IGNORED

Micropendium Collection

Nice! I have a bunch, but didn't pop for the disks.

Be aware USPS is not as loose with media mail as in year's past. Any advertising won't be accepted. I tried to ship one of the history CDs I sell that's only pics and text, and the clerk said nope and we chatted about it. They might accept it from you but if it gets flagged by another postmaster down the delivery chain, the recipient might get billed the difference in postage. If you really wanna know ahead of time, take a few sample issues to your P.O. and ask...or just take a chance! |:)

-Ed

From https://www.usps.com/ship/mail-shipping-services.htm

Here's what you can send:

• Books (at least 8 pages)
  • 16-millimeter or narrower width films
  • Printed music and test materials
  • Video and sound recordings
  • Playscripts and manuscripts
  • Printed educational reference charts
  • Medical loose-leaf pages and binders
  • Computer-readable media

NOTE: Video games, computer drives, and digital drives do not qualify for Media Mail prices.

More detailed breakdown: https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/173.htm#ep1113500

There is no specific allowance for magazines, which does not surprise me as magazines tend to be commercial periodicals with supporting advertisements inserted as cards and printed pages.  Books are generally expected to have some educational value.  Thus I would think perhaps the USPS could be lobbied to make an official exception for out-of-print magazines given the historical and educational value.

• Like 1

I mailed a complete set of MICROpendiums to Owen Brand awhile back via Media rate. There is a restriction on the percentage of advertising that is allowed - I don't recall what it is. However, the MICROpendiums were under the limit. The only problem is that they take FOREVER to get there since media is the lowest priority.

@atrax27407 I think the big problem is how subjectively the rules are applied.  Some people will swear up and down they ship stuff like magazines and video games willy-nilly via Media Mail with nary issue.  Others found their packages inspected and either returned or to show up at the far-end postage due.  It seems to depend on random chance so, like Ed says, people will just roll the die.  (And hope they roll 20s.)

Meh.  Whatever.  My question is, do we have good copies of these mags and disks in our public collection?  I do not think @32251 is that far from me.  Maybe once my back heals up he could entertain a visit :)

(FWIW, I have purchased some COMPUTE! magazines from him to take the shelf space of my original torn and beaten up ones.  Oh, the memories of coming home from school to find the latest issue in our mailbox... hoping it was not covered in snow.)

• Like 1

The entire run of M'pendium is available as scanned pages in PaperPort format. That's an older format and perhaps not as "friendly" as PDF but they work on my older PPC Mac under Classic. Somewhere I found a PDF of Volume 1, but it's only as formatted text; layouts and ads have been stripped away. That one may have been sourced from the CYC. Just not the same to me.

The MP disks have also been preserved, on WHT, maybe elsewhere?

BITD I impatiently awaited each new MP issue lukewarm off the press, same as Old CS1 hungered for his COMPUTE! to arrive. 'Cept I was in my 30's, lol! Pre-internet, there just wasn't much current or relevant content for the TI in the mainstream magazine field. I'd flip through any computer-related title on the racks at the stores and buy any that had a mention of TI. The huge Computer Shopper magazine had a good monthly column on it for awhile, but comprising maybe a page or two out of their 300+ pages per issue was only a tickler. Once TI bid farewell, so did the coverage in the multi-platform rags.

-Ed

Edited by Ed in SoDak

I should have completed all the Micropendium collection, only few issues in ugly shape.
on TI99iuc is already started the project to complete this page with re-scanned issues in high resolution at 600dpi with a really optimized compression in the final PDF.
If someone want to help to scan them i will be happy to work on post editing work to have this result:
http://www.ti99iuc.it/web/sfoglia/?cid=221&sub=sfogliabile/Vol14n04-1997/

The TI stuff to preserve is really a lot and all the stuff published on my website is not just a republishing of stuff around internet but all is re-scanned / cleaned stuff.
I Love to preserve stuff creating a Full Database. Also iif there's someone who feels confident to work on post editing of the pages as well and would like to help please, contact me, of course i will be very happy :)

I also already dumped dozens of Micropendium's disks from teh collection of @globeron, have to catalog them because there are doubles and have to understand which one was the original not modified version.
Also in this case i will be very happy to receive help to collect the full collection in .dsk format :)

Edited by ti99iuc
  • Like 2

For what it’s worth, I intend to bid on this lot, and i would be happy to make any scans of issues that are needed, or images of any of the floppies. Even if I win this lot, I will STILL be missing a few issues, if I am judging correctly from the pictures. Afterwards I will turn around and re-list my duplicates, which will probably be over 100 issues. 

Incidentally, I still ship floppies as media rate and haven’t had an issue. The only check seems to be by the clerk at the post office, and nobody at my branch has questioned it. Computer media is still acceptable as long as the content is not advertising. I think they are just trying to prevent AOL floppies from going out cheap.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, peterfleeman said:

I intend to bid on this lot, and i would be happy to make any scans of issues that are needed

I think a good modern format would be helpful.

11 minutes ago, peterfleeman said:

AOL floppies from going out cheap.

I saw somewhere people are collecting these things, now.