IGNORED

Examples of Early DLC

What are some examples of early DLC (I'm not talking about expansion packs, I'm talking about real downloadable content)?

I know that Sonic adventure had a New Year's DLC, and that was in 1999. Star Wars Battlefront 2 had Xbox exclusive DLC in 2006, but by then, DLC was starting to be common place. Those are the earliest I can think of (on consoloe at least, I'm sure there was PC DLC in the late 80's and stuff). 

Do you know of any?

Total Annihilation had some. There were also free map packs/extra maps included in patches for various games like Battlefield 1942 (although that was 2002). I think there might have been some for Unreal Tournament, as well, but that was 21 years ago and I forgot, especially since I was only 9 at the time. Yes, I played UT when I was 9. I can basically guarantee that there are others that I'm forgetting or just don't even know about.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
grammar, formatting

I'm not very knowledgeable about the Satallaview, which is why I didn't mention it despite it coming to mind, but I'm pretty sure that Sega Channel didn't have actual DLC. I suppose the various BS games on the Satellaview might count, but I'm not entirely sure since I'm out of my element with Nintendo stuff.

If we define DLC as an addition to an existing game, not a standalone game in and of itself, I'm not sure if the Sega Channel, Gameline, or BSX qualify.  Can anyone clarify?

What about the Saturn?  Didn't that have some modem content?

4 hours ago, godslabrat said:

If we define DLC as an addition to an existing game, not a standalone game in and of itself, I'm not sure if the Sega Channel, Gameline, or BSX qualify.  Can anyone clarify?

DLC is "downloadable Content" not "downloadable data". I always head it being defined as an addition to an existing game. However it asks the question wether game patches count (probably not).

Thus early game downlad services doesn't count since they made you download the whole game without addition to the original game.

Doom and all the user-created levels. They are downloadable. They are content.

I'm sure there are earlier examples, but this is one everyone knows.

5 hours ago, mbd30 said:

There was the "Alien Doom" mod in the mid 90s but that was user created.

Doesn't really matter where the material was sourced.

Edited by Keatah

Populous (1989?)- Promised Lands needed the original games.

Flight Simulator II (1984?) had scenery disks you could buy separately

The Sims (2000) had a bunch expansion packs

The way "Alternate Reality" was originally described, it sounded like there was going to be three add-on content packs

But AR The Dungeon was eventually released as a standalone game, and the other two never came out.

8 hours ago, godslabrat said:

13 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I'm not very knowledgeable about the Satallaview, which is why I didn't mention it despite it coming to mind, but I'm pretty sure that Sega Channel didn't have actual DLC. I suppose the various BS games on the Satellaview might count, but I'm not entirely sure since I'm out of my element with Nintendo stuff.

Satelleview was basically cable TV but playable, so there was no downloading (you could save a game on the card that came with it, but I think it only held one game) whatsoever.

To be fair, before DLC there were expansion packs and shareware titles as examples of (often paid) extra content. It was much more inconvenient than modern DLC, which is usually tied to a marketplace (Steam, PSN, Xbox live, etc.)

User-created levels predated Doom, there was (is) user content for ZZT / Zeux for example. They were distributed via BBS or floppies and needed user intervention to install (as opposed to the 1-click downloads of most DLC).

MMORPGs are also mostly DLC content (that you pay monthly). Ultima Online from 1997 popularized the genre, but there were earlier examples.

Edited by Newsdee

2 hours ago, Magmavision2000 said:

Satelleview was basically cable TV but playable, so there was no downloading (you could save a game on the card that came with it, but I think it only held one game) whatsoever.

So that's how it works. It definitely does not count in that case!

Speaking of what counts and what doesn't, what exactly do you want to count as DLC? User-created maps, as pointed out above, are content that is downloaded. I'm pretty sure you meant stuff that was created by the original game's developer (and nobody else) and then offered separately, free or not, as a downloadable thingy, and definitely not on a physical disc that you could buy a copy of like an expansion pack or whatever. Just a guess, though.

2 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Speaking of what counts and what doesn't, what exactly do you want to count as DLC? User-created maps, as pointed out above, are content that is downloaded. I'm pretty sure you meant stuff that was created by the original game's developer (and nobody else) and then offered separately, free or not, as a downloadable thingy, and definitely not on a physical disc that you could buy a copy of like an expansion pack or whatever. Just a guess, though.

Yep, stuff officially made and then sold (or gave out if it was free) for download.

23 minutes ago, Magmavision2000 said:

Yep, stuff officially made and then sold (or gave out if it was free) for download.

I thought so. I personally only know about Total Annihilation as a true early example of DLC, unfortunately. It's also a super kick-ass game, as well!

After some research, here's the website with the downloads. Extra units, extra maps, and also the map editor (but I don't think that counts): https://web.archive.org/web/20010330073657/http://www.cavedog.com/totala/dwnlds_frame.html

Edited by Steven Pendleton

Sonic & Knuckles added content to Sonic 3.

There are games that read barcodes and misc to add content.

CD Battle for PC Engine creates a party of characters for you based on the CD you give it to read.

I didn't get to play PSO for Dreamcast online, but PSO Ep I & II had new areas with new enemies, items and story available through DLC only until an updated version of the game was physically released.

• Like 1

The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind had official mods by the dev team available for free only through Bethesda's website. IIRC, one added butterflies and other scenery improvements. Another added a small island to the game with a high difficulty dungeon. To my knowledge these never got included in any of the expansions or the GotY edition.

• Like 1

I was going to say sonic an knuckles, though I think it ran as an independent game, it was an add-on for sonic 2 and 3.

Not sure if gameline or Sega channel count, it's definitely a download service, but as far as I'm aware, neither had unique titles.

I seem to recall several dnd games for the c64 had expansions you could buy, but I don't remember. Sure, not technically a download, as it came on discs, but still expansions using the original games.

To talk about PS2 DLC you're talking about PS2 / PSP Connectivity something that to say it rarely talked about is an understatement. There is almost nothing on this save for here on my own blog and 1 post on Reddit which gives a list of 13 games. So far after checking 7 of them I only found 4 which has this rare DLC

ATV Offroad Fury 4 PS2 / ATV Offroad Fury Pro PSP

Crash Tag Team Racing PS2 and PSP

Jax X PS2 / Daxter PSP

Outrun 2006: Coast to Coast PS2 and PSP

Not only does it unlock hidden vehicles, in some cases new tracks, characters and hidden features in both titles.

I have since learned that this extends to a very limited number of PS3 games, so far I only heard of possible connection to Gran Turismo 5 PS3 but due to my optical drive issue I am unable to check this for now.

I want to make this very clear I am talking about US releases, none are imports.

If you know of any additional titles and what it unlocks please message me.