IGNORED

two games in Atari MS BASIC and resource page

hloberg

Atari MS BASIC did get much love back in the day. I, personally, have always liked it. It's fast, easy translate programs in and has lots of features.

So, a while back, I wrote a couple simple games for in Atari MS BASIC. Uno (the card game) and Awari (see David Ahl Computer Games book for description) to make a little demo of it's capabilities.

I can't remember If I posted these a while back, my check i didn't see any, but if i did I apologize. I been hang out in the TI99 forum for a couple years working on some projects and just getting back to the 8-bit.

Awari-MSB.ATR Uno-MSB.ATR

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Those are the first games I've seen written in MS BASIC.

Awari looked like Mankala but with a bit different rules.

I was curious about the BASIC syntax and listed Uno. I was surprised how some structured programming worked, which is very different of what TurboBasic XL has.

Nice contribution... Thanks!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, vitoco said:

Those are the first games I've seen written in MS BASIC.

Awari looked like Mankala but with a bit different rules.

I was curious about the BASIC syntax and listed Uno. I was surprised how some structured programming worked, which is very different of what TurboBasic XL has.

Nice contribution... Thanks!

I've played mankala and there are essentially the same. I had thought about allowing to play Awari rules or Mankala rules but was too lazy to implement it. ;)

I also translated Uno to TBXL at one time and the speed was about the same. oh, and feel free to play with the code and if you come up with a better MSBASIC version, post it.

13 minutes ago, hloberg said:

oh, and feel free to play with the code and if you come up with a better MSBASIC version, post it.

By these days, I'm programming using FastBasic, which does not require line numbers, and all the code must be structured. I feel it would be a step back to return to GOTOs, which I'm doing only in my tiny Atari BASIC tenliners exclusively when required. ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vitoco said:

By these days, I'm programming using FastBasic, which does not require line numbers, and all the code must be structured. I feel it would be a step back to return to GOTOs, which I'm doing only in my tiny Atari BASIC tenliners exclusively when required. ?

need to give FastBASIC a look. sound interesting.

4 minutes ago, Philsan said:

Microsoft Basic II is a nice language but I think it was used by very few people.

It would be nice to find more programs made with it.

You can find latest FastBasic release here:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/308797-fastbasic-44-beta/?do=findComment&comment=4599760

The book "Adventures with the Atari" includes two adventures written in MS Basic (and also two programs written in Pilot). Thanks to Allan for typing it in...   http://ataribasiclistings.mygamesonline.org/Adventures_With_The_Atari.7z

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, CharlieChaplin said:

The book "Adventures with the Atari" includes two adventures written in MS Basic (and also two programs written in Pilot). Thanks to Allan for typing it in...   http://ataribasiclistings.mygamesonline.org/Adventures_With_The_Atari.7z

thanks. I'll add it to my other MSB.

7 hours ago, Philsan said:

Microsoft Basic II is a nice language but I think it was used by very few people.

It would be nice to find more programs made with it.

You can find latest FastBasic release here:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/308797-fastbasic-44-beta/?do=findComment&comment=4599760

I have a few other MSB stuff I had been working on and put to the side I'll eventually post.

note: the games I posted had a homebrew variant called MSB 2.7. whoever modded it took out a few unnecessary bytes and made it to be able to boot a MSB program after it loads. it also does not require a MSBII cart as it loads from disk. It's actually a variant of MSB 1.0 even though it's named 2.7.  

and downloaded the fastbasic, thanks.

On 8/13/2020 at 2:44 AM, CharlieChaplin said:

here is the book and the files. both MSB games are on disk 1.

MSB games Adventures_With_The_Atari.7z