IGNORED

"Dragonfly" my version of the Atari 7800 SD cartridge

rj1307

On 9/8/2020 at 5:31 PM, desiv said:

In that case, I need to talk to Chad, because pretty sure I paid $250.

Nope, I lied...

$210 with shipping...

Just checked my email receipt.

For some reason I was thinking $250.

My bad on that..

And again, it's not been available for a decade. The CC2 means nothing to the large number of people looking for one now. Waiting for the odd one to pop up on the secondary market is useless to everyone aside from the single person who overpays for that one cart.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shawn said:

And again, it's not been available for a decade. The CC2 means nothing to the large number of people looking for one now. Waiting for the odd one to pop up on the secondary market is useless to everyone aside from the single person who overpays for that one cart.

That's not my point.

The question was, why do people bring up 2600 compatibility.

I think that is because a previous product did that.

Not saying it makes sense now or is still available or anything like that.

Just that it is probably the reason why people ask for it so much.

Back on track with original topic. MAN this is awesome. Do you have an idea of when you will start having these ready for order?

I been trying to get a cart for my 7800 for couple years now. CC2 are rare and expensive when you do find them and Mateos has all but gone MIA the past couple years not return inquiries.  Glad to see its working on NTSC systems 

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

Time to update.

The redesigned PCB was launched and mostly programmed, unfortunately I made a mistake and I have to correct it again. The photo shows a few cables that I had to save the situation ;) 

IMGP8521.thumb.jpg.7ccd6797a5eb4a2ef30b29ec25edd633.jpg

There was an additional expansion connector that I used for the module from YM2151. Yes, Dragonfly handles Yamaha just like the XM does. The YM2151 module will be available separately as an option.

IMGP8522.thumb.jpg.c6cdbb2adbcfdefacba26da11c75f033.jpgIMGP8523.thumb.jpg.d729af3620be0c6b0a94462246b3389b.jpg

The proof below:

In the meantime, I designed the case, this is what it looks like now:

IMGP8519.thumb.jpg.899deaeb6586866e2c6fb69d92f939f1.jpgIMGP8530.thumb.jpg.5731d5425c8eb7d95280fa1dc36b779b.jpgIMGP8529.thumb.jpg.794f995cc1001cb28adf1c6b9186b787.jpgIMGP8532.thumb.jpg.4425c6dffec6d1856a41e380db645cd1.jpg

It took a while to fix the power connector problem, but it turned out fine.

IMGP8515.thumb.jpg.b4380eb8c6a91d6db880e1573a4b5d4c.jpgIMGP8516.thumb.jpg.b00ba3e029c90b33e803259e876f81f8.jpg

This is what Dragonfly looks like running in the console.

IMGP8536.thumb.jpg.e30e6bfe057f8d4ef9ac5f056fc74ca5.jpg

Initial valuation at today's exchange rate;
- Dragonfly basic version (without Pokey and YM2151) - 350PLN / $93
- Pokey Max - 160PLN / $42
- YM2151 module - 100PLN / $26

Worldwide shipping will probably be $ 25 / $ 6.5, but I have yet to check it out.

When Pokey Max is installed, the Dual Pokey feature will be available at $0440 and Covox at $0430. Interrupts from Pokey and YM2151 are also available.

The USB connector is based on the FT232, so drivers for it are available for every operating system.

Due to different power supply standards, no power adapter will be attached to the cartridge, the required voltage is 9V and a current of min. 1.5A, connector 5.5 / 2.1 plus inside.

Edited by rj1307
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

The little expansion connector for sound boards is a great idea - and nice work cramming the YM2151 and all its supporting components onto the one above. My only recommendation is to add some sort of cartridge audio mixing knob (at least a pot) if there isn't one already. This'll get rid of a lot of headache with the different leveling in both the commercial machines and aftermarket mods.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, rj1307 said:

In the meantime, I designed the case, this is what it looks like now:

IMGP8519.thumb.jpg.899deaeb6586866e2c6fb69d92f939f1.jpgIMGP8530.thumb.jpg.5731d5425c8eb7d95280fa1dc36b779b.jpgIMGP8529.thumb.jpg.794f995cc1001cb28adf1c6b9186b787.jpgIMGP8532.thumb.jpg.4425c6dffec6d1856a41e380db645cd1.jpg

In looking at this case design... unless I'm not seeing it, I would suggest adding in additional support for behind the LCD assembly to brace it.

And lets get back to the Stereo pokey option? The external audio line is a single channel on the 7800 so all that would accomplish is perhaps allowing more voices than usual with the use of a Pokey or in this case the PokeyMax but you wouldn't actually be able to get stereo left/right channels unless you include a separate audio out that actually mixes the onboard TIA with the external and you connect the audio out from the Dragonfly cart itself instead of from the actual console?

40 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

In looking at this case design... unless I'm not seeing it, I would suggest adding in additional support for behind the LCD assembly to brace it.

And lets get back to the Stereo pokey option? The external audio line is a single channel on the 7800 so all that would accomplish is perhaps allowing more voices than usual with the use of a Pokey or in this case the PokeyMax but you wouldn't actually be able to get stereo left/right channels unless you include a separate audio out that actually mixes the onboard TIA with the external and you connect the audio out from the Dragonfly cart itself instead of from the actual console?

Do you mean immobilizing the LCD?

I am not writing Stereo but Dual Pokey, both channels (also with YM2151) are summed into one and in the console again summed up with TIA. As you wrote, it's about increasing channels.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

I’m in! Pokey & YM2151 model please. ?

Yep, me too. This thing blows everything else out of the water. Nothing even comes close that anyone else has even mentioned doing. It's not even close. The price and tech offered here can't be beat for my spending dollars.

• Like 1

I mean that from the looks of the thickness of the LCD and that is attached at the side, it needs some support behind it to be sure it can't be pressed inwards when in the case and possibly breaking the connection at the PCB? Again, you might have bracing made for it already in the design and I'm just not picturing it correctly.

Thanks for clarifing that you meant to add more channels and not actual Left/Right separation. 

If it uses a separate barrel jack to power it and in turn power to the 7800, then what is the micro usb for below the SD slot? Firmware update?

I also like how modular you have made the overall setup and design and incorporating the actual cart PCB for he dust pegs is an excellent idea as well.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Yep, me too. This thing blows everything else out of the water. Nothing even comes close that anyone else has even mentioned doing. It's not even close. The price and tech offered here can't be beat for my spending dollars.

7 minutes ago, cjherr said:

Count me in for a Pokey and YM2151 model, please.

3 minutes ago, doug0909 said:

I'm in for the all the bells and whistles model as well... 

They are flying off the shelves!

• Like 1

I don't understand what the user is to do with that extra power cable?  Where does that go? 

The extra audio cable is only for "stereo Pokey" that has to be mixed back into the output?

Very cool to see all these components assembled into one device, though it's still a pass for me without an on screen menu.  I'm surprised with so much dev work you didn't just opt to do a basic loader (like Harmony) rather than deal with LCD's and buttons.

23 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

If it uses a separate barrel jack to power it and in turn power to the 7800, then what is the micro usb for below the SD slot? Firmware update?

No, the software update for AVR will be from the SD card (bootloader), unfortunately the CPLD from the programmer (I hope there will be no such need). USB is used to transfer game files directly from your computer to SRAM without the need for SD, such a nod to developers. You will be able to set appropriate parameters in the cartridge menu (banking) and transfer .bin files, or set Auto in the menu and transfer .A78 files, the cartridge will read the parameters from the header.
The files on the SD card must be in .A78 format.

Huge request, I don't create an order list until the cartridge is tested in its final form. I will let you know when I am sure that it will work properly on many consoles. :) 

Greg2600, the power connector is plugged into the cartridge, and the power supply for the console comes out of the cartridge through this additional cable. Again, I am not a programmer and I will not make a Menu like in Harmony. ;) 

Edited by rj1307
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I want my fully decked out DF cart in 7800 purple please?!

I have the printer set up for the Fiberlogy filament, so I suggest this color:

purple.thumb.jpg.dd5b580cc80364bf0b35b7c05ac1ce9b.jpg

And at the moment it's not red, but burgundy, my photos lightened the color too much.

9c5f050ba8199fb144c6d5c8ed21db71.thumb.jpg.195cdcf8a80804a782e72abd312a3391.jpg

If you really want a choice, I can order and print purple. But be warned, I do not intend to have a whole range of colors to choose from, the complete housing takes about 6.5 hours of printer work ;) 
And I advise against black, it's ugly.

• Like 6