IGNORED

The Games That Weren't Book (featuring Deathwatch)

JaggingUK

On 10/19/2020 at 5:20 PM, KidGameR186496 said:

Check out these neve-before-seen assets from Data Design Interactive's Deathwatch (a.k.a. Switchdeath, a.k.a. Bug) for the Atari Jaguar. Looked gorgeous from a company that would later become infamous for their Wii shovelware...
https://www.gamesthatwerent.com/2020/10/deathwatch/

Thank you, how cool to see all this stuff popping up all these years later. If only a playable rom would unearth too.

I couldn't stop laughing about this one. Guess there is no shortage of people who are mad at Atari :-D :

rem-concept-scaled.jpg

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Lost Dragon said:

I remember some of the screenshots for Waterworld from some game magazines back then. I think I also bought the game console one in France. Always thought it looked really cool with the rendered graphics back then. Never so a screenshot with any characters in it and realizing now how ridiculously bad they actually look from the point of view today. Funny. Wasn't it also announced somewhere for the Jag, I think I saw it in some lists but maybe the same like some of the other vaporware games for the jag. Interesting anyway, makes one more interested in the book. ?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, PeterG said:

I remember some of the screenshots for Waterworld from some game magazines back then. I think I also bought the game console one in France. Always thought it looked really cool with the rendered graphics back then. Never so a screenshot with any characters in it and realizing now how ridiculously bad they actually look from the point of view today. Funny. Wasn't it also announced somewhere for the Jag, I think I saw it in some lists but maybe the same like some of the other vaporware games for the jag. Interesting anyway, makes one more interested in the book. ?

Yep, annouced by Ocean America:

https://archive.org/stream/HiTechMagazine/HiTech 04#page/n80/mode/1up

https://web.archive.org/web/20180930033715/https://retrocdn.net/index.php?title=File%3AGamePro_US_075.pdf&page=169

And suffered the same fate as so many of these annouced in the press Lost Jaguar titles. 

I got far more enjoyment from reading about the 3DO and Playstation versions of the game, than i ever did watching the film. 

Frank has done a sterling write up on the lost titles. 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Lost Dragon said:

Jesuschrist! What platform wasn't Putty Squad planned for? Seriously...

On a related note, I finally talked with Frank about Gotcha! for the Atari Jaguar. He told me that he approached Jonathan Court about the game but Jonathan went silent afterwards. That doesn't surprise me, knowing that Jon works at Creative Assembly and he might be very busy right now but here's hoping Frank manages to unearth more about Jaguar Gotcha! in the future than I could...

7 hours ago, KidGameR186496 said:

Jesuschrist! What platform wasn't Putty Squad planned for? Seriously...

On a related note, I finally talked with Frank about Gotcha! for the Atari Jaguar. He told me that he approached Jonathan Court about the game but Jonathan went silent afterwards. That doesn't surprise me, knowing that Jon works at Creative Assembly and he might be very busy right now but here's hoping Frank manages to unearth more about Jaguar Gotcha! in the future than I could...

That's not been an uncommon occurrence sadly over the years. 

In the short time i have known Frank, he has talked of contact with the likes of Bob Armour and Susan Mcbride suddenly ending, emails go unanswered there's not much you can do in these situations. 

We had a set of interview questions sat awaiting replies from Frank Cohen, regarding the C64 and A8, Frank was very polite, apologetic, said he would get around to answering them, it never happened and we never heard anything more. 

If your looking into a game multiple people worked on, you can try alternative sources, but when it's things like Jaguar Gotcha!, all your eggs are literally in one basket. 

You did sterling work getting Bobby Earl to talk  (briefly) about Jaguar Toki... 

That was a great asset to the community. 

I believe Frank had approached him and had no reply. 

Edited by Lost Dragon

1 hour ago, agradeneu said:

How are those related to Jaguar?

In a way, Nightbreed is related to the Jaguar, as David Wightman also created Baldies for the Jaguar CD.

6 hours ago, Lost Dragon said:

That Rotator game looks dope as hell! It sucks it was never released. You can tell some member in the development process was inspired by Namco's arcade game Assault.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, agradeneu said:

How are those related to Jaguar?

This thread was created by Jagginguk to promote the GTW BOOK, his O. P:

The Bitmap Books people that do amazing quality books have a new one coming out that looks like it will have some things of interest in it for us Atari fans. It is all about the most famous games that were never made and features 80 games and is over 600 pages. I can swear for the quality of these guys books as their Atari 2600/7800 book is a thing of beauty so there is no reason to think that this one will not be amazing too. It mentions on the promo page that some of the games covered are:

Deathwatch (Atari Jaguar)

Green Lantern (Atari ST, Commodore Amiga, SEGA Mega Drive and Super Nintendo)

Solar Jetman (Amstrad CPC, Atari ST, Commodore 64, Commodore Amiga 500 and ZX Spectrum 128K)

Rolling Thunder (Atari Lynx)

and if you look inside the promo pages for the book there is even more Atari stuff in their too.

I have no affiliation with the guys who make these books but just thought it may be of interest to some of us on here. They really do the most amazing quality books, I bought the Atari 2600/7800 one and am hoping this one will be equally as good when I have the spare money to order one once I am back at work.

https://www.bitmapbooks.co.uk/products/the-games-that-werent?mc_cid=5d7195898b&mc_eid=877f041afd

I  have been using this thread as the general updates/bonus content Frank has been adding to the GTW site ever since the GTW Book was released, over the course of a good few weeks now. 

Frank's put content out relating to the A8 and ST, as well as Atari Arcade titles. 

Lost Games are something of a niche subject,  i didn't feel it was worth having a seperate thread for the bonus content being put up for anyone who was interested. 

Thread title might have caused some confusion it seems. 

Edited by Lost Dragon
  • Like 1