IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 13 - Game 5 - Pac-man

29 minutes ago, INTELLIVISION SPARTAN said:

I drag the game-name to the rectangle from the software that came with my orange cartridge; then I cross my fingers that the orange cartridge will play my game. 

The orange cartridge uses the same .cfg files, but they are not needed for most rom image files of Mattel cartridges.  If you do have trouble, the .cfg file is something to look at.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 2

Luckily I haven’t had much trouble with the orange carriage... so if a dope like me can use it, it was extremely well made. Good to know where the resident expert is !!!

Getting back to this Pac-Man game; I’m so proud of myself for doing so well; being that I never played it. I only got two feedback hearts on my last score ... but that’s ok! 

For anyone new to this game, I have a great tip for you: forget everything you know about arcade Pac-Man. This one is its own animal. Still just as fun but plays very different. 

I had to unlearn everything I knew to try to get better. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, INTELLIVISION SPARTAN said:

I only got two feedback hearts on my last score ... but that’s ok! 

Settle down there Sparty, this isn’t Facebook. ?

Remember, it’s still mid-week and many people haven’t even logged online to look at the Pac-Man thread, let alone play the game. They’re probably at work. For example, we’ve barely seen Biffman and he is one of our season leaders. And only a handful of people have entered scores so far this week. 

Edited by IntyFanMatt
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, IntyFanMatt said:

Settle down there Sparty, this isn’t Facebook. ?

Remember, it’s still mid-week and many people haven’t even logged online to look at the Pac-Man thread, let alone play the game. They’re probably at work. For example, we’ve barely seen Biffman and he is one of our season leaders. And only a handful of people have entered scores so far this week. 

I lost my job in the Corona virus, so I have a little more time than normal. But I also have two kids, age 2 and 5. So it balances out.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Just now, Intelligentleman said:

I lost my job in the Corona virus, so I have a little more time than normal. But I also have two kids, age 2 and 5. So it balances out.

Sorry to hear that man!  I’m a recruiter and I know lots of people in that same situation.  This year really sucks!  And having 2 young kids is a second job, I have 2 myself. ?. Finding time to play games can be very tough indeed. 

• Like 1

Oh cmon guys!!! I’m clearly kidding about feedback! :) 

Yes, I have a daughter and I’m getting work whenever I can.  we’re in the same boat. This club is really helping me A LOT coping with the stress of Covid. 

I’ve been secretly including my daughter in the Intellivision play. She just turned 11. Sometimes we’re taking turns on the HSC games. She learnt the steering in auto racing in two days! And got her time down to 4:12 on course 1. I’m thinking she’s doing better than I did when I bought the game! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, INTELLIVISION SPARTAN said:

Oh cmon guys!!! I’m clearly kidding about feedback! :) 

FYI...it's just me ribbing you and messaging you, not the rest of everyone here.  So no need to say "guys" because it sounds like you are referring to everyone else as if they are all messaging you.  ? 

Edited by IntyFanMatt

4 hours ago, INTELLIVISION SPARTAN said:

Luckily I haven’t had much trouble with the orange carriage... so if a dope like me can use it, it was extremely well made. Good to know where the resident expert is !!!

The guy that engineered the thing and the guy that wrote the software are both on atariage.  They usually respond to questions.

Edit:

So, do any of you guys use patterns for intellivision pac-man?

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, mr_me said:

Edit:

Not really since the behavior of the ghosts change a bit, but in general, I like to clear the bottom half first, eat the fruit, bell, or key, then while clearing the top, eat the item the second time.  That should save me one or two power pellets at the top half so I can clear the screen easier.  Just getting to the keys is "key", excuse the pun lol.

8 minutes ago, IntyFanMatt said:

Not really since the behavior of the ghosts change a bit, but in general, I like to clear the bottom half first, eat the fruit, bell, or key, then while clearing the top, eat the item the second time.  That should save me one or two power pellets at the top half so I can clear the screen easier.  Just getting to the keys is "key", excuse the pun lol.

Yeah for whatever reason, I head down to the bottom of the map and try to get into the nooks and crannies before the ghosts come down to hassle me.

11 hours ago, mr_me said:

I’ll share my patterns: 

I go down and clear the tough center dots then to the very bottom. I head right and Take out half of the bottom row and head to the power pellet. I wait for the ghosts to come. I eat the pellet and 2-3 ghosts and head to the prize. 

After I get the prize it’s tricky. I go where the ghosts ain’t and head to the closest power pellet. 

I clear as many dots as I can around the power pellet, and eat it at the last second, and eat 2-3 ghosts. I make a straight path that will eat a few dots and get me to the prize again. I eat the prize and again scramble to where the ghosts ain’t. 

There’s 2 power pellets left. I go to the safest one and eat the power pellet and all the dots I can while heading to the fourth power pellet. 

I eat the last power pellet and clear as many dots as I can near it. If there’s ghosts near me, I’ll eat them ... but at this point, I’m looking to clear the rest of the dots on the board rather than eating ghosts. 

There’s fake-outs along the way that I do to hopefully get the ghosts off my tail. It only works sometimes. 

I got up to 144,000 with this pattern/strategy... in 3 days of play in my life... so I think it’s worthy.

Hopefully this helps! If you don’t like this pattern... it may just be personal choice!! 

Good Luck !! :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some say the ghosts behaviour changes others say they use patterns.  I know the programmer said he first programmed the ghosts with some random movement but Atari insisted that the ghosts have predictable patterns, so he changed it.  That's because if the ghosts had some random movement it would be ms pacman.

• Like 2

Throwing my regular Pac-Man strategies of grouping and eating ghosts right out the window and focusing on finishing levels is getting me much higher scores than when I started with this one. I hear what's being said about the ghosts coming back so dang fast. Sometimes I don't bother eating some if it means giving me a better way to escape. Made it to the 2nd pineapple stage...which is a fruit I haven't seen before in different versions.

1263769813_Pac-Man(Atarisoft)2020-08-1312_31_00.thumb.png.174375ddbc31134b541576be6bcef37f.png

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Intelligentleman said:

Yeah, you really need to consider where you have to go next BEFORE eating the ghosts because they come back with a vengeance. Sometimes a better use of the power pellet for me is to focus not on chasing down ghosts, but safely clearing dots from the death trap areas.

Exactly.  The ghosts come back too fast.  Just focus on clearing screens and eating the items.  That's it.  The farther you get, the more your score will jump anyway because you'll be eating 10,000 point keys TWICE per level.

Edited by IntyFanMatt
  • Like 1