IGNORED

TI99/4A Screen corruption issue

StephenM

Hi,

This is my first TI99/4a repair and have been trying to find a solution in this forum but cannot find one. 

Initially I had screen corruption and found that one of the 4116 RAM had failed. As in the first pic.

Success, a nice simple repair but after trying it again the screen slowly corrupts after about 20 seconds. First it starts nicely then a pixel disappears from the hyphen and then characters and different coloured blocks appear in the lower third of the screen.

I tried it with a cartridge and the game works, but as before, it starts to fail graphically.

Any ideas?

Screen image is a bit poor as it needs a composite modification as the original modulator needs grounding properly.

Best regards

StephenM

IMG_20200810_191731.jpg

IMG_20200813_161932.jpg

IMG_20200813_162302.jpg

I ordered an 9918a from eBay and it worked in my system that had faded coloring, and applied new thermal grease - that chip lasted 15 minutes and croaked.

At least with the old chip I can still use the computer.

Scared to buy another from eBay even though mine said tested, from Arizona but chips were from China the seller said, but no TI logo either.

A test needs to be longer than 5 minutes.

Edited by GDMike

10 hours ago, GDMike said:

I ordered an 9918a from eBay and it worked in my system that had faded coloring, and applied new thermal grease - that chip lasted 15 minutes and croaked.

At least with the old chip I can still use the computer.

Scared to buy another from eBay even though mine said tested, from Arizona but chips were from China the seller said, but no TI logo either.

A test needs to be longer than 5 minutes.

Definitely need to be stress tested for a couple of hours. My system boots perfectly but something is going wrong when it warms up. I'll need the PAL version for mine.

2 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Stephen - where in the world are you? Is it a TMS9929 you need?

I'm in the UK. I've ordered a couple from different sources, alas China, so it will be a while before they arrive. Fingers crossed that are what they say on top of the chip.

11 minutes ago, StephenM said:

I'm in the UK. I've ordered a couple from different sources, alas China, so it will be a while before they arrive. Fingers crossed that are what they say on top of the chip.

I've got some 9929's here looking for a new home. If you want a couple, PM me your address and I'll pop them in the post.

• Thanks 2