IGNORED

Way to transfer files from a PC to Commodore Computers?

bluejay

Oh, ok. I mean, I have some sources to get 486-pentium ish leptops for much less than $60 but well I can't go there to get one because of the pandemic. If it works like the SD2IEC i'd consider it a viable way if I happen end up with a laptop with a parallel port. But seems like the pi1541 zero is the best solution to everything. RAM expansion cards are pretty expensive, and would easily cost over what a pi1541+pizero would cost. Especially since the only free slot I have is an 8 bit isa slot and most affordable ram cards are 16 bit.

On 8/14/2020 at 5:48 PM, OLD CS1 said:

My distaste for Jeff Bezos goes back to the "One-Click" patent.  I believe it was an abuse of the patent system and should have been rejected.  Thus, I have and will never knowingly support Bezos or Amazon.  Everyone has their hang-ups; this is one of mine.

I also refuse to deal with Amazon. They ripped me off a few years back, and still refuse to acknowledge any problem. Unfortunately I used a gift card rather than Paypal or my credit card, so I have apparently  just been taken, period. Hope that paltry $25.00 was worth it.

To the "problem" at hand - If the ZOOM Floppy doesn't sound good to the OP, I also use a Pi 1541 with the originally suggested Raspberry Pi 3B. They work great, and aren't that expensive. So, with all of the other options, there are lots of choices here.

I'm probably gonna go to the 64hdd route as I could probably get a good pentium era laptop for more or less the same price of the SD2IEC, and a laptop can do much more than a SD2IEC. But a pi1541 isn't completely out of the question.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to all,

I am newbies my very first own Zoom Floppy Hardware. Here the problem, my Zoom Floppy does not communication to my real 1571 disk drive. I did try to click "Directory" or click on "Status" via on CBM Transfer (Yes on X-Cable feature). Nothing happening on my 1571 , no green blinking. It does power up on red LED. My Zoom Floppy show neon blue LED ON all the time (Is that normal for my Zoom Floppy ?).

Help me out. Yes, I am trying to take a "test" on 1 of real Commodore diskette.

6 hours ago, Caterpiggle said:

Hello to all,

I am newbies my very first own Zoom Floppy Hardware. Here the problem, my Zoom Floppy does not communication to my real 1571 disk drive. I did try to click "Directory" or click on "Status" via on CBM Transfer (Yes on X-Cable feature). Nothing happening on my 1571 , no green blinking. It does power up on red LED. My Zoom Floppy show neon blue LED ON all the time (Is that normal for my Zoom Floppy ?).

Help me out. Yes, I am trying to take a "test" on 1 of real Commodore diskette.

Has the transfer software detected the drive at all? You'll have to go through all sorts of nasty stuff to get this working.

10 hours ago, Caterpiggle said:

I don't think so , it has not been detected anything even thur it is always on 1571.

1) Connect the XU1541 to your USB.  Run the zadig program.  If it doesn't list any devices, click the Options menu and list all devices. Select the xu1541 from the drop-down and select libusb-win32, then click Install driver.

2) opencbm 0.4.99.99: from administrative command prompt, run "install xu1541"

3) CBMXfer 100 installer, change the installation directory to 'C:\Program Files\OpenCBM\'

(This installs and registers the VB6 modules for the GUI)

You have to manually add C:\Program Files\opencbm to the system PATH.

These are the direct instructions OLDCS1 gave me. So yeah, what you want to do is go download opencbm 0.4.99.99 and run the installer. It should automatically run Zadig during installation. Choose libusb-win32 out of the dropdown list and install it. Keep note that since you're using Zoomfloppy and I used xu1541 you may have to change and experiment with bits and pieces. After all that open cmd as administrator. Go to whatever directory obencbm installed itself in, and type "install {something}". I had to type "install xu1541" but again, you're using zoomfloppy, I haven't a clue what you will have to type in. It should give you the CBMXfer installer. In the installation menu thing, change the installation directory to C:\Program Files\OpenCBM. Then add C:\Program Files\OpenCBM to the system path. Yeah, it's pretty nasty stuff and it turned out to be quite unreliable, but it works.

On 9/9/2020 at 9:01 AM, bluejay said:

1) Connect the XU1541 to your USB.  Run the zadig program.  If it doesn't list any devices, click the Options menu and list all devices. Select the xu1541 from the drop-down and select libusb-win32, then click Install driver.

3) CBMXfer 100 installer, change the installation directory to 'C:\Program Files\OpenCBM\'

(This installs and registers the VB6 modules for the GUI)

You have to manually add C:\Program Files\opencbm to the system PATH.

These are the direct instructions OLDCS1 gave me. So yeah, what you want to do is go download opencbm 0.4.99.99 and run the installer. It should automatically run Zadig during installation. Choose libusb-win32 out of the dropdown list and install it. Keep note that since you're using Zoomfloppy and I used xu1541 you may have to change and experiment with bits and pieces. After all that open cmd as administrator. Go to whatever directory obencbm installed itself in, and type "install {something}". I had to type "install xu1541" but again, you're using zoomfloppy, I haven't a clue what you will have to type in. It should give you the CBMXfer installer. In the installation menu thing, change the installation directory to C:\Program Files\OpenCBM. Then add C:\Program Files\OpenCBM to the system path. Yeah, it's pretty nasty stuff and it turned out to be quite unreliable, but it works.

At first , I am bit confused about detected the hardware , ZoomFloppy. My out of date CBMXfer  1.10 (I think ). I can't find the exactly version under application folder. CBMXfer does not detected to my ZoomFloppy BUT my Window 10 does show ZoomFloppy Hardware with firmware there.

I don't understand , 0.4.99.99 is the last updated on 2017-09-05 ? Same as mine ?? That is 3 years old CBMXfer application ? Okay, I will installed "CBMXfer 100 installer". What is exactly VB6 modules do ?

Edited by Caterpiggle

1 hour ago, Caterpiggle said:

At first , I am bit confused about detected the hardware , ZoomFloppy. My out of date CBMXfer  1.10 (I think ). I can't find the exactly version under application folder. CBMXfer does not detected to my ZoomFloppy BUT my Window 10 does show ZoomFloppy Hardware with firmware there.

I don't understand , 0.4.99.99 is the last updated on 2017-09-05 ? Same as mine ?? That is 3 years old CBMXfer application ? Okay, I will installed "CBMXfer 100 installer". What is exactly VB6 modules do ?

Could you, uh, you know, type in proper English so I can understand better? Also, what I did worked with me using an xu1541, I didn't do anything I didn't mention in my directions. Unless Zoomfloppy is terribly different from xu1541 what I said should work, more or less.

11 hours ago, Caterpiggle said:

I try to installed "Install.cmd" but MS-DOS Shell said, access is denied (repent many time). I did created "opencbm" under program folder. Still not work ...at this time.

On 9/9/2020 at 9:01 AM, bluejay said:

You have to open the command prompt as an administrator. Type cmd on the search bar and ctrl+shift+enter.