IGNORED

Which 1040STF Do I Have and Which Mods Should I?

I just picked up an 1040STf.  Just getting back into these things so my current knowledge is nil.

Looking at my motherboard, what is the best way to go as far as memory expansion? What about the preferred TOS? I also want to pick up an external UltraSatan.  Any preferred set up on that end?  I'd like to keep the floppy drive if possible since it works perfectly.

Thanks!

8o2zmCdl.jpg

Tricky on RAM expansion since MMU is a SMT component. At least you got 1Mb RAM. Shifter (in the silver box in the middle) is usually socketed. TOS 1.4 is easily upgradeable if you have a EEPROM burner or buy the chips from someone else. TOS 2.06 can also be done with some decoder board. But that requires desoldering. UltraSatan is Plug-N-Play. You need a hardware drive for that, there is free or commercial drivers.

How good is your desoldering/soldering skills?

Edited by snarkdluG
spelling

1 hour ago, snarkdluG said:

Tricky on RAM expansion since MMU is a SMT component. At least you got 1Mb RAM. Shifter (in the silver box in the middle) is usually socketed. TOS 1.4 is easily upgradeable if you have a EEPROM burner or buy the chips from someone else. TOS 2.06 can also be done with some decoder board. But that requires desoldering. UltraSatan is Plug-N-Play. You need a hardware drive for that, there is free or commercial drivers.

How good is your desoldering/soldering skills?

I've been soldering for about 30 years but my skills probably peaked about 29 years ago. 

Could you possibly post links to the RAM expansion i'll need and the 2.06 decoder board?  If I can't do it I have a friend who is aces with that stuff.

Thank you very much for the help

RAM expansion can be done as in other ST-s, signals are accessible at RAM chips. Need only to look for MAD9  - that's for 1 Mbit RAM chips (then can have 4 or 2.5 MB).  Best is to have board for RAM expansion with 4 bit chips - then need 8 chips instead 32 . Finding proper chips now might be harder.

And can do it with 30 pin SIMs (what goes in STE) too. I can give more details, but first step is to get proper chips or SIMs (non-EDO), speed around 100nS is fine.

For TOS 2.06 using 4x 27C512 can be solution. They fit in existing 28 pin sockets, while usual solution with 2x 27C1000 needs 32 pin sockets. Logic is in 1 GAL chip. How it looks in Mega ST (6 ROM sockets too) can see here:  http://atari.8bitchip.info/tosimav.html

At about 70% of page, section "Solution for TOS 2.14 or original 2.06 with 4x 28 pin EPROM chips - no need for intermediate socket, so will remain low."

Edited by ParanoidLittleMan
pin number correction

• 4 weeks later...

I wouldn't bother with 2.06.  Also you don't have the RF mod so you are missing circuitry for composite video so you will be limited on displays.  I would just put TOS 1.04 in it and leave it as is and get a newer ST like a 1040STE where you can easily upgrade the RAM to 4MB and TOS to 2.06.