IGNORED

ZX Spectrum Keyboard Membrane Replacement

As you may be aware, a forum member here gave away a boxed, original model 48K ZX Spectrum for the cost of shipping a few months ago and I was the lucky recipient (thank you again to therealbountybob!).  The keyboard membrane needs to be replaced as several keys are non-responsive.  I've sourced another membrane and I've looked inside the system to see which keyboard face plate I have; it's the glue-fastened one.

The two YT videos I found showing the repair both have the metal tab face plate and I'm not really sure how to proceed.  Apparently, a hair dryer is useful for melting the glue but my SO doesn't have one.

Has anyone here done this repair (with the glue-fastened face plate) and how did you do it?  My impression is that there are a number of different ways to skin the cat (that's a metaphor, not condoning animal cruelty) and I would like to get a handle on what those ways are and choose the way that most suits me.

Thank you for your time and for any advice you can give.

Edited by English Invader

I have a spare ZX facing similar operation. I've been putting it off for months now, but when I eventually get to it I will probably do what these guy did:

https://perceptionistruth.com/2012/10/i-fixed-one-or-replacing-your-zx-spectrum-48k-keyboard-membrane/comment-page-1/

https://medium.com/@tony.gillett/zxspectrum-e749bd7a384e

Which is, just use some plastic thingy. I also don't own a hairdryer :)

Well... not like I've tried it or anything. Just sayin' there's other sources of heat, like a tungsten-filament "Edison" light bulb :idea: you might happen to have (if you didn't chuck them all in the bin after switching to LEDs). You might have to get creative with how you prop the ZX top enclosure over the lamp till it's warm enough, but not so warm it warps.

Hair dryers are pretty cheap, for that matter. You can always gift it to the SO when you're done removing the old keyboard. Double Win! :)

May need to invest in a pair of gloves too. Don't ask the SO to borrow hers, she might worry you next want the rest of the ensemble! :o

• Like 1