almost a chore on the SNES to sift through the licensed garbage, by-the-numbers platformers, and Japanese mahjong/pachinko/pachislot/baseball games on my SD2SNES flash cart!

bingo GIF

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NES to me, for a lot of the reasons outlined above.  The sheer variety of games is fantastic, both in terms of genre and ... origin, if that makes sense.  It had JRPGs and CRPGs, for example.  It had arcade ports, computer game ports, more pure "console" games, big budget games and smaller off-the-wall, niche games.  It had just enough tech (like battery backup carts) to facilitate a broader array of games - and there are typically several high-quality examples in each.  It had depth plus pick-up-and-play appeal.

 

The SNES iterated on that and did a lot of great stuff, but didn't cover quite as much ground IMHO.

I enjoyed the Wii quite a bit, but too many of the games had janky controls.  Perhaps if it had Wii Motion Plus from the get-go some of the ports and originals would have controlled better.  Still, IMHO the Wii has a much stronger library than it gets credit for.

 

I've never been a big handheld gamer, but to me the DS was the first handheld I could sit and enjoy for more than a few minutes.  It came out of the blue but I found myself really enjoying it.  The screen is excellent and the library is amazing.

Edited by BydoEmpire
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't want to go overkill, picked one console and one handheld (SNES and Gameboy.)  I think they had the most long term impactful footprint both for lasting design and lasting fun, stuff that aged well and still stands up nicely after all this time.  They both broke some solid ground and set new bars for quality in their times.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I owned an NES and SNES growing up. Once I received an N64 for Christmas I don’t remember thinking about the NES or SNES anymore except for the occasional Street fighter 2 match. I felt the N64 really delivered on all of the hype especially when it came to Mario 64, and Mario kart 64, and Killer Instinct. I never really liked another Nintendo console until the Wii U. I’ve owned a few Gamecubes with component cables and a full set of wavebirds. I have to admit that the wavebird is an amazing wireless controller. My favorite game on the GameCube is Mario Golf. I still play a few rounds ever couple months on the Wii. That’s the only good thing I can say about the Wii really is that it has cheap component cables(they aren’t as crisp looking to my eyes as the GameCube component cables), and that it plays GameCube games. The Wii U is my current go to console. I love the accessibility a modded Wii U has, and that it has Super Meat boy.

 

So to sum it up

 

1. Wii U

2. N64

3. GameCube

4. SNES

5. NES

 

I’m hoping the Switch 2 really rocks my sox.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/10/2020 at 1:29 PM, BydoEmpire said:

NES to me, for a lot of the reasons outlined above.  The sheer variety of games is fantastic, both in terms of genre and ... origin, if that makes sense.  It had JRPGs and CRPGs, for example.  It had arcade ports, computer game ports, more pure "console" games, big budget games and smaller off-the-wall, niche games.  It had just enough tech (like battery backup carts) to facilitate a broader array of games - and there are typically several high-quality examples in each.  It had depth plus pick-up-and-play appeal.

 

The SNES iterated on that and did a lot of great stuff, but didn't cover quite as much ground IMHO.

I enjoyed the Wii quite a bit, but too many of the games had janky controls.  Perhaps if it had Wii Motion Plus from the get-go some of the ports and originals would have controlled better.  Still, IMHO the Wii has a much stronger library than it gets credit for.

 

I've never been a big handheld gamer, but to me the DS was the first handheld I could sit and enjoy for more than a few minutes.  It came out of the blue but I found myself really enjoying it.  The screen is excellent and the library is amazing.

Agree, I LOVE the SNES, but the NES did it first and is so expanded because it was really blazing a new trail. Up to that point games were pretty simplistic on console, NES changed that. Sure the SNES is better in every way when it comes to specs, it was mostly improving what the NES did (graphics, music, etc), but NES really blazed the trail.

 

Of course if you argue about the SNES controller, mode 7, sound chip... well, I wouldn't hate you for putting it first!

 

For those of you putting other Nintendo systems first, I can only assume it's because you're not as old as me!  I started with VCS, so I've seen the progression. I LOVE the Wii U (I have 3 of them!), Gamecube, yup, but as far as new and interesting... NES!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It depends on my mood, but overall I'd probably have to say the NES is my favorite Nintendo system. It checks all the boxes for me: great library, collectibility (large amount of games, peripherals, and accessories), nostalgia, simplicity, and playability. Number 2 is a tie between Game Boy Color and N64, for many of the same reasons--lots of great games and great memories, gameplay that still holds up, and various hardware variants and peripherals to collect. Number 3 would be SNES, which seems like it should be higher, but 16-bit stuff isn't really on my radar as much (I think I burned out on it growing up during the Bit Wars 😵😅).

 

GameCube was actually pretty cool, too. It got kind of poo-pooed in its day, but I liked Mario Sunshine, Rogue Squadron II, and Resident Evil. I basically dropped out of consoles after that generation, and the Wii and WiiU struck me as a bit gimmicky anyway, so I have zero interest there. I hear great things about the Switch but I don't care enough to get one--I'd rather spend my money and time on other stuff. Virtual Boy is another "don't care" for me--although I do regret not buying one on clearance for $10 at KayBee in 1997 when I had the chance! 😆

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NES and Wii. 

 

The library on the NES had so many 80s arcade games like Galaga, Donkey Kong, Ms. Pan-Man, Life Force and Contra.  

 

The Wii is pretty amazing. Being that it can play GameCube games and also has a large library. With the pandemic my family has been playing a bunch of first party titles.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I never had an NES (or SNES) when the system was current, but in recent years I have begun exploring what I missed.

 

I love some of the simpler games on the NES; they are fun to play in short stretches, not unlike Atari 2600 games.

 

I especially love the many RPGs on the SNES -- NES RPGs are (for the most part) just too simplistic and lack depth.

 

I have utterly no interest in any of the handhelds; the screens are just too small for me to play comfortably.

 

I have no experience with the N64 or the Wii, and I understand that there are not too many RPGs on either system. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have so far refrained from voting because I couldn't decide, but I finally decided on GameCube and GBA. I remember always loving the GBA, although now that I think about it, I can't remember why I loved it so much aside from Metroid.

 

I'd add the Switch, but I decided not to. Not only does it have some hardware problems, but the system isn't dead yet and games are still being made for it. Maybe I'll think about it again after the Switch is dead. It is up there at the top for sure, though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I have so far refrained from voting because I couldn't decide, but I finally decided on GameCube and GBA. I remember always loving the GBA, although now that I think about it, I can't remember why I loved it so much aside from Metroid.

 

I'd add the Switch, but I decided not to. Not only does it have some hardware problems, but the system isn't dead yet and games are still being made for it. Maybe I'll think about it again after the Switch is dead. It is up there at the top for sure, though.

GBA Castlevania games?   Just a guess...I love those!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

GBA Castlevania games?   Just a guess...I love those!

Never played them. Actually never played Castlevania until last February, but I do want to get the GBA ones eventually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GBC was an odd one, Nintendo insisting it was a new handheld, yet clearly it's no more 'new' than the DSi, or the New 2DS/3DS line -- clearly a hardware refresh.  Yet the simple act of doubling the cpu speed, ram size, and a little extra wram too and that little handheld did some insane stuff you'd never expect the GB to handle.  Full blown warcraft clone, 2bit color copy of the laserdisc game Dragon's Lair, the classic pc(etc) game Cannon Fodder, Metal Gear Solid, Project S11 with its seemingly unexplainable huge sprite totals with no clip/lag, and other interesting one offs that really pushed the limits and then some.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...