IGNORED

Atari 400 cart socket replacement options?

Smokeless Joe

Three days after the final assembly of my deluxe 400, I managed to break off both tabs on the cartridge socket.

What are my options to replace it?  

- The Atari 400 - 800 Field Service Manual (p. 9-4) lists the part as C014021 Cartridge Socket.  Googling that doesn't get me very far.

- I have a similar part from an 800XL that looks like it might fit.

- Any 3D printer files out there?  

Any other ideas?

13 hours ago, ClausB said:

Small screws tapped into the plastic socket with plastic washers on the underside?

I was having a hard time picturing this until I realized how poor a job I did explaining my problem.  My mistake!

The part in question is #10 on the attached picture.  The tabs I broke off are the ones at the top, the tabs that move the cartridge protector thing out of the way when a cartridge is inserted.  The tabs on the bottom, that hold the part to the motherboard, are fine.

Fortunately, the analogous part on the 800XL fits well enough.  Aesthetically it doesn't match, but it's hard to see anyway,  Functionally, it works!

00033458-00003.thumb.png.dd60b9acbb55f9c68668c23a84fc6645.png

Speaking of broken cartridge door opening tabs.... what do you do when one is broken off of a 65XE or 130XE ?

I have a 130XE that is like new minus that one of those tabs is broken off.  I was thinking of finding some close matching plastic (maybe from a 3.5" floppy disk shell) and epoxy it in ?

The file for printing the 1088XEL cartridge tunnel for the Realan cases is available here:

https://ataribits.weebly.com/accessories.html

Alternately, they’re available for purchase here:

https://thebrewingacademy.com/products/1088xel-cartridge-tunnel-for-realan-h80?_pos=1&_sid=8a9d243dc&_ss=r

Worst case, I could order one and dremel it down to fit in the 400.  With some effort, I ought to be able to edit the pattern and make one specifically for the 400.  Fun!

• Like 1