IGNORED

Trying to copy images to disk

Atari800Xl

I have a Atari 800xl,  Atari Max, and 2 1050 drives.  I've been loading Atari Dos 2.5 on the Atari Max, the 1050 is set to D2. Then I choose the option to duplicate a disk. When it prompts me I mount a game image on the Atari max and put a blank disk in the 1050. I have Pitfall on Atr, XEX, and bin. Dos gave me an error message when I tried to copy the ATR version so I used the XEX wich dos copied right to the disk. When I start the computer with just the 1050 hooked up as drive #1 it reads the disk and then just says ready. How do I boot it? Or can I only transfer ATR files to disk? If so is there a better disk copier? Im guessing its a copyright issue?

9 hours ago, Atari800Xl said:

I have a Atari 800xl,  Atari Max, and 2 1050 drives.  I've been loading Atari Dos 2.5 on the Atari Max, the 1050 is set to D2. Then I choose the option to duplicate a disk. When it prompts me I mount a game image on the Atari max and put a blank disk in the 1050. I have Pitfall on Atr, XEX, and bin. Dos gave me an error message when I tried to copy the ATR version so I used the XEX wich dos copied right to the disk. When I start the computer with just the 1050 hooked up as drive #1 it reads the disk and then just says ready. How do I boot it? Or can I only transfer ATR files to disk? If so is there a better disk copier? Im guessing its a copyright issue?

First of all, I just want to confirm what device you're using. There is no such device as an AtariMax. AtariMax is the company and they make a lot of different devices. From the description of your problem, I'm assuming that it's an SIO2PC device. First of all, assuming you're booting off of your SIO2PC as Disk #1, you'll need to make certain that your real drive is setup as #2. The best way would probably be to load your favorite sector copier in D1 on the SIO2PC, then, when prompted, swap your desired atr into D1 and put your blank disk in D2 and start the copy. I always used Disk Wizard II but you can use whatever copier you like. Assuming the image isn't copy protected, which it shouldn't be if it's an atr, you should be able to just copy it using DOS.

As far as the xex goes, copying that to a disk won't make it bootable. An xex is just an executable file. Copying it on a real disk just means you have a disk with an executable file on it. You'd still need to boot into DOS and start the binary manually to start the program.

xrbrevin mentioned that atr images are bootable disk images. That's not necessarily true, but it could be. atrs are disk images, period. They may or may not be bootable, just like all diskettes are not necessarily bootable. It depends on what you have stored on them, whether or not you have DOS on them, etc.

10 hours ago, Atari800Xl said:

If you get the READY prompt is because you got to BASIC. You need to power up pressing Option key to disable BASIC. If you do that you will get to the DOS menu. there you can load any XEX (Atari executable (but not bootable))  with the option L. 

Another option, it to copy a whole disk image (ATR) as you describe: mount game ATR in the atarimaxp program and put a blank disk in the real disk drive and select Duplicate Disk. That should work, maybe you can try with another ATR (once you got it right we can help you to figure out why pitfall atr is not working).

Make sure that all your drive numbers are unique (1050 has dip switches at the back of the drive). If you have any that are set the same as another, your operations will fail. 

What error code did Dos 2.5 show?  That can help tell you/us what is wrong. Is your disk write-protected (or the back side which has no notch on an unmodified disk)?

Makes sure that you are using a "Duplicate Disk" (J) and not a "Copy File" (C) when trying to copy an ATR image.  Copying a file is for the XEX.

1 hour ago, Atari800Xl said:

I apologize its an Sdrive-Max its not an SIO2PC its a standalone with an SD card. It emulates another disk drive. So basically im trying to do a drive to drive copy.

OK, so not even an AtariMax product.

But still, what I and the others here have said still holds true. I don't have any personal experience with the SDrive-Max, but you still need to make certain your SDrive-Max and your real disk drives are setup with different device numbers. Also, xex files aren't bootable, even if you have them on a real disk or an atr image. Not all atr images are bootable. Some may just be data disks. While it is possible and relatively easy to copy disk to disk with different versions of DOS, you really are better off using a good sector copier.

drive to drive copies with dos will only work on dos format diskettes.  Most game disks are in 'boot' format. 

Also, the Sdrive Max can do .atx which will have protection schemes intact.... so if you have any .atx files you won't be able to copy them to a stock Atari disk drive.  I'm not sure how you would copy them to a happy or archiver/chip drive, I'm guessing you'd have to use aspeqt/respeqt ?  (I've never done that as I use my Supercard Pro to write .atx files to diskettes using a PC).

As long as your source is .atr if you use a sector copier program, it should copy from the Sdrive Max to the Atari drive fine (as long as the .atr is of a single density disk).