IGNORED

I got the fever / Activision question

T.A.P.

After getting bit with the nostalgia but last week and rebuying an Atari 7800, I've started to go crazy and buy 2600 games again.

I had a modest collection as a teen, but sold it all about a decade ago to free up space.

Now I've started collecting again, this time trying for just complete boxed copies (none of the games I've wanted are particularly pricey). It's partly for the added challenge, and partly to keep myself from buying too much stuff too quickly.

Of course, I wasn't expecting Atari stuff to be so plentiful, and in the past two days I've already built a pretty modest collection just from checking out the local game stores.

So far, here's what I've managed to snag:

Imagic:

Atlantis - Picture on the cart version

Cosmic Arc - Picture on the cart version

Activision:

Boxing - Blue Cart, pinkish box, black & white instruction book

Chopper Command - Yellow cart, maroon box, black & white instruction book

Skiing

Starmaster - This was a blind buy based solely on the box art, hope I don't regret it.

Parker Brothers:

Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back - a childhood favorite

I'm just waiting for my system to get here so I can fire this stuff up!

I do have a question about Boxing and Chopper Command. From the little bit of info I've dug up on here, it sounds like those are later re-issues? Are those properly complete copies I snagged, or did someone just Frankenstein them together? I noticed the address printed on the manuals is different from the boxes. Is that normal?

• Like 3

I also got the fever and I am up to almost 200 CIB 2600 games ? ? ?

Starmaster is one of the top 2600 games. The only thing is is that it uses the switches on the 2600 to change display views. Since the 7800 has a different switch style, I'm not sure whether playability is impacted.

I didn't realize there were Chopper Command box variations. I have the more common tan box. I'm not sure about the address issue. ?‍♂️

I think your Boxing is legit. The later blue label cart came in a more pinkish box. The original screen shot pic label box was red. 

You Chopper Command however is likely a Frankensteined CIB. The Maroon box and black and white manual belong together but you it would have come with a blue label cart. 

I hope this helps. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, T.A.P. said:

Thanks for the heads up.

Is there much demand for the variants? I'd honesty prefer to have the older style ones, and may try to swap 'em/hunt down the other kind.

Boxing it probably the most common out of the Blue Labels Boxed. It can often be found sealed. 

Chopper Command not quite as common in the Maroon Box. At one point I was going to try and chase down all of the blue label boxes but I have chilled out on that. I would have to get a really good deal on one to justify buying it and taking up more space. LOL. 

I still don't have a RED Boxing box. I got the pink one and have just lived with it even though the rest of my CIB set is all non-blue label boxes.