IGNORED

Atari ST Case Mods

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has done any fancy mods to their ST's to change the way they look.

My Atari ST had cracks all over the plastic which I fixed with Epoxy, but this still left it looking damaged. So I decided to get some vinyl wrap and turn it into a little DIY project.

I've attached a WIP photo below, still a long way to go.

Anyway, I'd love to see what others have done with their ST's and to hear about how their project went on.

15974340211918410684116271947692.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

"Water transfer" is water transfer printing or hydrographics. Easier if you look it up this way, there are many videos explaining it . Here is one:

This is of course industrial, there are home kits and it's cheap. Just have to research finding the right primer and film (pattern) you need.

My friend (Maarten @Atarilegend) who has Woody nr2 is planning a video about it later this year. I'll share once done.

The keycaps are painted (dipped for the Woody) and I used my custom made sticker sheets for the letters (I designed them to match the Atari ST style and a company printed them). I had to go with this cheaper DIY option.

Edited by Robson
  • Like 1

I did this project years ago.  Took a Mega ST and put it into a PC type tower case.

It was great while it ran.  Unfortunately it had a fatal flaw.  Putting a motherboard designed to rest horizontally in a vertical position caused some of the chips to work themselves loose.

It had an internal hard drive, external CDRom drive, Tape backup drive and a 3/5" floppy drive.

For the keyboard I mounted a phone jack to the back of the case.  It's the white box near the bottom.

301.jpg

008.jpg

P1040594.jpg

Edited by djglish
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, djglish said:

I did this project years ago.  Took a Mega ST and put it into a PC type tower case.

It was great while it ran.  Unfortunately it had a fatal flaw.  Putting a motherboard designed to rest horizontally in a vertical position caused some of the chips to work themselves loose.

It had an internal hard drive, external CDRom drive, Tape backup drive and a 3/5" floppy drive.

For the keyboard I mounted a phone jack to the back of the case.  It's the white box near the bottom.

301.jpg

008.jpg

P1040594.jpg

I love the logo, I like the idea of a tower Mega ST so is a shame it didn't work out.

Did you make it for space reasons? And also, what happened to the ST after that? ?

I actually took those pictures today, so it's still sitting in the basement.  Some day I might try reseating the chips one more time and see if I can get it running again.  I still have the old Mega ST case.  I'm working on mounting a mini PC in a STF case.  Some day I might build a PC into the old Mega case.  It has a roomier inside space compared to the ST.  Also working on the same idea for an old 800XL.  I might have to mount the motherboard in a 1050 drive case though.

• Like 1

I'm getting ready to clean up an Atari ST case and was wondering if there is any trick to removing the keys from the keyboard?  There is a lot of debris on the keys and underneath them.  I don't want to just pry them off if I might damage them or have trouble getting them back on.

8 hours ago, djglish said:

I'm getting ready to clean up an Atari ST case and was wondering if there is any trick to removing the keys from the keyboard?  There is a lot of debris on the keys and underneath them.  I don't want to just pry them off if I might damage them or have trouble getting them back on.

Some of the keys such as the space bar and I think the return key if I'm not mistaken? Will also be attached with piece of metal that you just need to slide out from under the hooks, but because it's old plastic, I'd recommend being especially careful not to just yank these particular keys out.

I recased one Atari STE into a PC case once to match the beige appearance of my Atari 800.  Why?   The Atari STE became my APE solution as a virtual floppy drive setup.   Worked quite well.  I believe the program on the Atari ST was 800XLDJ.  To complete the look I actually labeled the recased Atari ST "890", as a beige variant of the 1090 XL prototype that allowed for expansion slots.

In time this setup was replaced with the MyIde and other solutions that allowed the Atari 800 to have an more direct hard drive solution, but it was fun for like a year.  :D

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to see if I could get my Tower ST running again.  I kept it on it's side and plugged it all in.  The floppy drive seems a little flaky but the system did boot up (sometimes).  

Guess I have another project to take up my time again.