IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 13 - Game 5 - Pac-man

33 minutes ago, fakecortex said:

Quite the respectable Pac-Man port. Still trying to get the hang of this version and submit a decent score. Every time I play a different version I have to unlearn everything I expect, hah.

Exactly!! I couldn’t crack 10k for three days! It’s nothing like the arcade version - strategy-wise! 

• Like 1

Yes, it’s a good port... wish I had it during the Pac-Man craze.... but if I had a mint condition arcade Pac-Man in my house, I still wouldn’t play it. So the squished version on the Intellivision doesn’t excite me .... I’m trying my best to summon my Pac-Man fever that I had in 1980 just to participate here :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, INTELLIVISION SPARTAN said:

Yes, it’s a good port... wish I had it during the Pac-Man craze.... but if I had a mint condition arcade Pac-Man in my house, I still wouldn’t play it. So the squished version on the Intellivision doesn’t excite me .... I’m trying my best to summon my Pac-Man fever that I had in 1980 just to participate here :) 

If a kid from the 80s had a mint pac man cabinet, they wouldn't play the intellivision port either! ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Almost none of my old tricks work on this port ... my "famous tunnel evasion" trick - on Intellivision, they clog the tunnels every time ... my "eat the power pellet and the ghost at the same time" trick ... No ... the ghost eats me every time - I guess after trying 20 times I've learnt my lesson. There's no tricks on this port. Just "eat the freaking dots as fast as you can and get the H out of there". :)

• Haha 1

I'm at 50,000 thinking it's near impossible for me to do better ........ Hard to believe for you folks that I was incredible at arcade pac-man. I had no patterns but I could clear a couple dozen boards with one quarter. None of my old tricks work here. I came up with a couple of minimal tricks on this one that help a bit. I'm just glad that I led the pac-man leaderboard for that long !!!! Woooohoooooo :) :) (One day). 

1 minute ago, INTELLIVISION SPARTAN said:

I'm at 50,000 thinking it's near impossible for me to do better ........ Hard to believe for you folks that I was incredible at arcade pac-man. I had no patterns but I could clear a couple dozen boards with one quarter. None of my old tricks work here. I came up with a couple of minimal tricks on this one that help a bit. I'm just glad that I led the pac-man leaderboard for that long !!!! Woooohoooooo :) :) (One day). 

The original Pac-Man was pattern memorization, I have seen lots of people crush that game.  This one is a helluva lot different, which is cool in my opinion.

I posted my score about 3 hours after you did last night, not sure if you realized that.  So it wasn't even one whole day.  LOL.  Ribbing you again.

Just now, INTELLIVISION SPARTAN said:

Oh shit.... I didn’t know that score came a few hours later :( 

Ok... being the leader of the pac-man scoring list DEFINITELY was not quite a while!!! I thought it was almost one day. 

Never mind! 

LOL!  The good thing is there are 12 more days of this game.

• Thanks 1

I just don’t get why I can’t eat the power pellet and the ghost at the same time. That was a staple move on the arcade version. it allowed me to eat at least 2 ghosts if not 3 ghosts with every Power pellet. 

It should have been programmed into this version. It’s as if the programmer never played Pac Man. 

it’s also programmed on this version to clog-up the tunnel if you go into it. No problem... it just makes this version more difficult than the arcade version. That doesn’t bother me. 

The squished maze on this version doesn’t bother me. The points per fruit doesn’t bother me. 

But the timing on the power-pellet. That’s a blatant mistake.  

34 minutes ago, INTELLIVISION SPARTAN said:

I just don’t get why I can’t eat the power pellet and the ghost at the same time. That was a staple move on the arcade version. it allowed me to eat at least 2 ghosts if not 3 ghosts with every Power pellet. 

It should have been programmed into this version. It’s as if the programmer never played Pac Man. 

it’s also programed on this version to clog-up the tunnel if you go into it. No problem... it just makes this version more difficult than the arcade version. That doesn’t bother me. 

The squished maze on this version doesn’t bother me. The points per fruit doesn’t bother me. 

But the timing on the power-pellet. That’s a blatant mistake.  

I do agree that this version is harder than the arcade version.  I think that's the refreshing thing about this port because it is different.  I don't want the same old Pac-Man all the time.  And it does force you to make sure you eat the pellet before the ghost comes, that's for sure, so you have a fair point there.  Just have to adjust for it though.  The one thing that I wish they addressed is how fast the ghosts re-spawn after they are eaten.  It's almost as if we shouldn't eat them, and focus on completing the board and eating the fruit instead.  If they made them re-spawn slower, it would give more incentive to eating the ghosts for those points.  That's my only complaint, otherwise I enjoy this one.  I would play this one all day over the vomit inducing Atari VCS version...anytime.  ?

Edited by IntyFanMatt
  • Haha 1

Thanks for agreeing that the power-pellet-timing is a little off. And I TOTALLY agree... when I have to complete a corner that's near the ghost-box, I now purposely don't eat the ghost because he'll just come right back and stop me from completing the board ... it's one of my strategies !!! And YES it's 1000 % better than the Atari game. I'm only complaining because I SUCK on this version and its VERY frustrating :)  I said earlier ... had this come out in 1980 or 1981 it would have been the absolute BOMB (as in totally amazing).

3 minutes ago, INTELLIVISION SPARTAN said:

Thanks for agreeing that the power-pellet-timing is a little off. And I TOTALLY agree... when I have to complete a corner that's near the ghost-box, I now purposely don't eat the ghost because he'll just come right back and stop me from completing the board ... it's one of my strategies !!! And YES it's 1000 % better than the Atari game. I'm only complaining because I SUCK on this version and its VERY frustrating :)  I said earlier ... had this come out in 1980 or 1981 it would have been the absolute BOMB (as in totally amazing).

LOL, true.  But I don't want you to be complaining because you feel you "suck", lol.  Just have fun no matter what, try to learn it over the next 12 days, and enjoy the ride.  It's hard to master every game the system has.

Edited by IntyFanMatt
  • Thanks 1

Guys !!! I hit a MIRACLE GAME. I'm the first one to admit I was 100% lucky many times in this game. But I'll take it !!! Many times the ghost turned away from double-teaming me... when I was cooked. It happened about 5 times. Pure luck ... but I'll take it :) :). I'm actually getting "better". And I'm kind of enjoying the game :) I never thought I would say that !

IMG_4663.JPG

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, INTELLIVISION SPARTAN said:

Guys !!! I hit a MIRACLE GAME. I'm the first one to admit I was 100% lucky many times in this game. But I'll take it !!! Many times the ghost turned away from double-teaming me... when I was cooked. It happened about 5 times. Pure luck ... but I'll take it :) :). I'm actually getting "better". And I'm kind of enjoying the game :) I never thought I would say that !

IMG_4663.JPG

LOL!!  See how quickly that changed!  Complaining one second, and excited the next.  You certainly ride those emotions LOL!  Nice score.  Might not last too long here though.  ?