IGNORED

PICS of Activision promotional items

JayAre

On 8/17/2020 at 8:57 AM, JayAre said:

Well, I'm pretty much done posting Activision promo items from my collection.  If I ever acquire any more, I'll be sure to update the thread.

I took one last look online and found these two items.

Thanks once again to everyone who has contributed/commented to this thread; it's been wonderful seeing all these incredible items.

Kaboom mobile

image.jpeg.4569874a828cee647ad0087cd5ff732a.jpeg

I can't stop going back to look at (and drool over) this Kaboom! mobile. Funny thing is that I didn't really enjoy Kaboom as a kid but all of my kids and I love it now. It was my daughter's favorite game when she was little.

• Like 1

I thought this thread was over but I found a couple of things that I thought people might like to see. Here's my collection of Activisions newsletters...

I'm not sure if this is considered Volume #1 or if I'm missing #1

IMG_4469.thumb.JPG.7701f0287a1fe250bff86bdff3aa343e.JPG

Volume #2

IMG_4464.thumb.JPG.22519db202ba7aa4ef117652caf21681.JPG

Volume #3

IMG_4459.thumb.JPG.b9e3acb01c2fe17cced23a259f9847e4.JPG

Volume #4

IMG_4460.thumb.JPG.e0c3f77fbd67bac19607655a792e724b.JPG

Volume #5

IMG_4461.thumb.JPG.997bc7a1b8049348bf8bcb987cefabf7.JPG

Volume #6

IMG_4462.thumb.JPG.b1ed473a1cd70b0acc53dc9ec1eb6a82.JPG

Volume #7

IMG_4484.thumb.JPG.496329bc461c04cc84bc31d67d8e272a.JPG

Anyone know if there's a volume 8 or beyond?

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, cvga said:

Look at what's happened to me
I can't believe it myself
Suddenly I'm on top of the world
Shoulda been somebody else
Believe it or not I'm walking on air
I never thought I could feel so free
Flying away on a wing and a prayer
Who could it be?
Believe it or not it's just me
Just like the light of a new day
It hit me from out of the blue
Breaking me out of the spell I was in
Making all of my wishes come true
Believe it or not I'm walking on air
I never thought I could feel so free
Flying away on a wing and a prayer
Who could it be?
Who could it be?
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cvga said:

That's not off topic. Looks like a cool Stampede belt buckle. All the cool kids had them!

Thanks, CVGA.

You got it; it's the Stampede belt buckle.  I've seen that picture of Dan Kitchen so many times, and I never realized it was that buckle until now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cvga said:

I thought this thread was over but I found a couple of things that I thought people might like to see. Here's my collection of Activisions newsletters...

Thanks for posting the Activisions newsletters.  Well, the first one you posted was a Special Edition, which is actually one of the rarer Activisions newsletters.  Below is a scan of the cover page for Volume 1.  And to answer your other question, Volume 7 was the final issue.  And there were also two "UPDATE" issues, for which I'm attaching the cover pages; these two are pretty rare as well.

Click for Next Page.

activisions_update_hero.jpg

activisions_update_pitfall_2.jpg

Edited by JayAre
  • Like 3

Seeing the Special Edition of Activisions above (with the Greatest American Hero contest) reminded me of another promo item.  As detailed in that issue, Activision ran a contest called the Starmaster Challenge.  Aside from the grand prize, Greatest American Hero t-shirts were also awarded.  Here's Mr. Activision wearing one.

interview_todd_rogers_4.png

Edited by JayAre
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, JayAre said:

Seeing the Special Edition of Activisions above (with the Greatest American Hero contest) reminded me of another promo item.  As detailed in that issue, Activision ran a contest called the Starmaster Challenge.  Aside from the grand prize, Greatest American Hero t-shirts were also awarded.  Here's Mr. Rogers wearing one.

interview_todd_rogers_4.png

Just out of curiosity, how did Barbi Benton fit in the story? She knew Todd? She was a video game player groupie? She was there courtesy of Activision? It doesn't seem like a likely pairing (although I'm not complaining).

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, cvga said:

Just out of curiosity, how did Barbi Benton fit in the story? She knew Todd? She was a video game player groupie? She was there courtesy of Activision? It doesn't seem like a likely pairing (although I'm not complaining).

I've seen the picture before but never knew the story behind it.  I just did an online search with both their names together, and there's a reference to a picture of the two of them (which I'm assuming is the picture I posted above), and it says it's from the 1983 Chicago CES.

I also found an interview with Todd Rogers, and he provided the comment below.  He says there that he had an affiliation with Benton, but I have no idea what that means.

"I had declined endorsing a joystick from Playboy/Playgirl Enterprise.  Since I had an affiliation with Barbie Benton, the people at Playboy had this strange idea.  The joystick was in the shape of a penis, pink and everything.  I sort of chuckled and said "No thanks", even though the money was tempting.  I can see me now playing Decathlon with that so-called stick... NOT."

Edited by JayAre
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, cvga said:

Volume #2

IMG_4464.thumb.JPG.22519db202ba7aa4ef117652caf21681.JPG

Volume #3

IMG_4459.thumb.JPG.b9e3acb01c2fe17cced23a259f9847e4.JPG

Volume #4

IMG_4460.thumb.JPG.e0c3f77fbd67bac19607655a792e724b.JPG

Volume #5

IMG_4461.thumb.JPG.997bc7a1b8049348bf8bcb987cefabf7.JPG

Volume #6

IMG_4462.thumb.JPG.b1ed473a1cd70b0acc53dc9ec1eb6a82.JPG

Volume #7

IMG_4484.thumb.JPG.496329bc461c04cc84bc31d67d8e272a.JPG

Thanks for sharing this, CVGA.

Here are the all known to exist numbers (and the two updates):
http://www.atarimania.com/atari-magazine-activisions_28.html

Is it possible to scan your first Special Edition one?

It's sadly still missing in our database.

8)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JayAre said:

Thanks for posting the Activisions newsletters.  Well, the first one you posted was a Special Edition, which is actually one of the rarer Activisions newsletters.  Below is a scan of the cover page for Volume 1.  And to answer your other question, Volume 7 was the final issue.  And there were also two "UPDATE" issues, for which I'm attaching the cover pages; these two are pretty rare as well.

Click for Next Page.

activisions_update_hero.jpg

activisions_update_pitfall_2.jpg

Most of these are really tough to find.  I think I have 2-3 of them but none of the earliest ones.  I do have the 2 updates though.   

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ErkTheJerk said:

Hello, thought I contribute.. I enjoy looking at the promos. I don’t think this has been up yet.

472D2F34-C5F8-401B-B991-8EF17AE4579E.jpeg

Just when you think you've seen it all...

Wow, Erk, thanks so much for sharing this.  The biplane is fantastic!

Erk, do you know if this came as a cutout on a sheet for you to put together?  I'm assuming it was, but maybe you know for sure.  Thanks.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JayAre said:

Just when you think you've seen it all...

Wow, Erk, thanks so much for sharing this.  The biplane is fantastic!

Erk, do you know if this came as a cutout on a sheet for you to put together?  I'm assuming it was, but maybe you know for sure.  Thanks.

Hmm I don’t know.. when I got it it was already like that. But it does look like you can take it apart so yes I’m assuming it’s from the cutout like the ones that was on here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, ErkTheJerk said:

Hmm I don’t know.. when I got it it was already like that. But it does look like you can take it apart so yes I’m assuming it’s from the cutout like the ones that was on here.

Thanks, Erk.  Yeah, it makes sense for Activision to have sent a cutout sheet to retailers for them to assemble it; more practical that way.

And thank you once again for the pictures.  It's such a wonderful item, and very rare too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/13/2020 at 8:18 PM, cvga said:

I found a couple of punchouts that I thought people might be interested in. I was afraid to take them out of the folder. Sadly one of the helicopter blades is missing :(

IMG_4436.thumb.JPG.72ab4e01231f5acfb7f6b4cd06cecd60.JPG

Does anyone have a picture of this Chopper Command cutout, after it's been assembled?  Just curious to see what it looks like in all its glory.

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of Paper Models, mostly Space ones. I saw this and the Pitfall ones and got excited. I started re-drawing the Pitfall one in a CAD program with plans to try to Laser cut it on my new Machine. I thought I would modify it slightly and put a spot for a cartridge on it for sort of a display. I'll share the files when I get it done if it comes out descent.

I would like to try the Chopper and maybe the Barnstormer airplane seen above if I get around to them. I also have a few other favorite games I would like the display for. We'll see....

Scott

Edited by mgas
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, mgas said:

I'm a big fan of Paper Models, mostly Space ones. I saw this and the Pitfall ones and got excited. I started re-drawing the Pitfall one in a CAD program with plans to try to Laser cut it on my new Machine. I thought I would modify it slightly and put a spot for a cartridge on it for sort of a display. I'll share the files when I get it done if it comes out descent.

I would like to try the Chopper and maybe the Barnstormer airplane seen above if I get around to them. I also have a few other favorite games I would like the display for. We'll see....

Scott

Scott, good luck with the paper model that you're making.  And yeah, please let us know how it turns out.  If you haven't seen what the Pitfall one looks like when it's assembled, here's a picture, in case it helps.

image.jpeg.535b98344031c2899f93a3d7805f3819.jpeg

Edited by JayAre
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, mgas said:

Scott

chopper_command_mobile.jpg

8)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1