IGNORED

USB/IDE or SATA Drive Expansion Device

Crc_Error

historically MyIDE would do IDE drives.  Don't know that is available anymore.

Popular these days are upgrades like sio2sd, Ultimate Cart, Uno Cart, MaxFlash cart, side2 (and soon to be side3) (usually coupled with the Ultimate 1MB upgrade), Sdrive Max, and more.  These solutions have different capabilities that allow you to load software in different formats (atr (disk image), atx (disk image with protection intact), xex (executable file), bin/car (cartridge dumps), bas (basic programs), etc).

There are a lot of different modern upgrades for the old Ataris now.  Which one is best depends on what features you want and what formats you want.

The easiest to use (IMO) is the IDE+2 from AA member Simius.  It uses a CF card as its media.  You can also get a MyIde II at Atarimax.com.  It also uses a CF card (or some SD cards with an adapter). It is quite a "Swiss army knife" in cartridge format. As previously stated -- lots of choices.  If you do want an IDE+2, you should contact Simius.  He has stated that he will no longer produce them when the current batch is gone.  He has not mentioned any replacement, that I recall. 

Thank you for all the info.  I just have an 800XL with UAV mod and a 1050 which I don't have an SIO cable or power supply.  Got rid of my Atari stuff I had years ago just trying to get back into it.  All I have is a joystick and MS PACMAN cartridge and a few other games on cartridge.  Such a huge collection of aftermarket devices to get which is over whelming me.  What I want is something that will allow me to save and load all the different types of Atari files. Sdrive Max is appealing but there seem to be many versions of it and I am confused even after reading all about it. Ultimate, Uno and Side 3 sound great too.  It's a great dilemma to be in. Also the Ultimate 1MB is great too but only reason I can't buy is the dollar exchange and living in Canada the price is high.... Again I will stick to this website and do lots of research on my next step.  I installed the UAV which is an amazing upgrade for cheap.  Long live the A8!

11 hours ago, Larry said:

The easiest to use (IMO) is the IDE+2 from AA member Simius.  It uses a CF card as its media.  You can also get a MyIde II at Atarimax.com.  It also uses a CF card (or some SD cards with an adapter). It is quite a "Swiss army knife" in cartridge format. As previously stated -- lots of choices.  If you do want an IDE+2, you should contact Simius.  He has stated that he will no longer produce them when the current batch is gone.  He has not mentioned any replacement, that I recall. 

Except for the final version the IDE+2.0 has a 44-pin connector for a 2.5" IDE HDD, compact flash card adapters can be connected instead. The main PCB actually has a 40-pin IDE interface, with a small sub-board converting this to the 44-pin connector. AFAIK the IDE+2.0 devices are no longer being made.