IGNORED

Titan - Lynx 2020 competition entry

karri

Titan, the moon of Saturn seems to have Space-Time crystals.

You can play and give points to this game entry at https://itch.io/jam/lynx2020/rate/716019

titan2.gif.ab5467120bc5ffe918041be70ea5cadb.gif

With good feedback there is a chance that this game gets a physical release!

Here is also a LYX file for AgaCart titan.lyx

And a padded file for SD titan.lnx

For the background story and instructions have a look at the home page of Titan game https://karrika.itch.io/titan

Controls: Opt2 = turn off/on background music.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Tidus79001 said:

This game certainly look like it has lot of potential to shine.  I do hope that there will be physical release when development of the game is completed.

I was a bit late with the idea for Titan. So I just had to drop two enemies that I had already designed. The next enemy would have been a bomb dropping mechanical hawk. And after that the end boss "2 worms in a Jetson style flying saucer".

worms.png.2cf8cffc60755b1027b67c602c06930b.png

But there may be a break in development for a while as my vacation ends today.

1 hour ago, 4ever2600 said:

Karri again with his awesome programming! Id be in for a physical.

It will be interesting to see how this shop-part of the competition turns out.

I would like to add some obstacles to the game that require you to use the ricochet capability of the bullets. It could be some kind of bonus activity. Perhaps an after-game activity?

Would it be too cruel to leave your brain strolling around on Titan for eternity in the drone that has no propose after the space-time crystals were shipped home?

Btw. Have you noticed that picking up a space-time crystal works as a check point in the game. If you die you always get returned to the time and space where you picked up the last space-time crystal. This is one of the special properties of space-time crystals.

I also like the other games in the collection for this competition. Once I get a label for Xump2, Sybil and Minimal I have the whole collection :) 

IMG_20200822_094518.thumb.jpg.2e38208a590e89cc117aae885bd24e5d.jpg

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, LordKraken said:

The 3d printing quality of your shells looks amazing ?

Thanks. I believe that this is the best way for creating your own carts at home:

FlashForge Adventurer 3 printer (Or Monoprice Voxel. It is just a re-branded version.)

Canon Selphy CP910 photo printer.
RaspberryPi + PiHAT for burning Lynx carts.

Materials:

- Karri's PCB panel for the electronics
- ABS black plastic 1.75mm
- 10 by 15 cm glossy material for the Canon Selphy printer.

IMG_20200820_230143.jpg.be0f54f5ea48123f12e58b4d744177e3.jpg

Cost:

- all your money
- most of your time

• Like 1

Played all the compo games intensively tonight and here are my impression on Titan (or is it Titan 2040 now?).

Nice graphics and smooth scrolling, I like the 80-ish cheesy story and the intro screen (I would put the story on a darker background), I like also that you can fire a lot of bullets and the ricochets (some slow down over a certain number though). Now I felt that the ingame music was not the best suited for the action and I would rather have more enemies that you can destroy a bit faster. 

Also I noted that you control the scrolling by moving forward but you can actually go backward as well... So I'm just playing with ideas here but I'd love to see this possibility extended further, i.e. to be able to navigate the map in all 4 directions, searching for the crystal.

TLDR; A pretty good start for a bigger game. Super curious to see how it evolves :)

• Like 1

I love the humour in the intro story! :D Interesting technical achievement with all the things flying around and I like the Amiga/Bitmap Brothers influenced graphics. Intrigued to see more of it!

The top down view and slower pace made me think about Paradroid, taking over other robots in that circuit mini game (just as in an brainstorming idea to add something to the game, if you're taking it further at some point).

On 8/22/2020 at 10:17 AM, karri said:

Cost:

- all your money
- most of your time

Haha! :grin: Damn it man those physical carts look so great! Does the 3D printer involve a lot of maintenance and a lot of failed prints and filament getting stuck?

Edited by Turbo Laser Lynx

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I finally had the time to play and rate all the competition entries.

First of all congrats Karri for putting such a promising game in record time.

I really hope you'll keep working on it, as it have a lot of potential (the Lynx is great for shoot'em ups).

Regarding feedback, I really love the artwork, very beautiful - it feels like a Bitmap Brothers game.

The "sci-fi / steampunk" mood is very original, and I love your unique blend of serious shooter and humorous story.

For the gameplay, I think the bouncing shots are a wonderful idea, but that isn't used at it's full potential yet.

For example, you could have enemies that could be hit only from the back, or from a certain angle.

Other enemies could return your shots so you'll have to avoid them.

Maybe you could even set up a combo system or something like that: the more a shot bounces before hitting a enemy, the more powerful it'll be (you'll need to change the graphics each time the shot bounces so we can see how powerful a shot is). That way, people would be invited to make shots bounce, and that will make your game even more unique compared to the other shoot'em ups.

You could even imagine enemies or bosses that could be hit only with shots that already bounced 1 or 2 times before hitting them.

I'd also like to face weaker enemies - having one enemy that takes a ton of shots is fun once in a while, but when all the enemies are able to absorb a ton a shots before dying, it slows down gameplay and becomes a bit tedious IMHO. So maybe throw in some "weakling" in addition the though enemies already in the game (those robots are damn hard to kill and dangerous to avoid!)

TLDR: great work so far, and I'm eager to see how you turn it into a full game, hopefully for the next Lynx compo ;)

Edited by drludos
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I did manage to get the game (Titan) to do an interesting glitch once, I loaded it up to play on my flash cart and got a phone call like the instant before I actually started playing but the game was loaded. Some 15 to 20 seconds later, the long rectangular enemies were approaching me (I don't think I'd moved at all yet). After defeating those, there were no more enemies for the entire game, and the graphics were a little glitchy on the background.

I tried reproducing it, but couldnt.... waiting a good 2-3 min at the start didn't seem to have the same effect again... even advancing a little and then waiting 2-3 min still didn't cause it. I don't remember 100% how it unfolded when the glitch happened.

6 hours ago, kimchipenguin said:

This is the only game in the contest I don't understand. Tried it on two Lynx emulators and there were no "space crystals". At my first play attempt there were plenty of enemies, later attempts - barely any enemy at all.

The "space crystals" are oscillating blue crystals. You probably destroyed then as enemies. You shoul not shoot them but navigate on top of them to pick them up.

--
BR,

Karri