IGNORED

"Dragonfly" my version of the Atari 7800 SD cartridge

rj1307

17 hours ago, ZihuaCode said:

MAME currently uses the value 1 and 2 (thus bits 0 and 1) of 53 to indicate A78_ACTIVISION and A78_ABSOLUTE.

Maybe we should use bits 2 and 3 for POKEY 440 and YM2151?

That makes sense, @RevEng, could I ask you to post it?

22 hours ago, 7800 said:

Yeah, I noticed selecting the file will show the complete name. However, when I select the file... it shows the name but also loads the game soon after. Is there a way to select the game to show the name... without the game loading? Maybe a setting to press select once to show the name, then press again to load it?

I will try to introduce this option, but it will take a while.

34 minutes ago, rj1307 said:

While it is a good idea, it will also depend on the A78 header containing the game title name within it. Many of the home brews do not have this information or is copied and pasted from something else and might not be correct.  I also assume that disabling the name show option in the DF settings would also prevent this function from working properly. So it is kind of a double edged sword. So far in my case, renaming the files has helped me to know what is what using short forms of words.

25 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

While it is a good idea, it will also depend on the A78 header containing the game title name within it.

Why do you think that? Long files names truncated down to 8.3 is a function of the FAT parsing code, not the cartridge header. Concerto shows long file names on-screen; the A8 Sdrive-MAX shows 8.3 in the file list (which are generated on the fly as the card contents are read), but when you select a file the long name is displayed. The 5200 AtariMax shows long file names, the Harmony Cart shows long file names and there isn’t even an accepted 2600 cartridge header so far as I know.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Why do you think that? Long files names truncated down to 8.3 is a function of the FAT parsing code, not the cartridge header. Concerto shows long file names on-screen; the A8 Sdrive-MAX shows 8.3 in the file list (which are generated on the fly as the card contents are read), but when you select a file the long name is displayed. The 5200 AtariMax shows long file names, the Harmony Cart shows long file names and there isn’t even an accepted 2600 cartridge header so far as I know.  

I realize that. That isn't what was being asked. He was specially requesting that it be possible to push a button to show the game title vs the 8.3 truncated name on the LCD display. Currently on the DF cart, the game title that is shown briefly just before the loading of the cart begins and then is displayed after the game is loaded and playing, is coming from the A78 header file information.

I have a few demos where it just has some generic information so the title of the game or demo..etc isn't actually shown. That is all I was talking about.

3 hours ago, rj1307 said:

Cool RJ... but if you could make the full name of the game show up in the list, that would be better. This way one could scroll up and down seeing the full name, rather than select it... then have to go back and select another. If it's not possible, I understand.

2 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

He was specially requesting that it be possible to push a button to show the game title vs the 8.3 truncated name on the LCD display.

Right. On the other hand, in the modern day and age, what purpose does it serve to parse the file name from the header bytes at all rather than just displaying that actual FAT filename in the list? 

3 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Right. On the other hand, in the modern day and age, what purpose does it serve to parse the file name from the header bytes at all rather than just displaying that actual FAT filename in the list? 

All I was saying is that currently this information is pulled from the A78 header information. If RJ decides to change what is displayed to use the actual long file name then great! 

6 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Rather than parsing the filename from the header, why not have the ability to have fields in the header akin to ID3 tags in MP3s?  Use it for metadata that describes the actual software content (name, publisher, year, etc.) separately from what's in the filename.

N.B.: I'm aware of how much agreement and coordination it would take for this to be workable, but it could conceivably fix a number of issues with software identification and cataloguing.

Edited by x=usr(1536)

35 minutes ago, Stephen said:

That sure got here quickly!  Just received my cart, serial #28.  I don't even have my 7800 down from the attic storage.  Guess I'll have to get it tomorrow.

Ohhh

32    Stephen - sent - RR432107295PL
33    CPUWIZ - sent - RR432107344PL

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I also received my cart today! Serial #30. It got here very quickly indeed! Already had the power adapter waiting for it. I left the original 7800 power supply untouched. Plugged the new power adapter into the DF cart and skipped the jumper cable. This way, I can pull the DF cart out and stow it behind the console when not in use. I keep a dust cover on my 7800 when not in use and it slides under the TV, so there is not enough clearance with a cartridge in the console.

This thing sure is plug-n-play. Fired right up and got into some games. Like Crossbow mentioned, had to 'Force' the RAM to get the "XM Enabled" on Pac Man 40th Anniv collection. Sounds great. Have not had to mess with the volumes yet. The TIA and PokeyMax sounded pretty even on Commando, with the Pokey sounds being slightly louder.

Great job for sure on the development RJ!

• Like 2

One quick note for those getting the 5.5/2.1mm adapter cable. It is wired up with center + polarity as well. Had a client that contacted me that couldn't get his 7800 powered up from his DF cart even though I had installed a barrel jack on his 7800. The reason was because I had wired in the jack as Center - same as a Genesis, SMS, Jag power supplies. As a result they either have to use two separate power supplies, or will have to cut and reverse the wires on the smaller power harness wire to the console.

So yes, just be aware that both both of the power plugs on the DF cart are wired up with Center + polarity.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

I am curious if this shipped in a box, or a bubble envelope.  Boxes don't really fit in my mailbox, just curious, it's raining.  I really need to build a WiFi notifier, when someone opens my mailbox, some day.

See post 253. The box was shipped inside a big envelope.

• Like 1