IGNORED

PICS of Activision promotional items

JayAre

I'm posting pictures of these Activision promo items, because I had never seen them before, and I don't see any online pics of them either.  Enjoy!

STAMPEDE leather coasters

p1.thumb.JPG.75bc1b6536965b2e51cf6f3a5c638546.JPG

GRAND PRIX racing jacket (front)

p2.thumb.JPG.17c36be6629975ed38117bab62e05606.JPG

GRAND PRIX racing jacket (back)

p3.thumb.JPG.ad2b17d9deb8415c5901fa222a0130e6.JPG

Activision pens

p4.thumb.JPG.48b4a89813fd9d076f04c98a99245145.JPG

Activision coffee mugs

p5.thumb.JPG.1d3755dc9c46265c401242934c2f0e52.JPG

Activision bumper stickers

p6.thumb.JPG.fffa75ad522c2195d1b3558e09c2e8fb.JPG

TENNIS jacket (front)

p7.thumb.JPG.4cddc361fc8a3bf03fed483705d70652.JPG

TENNIS jacket (back)

p8.thumb.JPG.087288bb6e98370557f6c6457939918b.JPG

PLAQUE ATTACK pencil eraser

p9.thumb.JPG.3ea7e28dfe6a2742a52badc07ea8553c.JPG

Activision paper weight, with Barnstorming and Grand Prix images.  These were given to employees; employee name is engraved on top (which I've covered).  The top of the paper weight also has the Activision logo, but it's difficult to see, because of the reflection

p10.thumb.JPG.b925b9b17e58f4fa68d150d691ff5f35.JPG

p11.thumb.JPG.abab0a06c37fbe020f9a3a86d38104a1.JPG

TENNIS towel

p12.thumb.JPG.f78030ade1d1d8aaa3d08248e234d99a.JPG

DECATHLON jogging suit (front of jacket)

p13.thumb.JPG.b72021099dc0d8e4f8810eb14f44c647.JPG

DECATHLON jogging suit (back of jacket)

p14.thumb.JPG.bd176278c04cb73f237ea0de1b07285b.JPG

DECATHLON jogging suit (pants)

p15.thumb.JPG.7abea87bcd7618b1050957b242e58921.JPG

OINK! promo pen

p16.thumb.JPG.33771a9773d389736280391217ccfb4c.JPG

• Like 29
  • Thanks 7

I wonder if the paperweight was given as an award of some sort. 

I have drawers full of pens, coffee mugs, note pads, etc. relating with my employer's branding, but anything personalized is more "special".

For example, I received a small desk clock, engraved with my name, Department, etc. as a long-service award. I do not have one, but  corporate-logo jackets are given for long-service and employees otherwise deemed worthy of special recognition. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jhd said:

I wonder if the paperweight was given as an award of some sort. 

I have drawers full of pens, coffee mugs, note pads, etc. relating with my employer's branding, but anything personalized is more "special".

For example, I received a small desk clock, engraved with my name, Department, etc. as a long-service award. I do not have one, but  corporate-logo jackets are given for long-service and employees otherwise deemed worthy of special recognition. 

Good question, JHD.  Well, I just contacted the former employee (from whom I got all these items), and she told me that every employee received one of these engraved paper weights.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rom Collector said:

OMG! What a treasure trove! This is better than my Early Isuzu promotional collection.

I hope these Activision pieces eventually make it into a museum, and not up on eBay.

I totally agree with you, Rom Collector.  Especially for items like these, which are fairly scarce, it would be ideal for them to end up in a museum one day, for everyone to enjoy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cvga said:

Super cool. I love the posters, clothing and other memorabilia as much as the actual games. Really appreciate you sharing all of these great items, pictures and stories JayAre!

It's been my pleasure, CVGA.  I'm glad that you've enjoyed everything.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JayAre said:

It's been my pleasure, CVGA.  I'm glad that you've enjoyed everything.

Really cool for you to share pics of these. When I saw the leather coasters, I thought it was something recently made. But looking at the rest of the item, they scream early 80's. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Machine said:

Really cool for you to share pics of these. When I saw the leather coasters, I thought it was something recently made. But looking at the rest of the item, they scream early 80's. 

I can see how you would think that about the coasters; they're in absolutely pristine condition.  The Activision employee kept everything in immaculate shape.  But yeah, everything is from 1981-1983.  She was explaining to me how, when Activision would release a game, the company would give every employee a copy of the game, along with whatever promotional item(s) was associated with it.  The employees would usually show up to work in the morning and would find these cool gifts on their desks.  From everything she's told me, it really was an awesome place at which to work.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

I have a few Activision items, not pictured.  Maybe we should make this the official Activision promo thread.

That's a great idea, Wiz.  There are so many promo items scattered throughout different threads.  It'd be nice to have everything in one location.

On 8/10/2020 at 2:14 PM, JayAre said:

PLAQUE ATTACK pencil eraser

p9.thumb.JPG.3ea7e28dfe6a2742a52badc07ea8553c.JPG

This thread is absolutely amazing! That Oink! pen is just phenomenal. And as a sucker for old mugs/glassware, I can tell you that if I ever come across either of those Activision mugs at a thrift somewhere, well, you just might hear me flipping out from wherever you are.

I'm curious about this Plaque Attack eraser; is there any sort of branding/name on it anywhere? I'm guessing not, considering how wonderfully thorough all of your pics are. Reason I ask is because, man, it looks really, really familiar. A few months back, I brought home a big bag of early-80s erasers from Goodwill; some real good stuff in there, but aside from a tiny, fake Game & Watch, nothing video game related - that I could tell. There were a lot of erasers that I would and did consider 'generic' though, and without any further knowledge, this tooth would have absolutely been in that grouping. I'll dig the entire bag out later tonight and go searchin'. (I doubt it's in there, probably just my mind playing tricks on me, but still...)

Edited by King Atari
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, King Atari said:

This thread is absolutely amazing! That Oink! pen is just phenomenal. And as a sucker for old mugs/glassware, I can tell you that if I ever come across either of those Activision mugs at a thrift somewhere, well, you just might hear me flipping out from wherever you are.

I'm curious about this Plaque Attack eraser; is there any sort of branding/name on it anywhere? I'm guessing not, considering how wonderfully thorough all of your pics are. Reason I ask is because, man, it looks really, really familiar. A few months back, I brought home a big bag of early-80s erasers from Goodwill; some real good stuff in there, but aside from a tiny, fake Game & Watch, nothing video game related - that I could tell. There were a lot of erasers that I would and did consider 'generic' though, and without any further knowledge, this tooth would have absolutely been in that grouping. I'll dig the entire bag out later tonight and go searchin'. (I doubt it's in there, probably just my mind playing tricks on me, but still...)

King, I was thinking the exact same thing when I first saw the eraser.  Out of curiosity, I asked and was told that it was, indeed, given out in conjunction with Plaque Attack.  I'm thinking one of two things.  Either the item was so small that it didn't really make sense to put the name of the game on it.  Or maybe Activision just went out and bought these erasers "off the shelf" and made them their own to promote the game.

I took a good look at the eraser and noticed something that I hadn't seen before.  There's some writing engraved on the back.  So I took the most close-up picture I could, and I'm attaching it here.  There are three lines of text.  I think the second line says 1982.  And the bottom line appears to start off with a copyright symbol.  But I can't make out what the rest says.

Now, according to Random Terrain, Plaque Attack was released in May of 1983.  You would think that any promo items made for the game would have a 1983 copyright year.  But if the eraser was made in 1982, then maybe it was just a generic purchase by Activision and wasn't specifically manufactured for the game.

King, if you could check the erasers you have, that would be great.  Thanks.

DSC00165.thumb.JPG.429146076561aec906caf0a661bbc7d5.JPG

Edited by JayAre

3 hours ago, JayAre said:

I took a good look at the eraser and noticed something that I hadn't seen before.  There's some writing engraved on the back.  So I took the most close-up picture I could, and I'm attaching it here.  There are three lines of text.  I think the second line says 1982.  And the bottom line appears to start off with a copyright symbol.  But I can't make out what the rest says.

After blowing up the picture and using some trial and error from search engines, I'm pretty sure the top line says DIENER. They made a bunch of pencil top erasers from around that time period. I haven't found the tooth yet though.

EDIT: I'm sure that's correct. They make lots of dentist prizes including teeth. I don't think this was made specifically for Plaque Attack :(

Edited by cvga
updated info
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, cvga said:

After blowing up the picture and using some trial and error from search engines, I'm pretty sure the top line says DIENER. They made a bunch of pencil top erasers from around that time period. I haven't found the tooth yet though.

EDIT: I'm sure that's correct. They make lots of dentist prizes including teeth. I don't think this was made specifically for Plaque Attack :(

Great job, CVGA.  Thanks for taking the time to look into this.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

I have a few Activision items, not pictured.  Maybe we should make this the official Activision promo thread.

I recently traded an Activision Employee some of my reproduction patches for a new activision tshirt and a new activision patch. Here is the patch below, never seen another...

btw:  Oh, anyone interested in the a set of the Stampede coasters? I am checking into having a set made up for myself and so if someone else wants a set, let me know...

explor.jpg

Edited by Machine
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, JayAre said:

King, I was thinking the exact same thing when I first saw the eraser.  Out of curiosity, I asked and was told that it was, indeed, given out in conjunction with Plaque Attack.  I'm thinking one of two things.  Either the item was so small that it didn't really make sense to put the name of the game on it.  Or maybe Activision just went out and bought these erasers "off the shelf" and made them their own to promote the game.

Now, according to Random Terrain, Plaque Attack was released in May of 1983.  You would think that any promo items made for the game would have a 1983 copyright year.  But if the eraser was made in 1982, then maybe it was just a generic purchase by Activision and wasn't specifically manufactured for the game.

King, if you could check the erasers you have, that would be great.  Thanks.

18 hours ago, cvga said:

I dug through the big bag of erasers last night, but didn't see this one. It still looks pretty familiar though; I wonder if, during our recent lock-down, I came across it while digging through old bags of childhood stuff. (Hey, I didn't have anything else to do!) If that was the case, 1) re-finding it would almost certainly be near-impossible, because BOY did I sift through a ton of papers/toys/knick-knacks/etc. etc. etc., most which is now put away, and 2) it would almost certainly be a "wide release" generic pencil topper, because as much as I'd like to think otherwise, there's almost no way I would have had an Activision promo item like that in my youth. (Unless it was gifted to me, but still, it being a prize from the dentist's office or something is infinitely more likely.)

Or maybe my mind is just playing games with itself, I dunno.

Edited by King Atari
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, King Atari said:

I dug through the big bag of erasers last night, but didn't see this one. It still looks pretty familiar though; I wonder if, during our recent lock-down, I came across it while digging through old bags of childhood stuff. (Hey, I didn't have anything else to do!) If that was the case, 1) re-finding it would almost certainly be near-impossible, because BOY did I sift through a ton of papers/toys/knick-knacks/etc. etc. etc., most which is now put away, and 2) it would almost certainly be a "wide release" generic pencil topper, because as much as I'd like to think otherwise, there's almost no way I would have had an Activision promo item like that in my youth. (Unless it was gifted to me, but still, it being a prize from the dentist's office or something is infinitely more likely.)

Or maybe my mind is just playing games with itself, I dunno.

Thanks for the update, King.

Something else came to mind.  When Plaque Attack was released (in May of 1983), things were probably already starting to go south, because of the crash.  And maybe Activision didn't want to produce a promo item from scratch, which would have cost them more money.  Buying this eraser "off the shelf" was a less expensive option.  Just a thought.

Edited by JayAre