IGNORED

"Dragonfly" my version of the Atari 7800 SD cartridge

rj1307

2 hours ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

As I recall, the mod had me remove the RF modulator, so pretty sure that's what I did. I'll see if I have a 10uf cap laying around...doesn't matter what the voltage is? Also so I'm understanding correctly - one leg of the cap goes from the twisted leads to the RCA jacks? Does it matter polarity used?

I'm sure that any 10µf cap of 6.3v and above is fine. Polarity does matter in this case so you want the positive lead from the cap coming off the tied resistors with the negative lead going back to your output jacks for audio.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Muddyfunster said:

Mine went from Polish Post to Royal Mail and I could track onwards from Royal Mail using the Polish Post tracking number until it was delivered. Maybe try the Polish Post tracking number with USPS? 

Thanks for the suggestion but USPS says this number is not trackable. I know in years past I’ve tracked stuff like this from Lotharek via USPS but looks like things have changed for the worse since then. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

So per Polish Post tracking, my Dragonfly has left Poland. Any American customers find a way to track their shipments once they have gone international?

Another AA member provided 2 links that might show some additional information. But I seem to recall that they all said the same thing, basically it had left Poland and was in route to destination country from there. It basically showed up in my mailbox about 2 weeks after I saw the shipped status on the first page of the pre-orders I want to say?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Another AA member provided 2 links that might show some additional information. But I seem to recall that they all said the same thing, basically it had left Poland and was in route to destination country from there. It basically showed up in my mailbox about 2 weeks after I saw the shipped status on the first page of the pre-orders I want to say?

https://www.17track.net/en is quite good for most things. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Sadly it's been a month since mine left Poland and it hasn't shown up yet. It hasn't picked up the number in Canada Post tracking but hopefully it will arrive soon. Mail in general has been a touch slow for quite a number of months now so this is not really unusual.

- James

10 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Sadly it's been a month since mine left Poland and it hasn't shown up yet. It hasn't picked up the number in Canada Post tracking but hopefully it will arrive soon. Mail in general has been a touch slow for quite a number of months now so this is not really unusual.

- James

I was surprised mine arrived as quickly as it did honestly. During the Holidays, shipping was horribly delayed so I didn't expect it to be as quick as it was. Then the winter hit us finally about 2 weeks ago and that caused another delay in shipping to and out of my area for over a week. 

It will be worth it when you receive it though!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

mine left Poland and it hasn't shown up yet.

I had an Amiga ship from Poland and it took their government 2-3 months before releasing it to the US.

So it might depend on where its shipping to. Russia also since COVID takes months for anything to get here (I ordered Famicom Lightgun).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GoldenWheels said:

I moved to my stock RF 7800 and used the Dragonfly...suddenly have no sound issues at all. Must be some kind of weirdness with the RCA mod on my 7800 (I did not do it so not sure of the whats/hows of the mod itself) as now everything sounds as it should.

If you are comfortable with opening up that 7800 and taking some pics. Perhaps a few of us here might be able to help? Far as I know, the method I use for audio on the UAVs works fine on the DF carts. Only issues I've had at least with mine personally was having to turn the volume all the way down on the pokey trimmers on my DF cart, but that is something that would vary from console to console.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

If you are comfortable with opening up that 7800 and taking some pics. Perhaps a few of us here might be able to help? Far as I know, the method I use for audio on the UAVs works fine on the DF carts. Only issues I've had at least with mine personally was having to turn the volume all the way down on the pokey trimmers on my DF cart, but that is something that would vary from console to console.

Will do!

17track shows that my Dragonfly has made it to NYC as of today - not bad for standard Polish Post! Hope it makes it through US Customs and on to me in the next weeks or so. I already have my PSU from Amazon so I should be good to go when it arrives. :)

• Like 2

On 2/18/2021 at 8:44 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

I'm assuming that orange wire with the resistor added in is the TIA audio? Try removing the resistor and soldering that wire to the base of R6 instead directly next to the audio tune coil.

I finally had time to try this out.

I had removed the resistor and soldered the TIA audio cable to R6. 
With this circuit, the TV / monitor must be set to 100% volume so that a very, very quiet TIA audio signal can be heard. 
Now I had the TIA audio cable soldered back to C14 without any resistance. 
It behaves exactly as if it is soldered to R6. 

Ok, everything is fine on the PAL consoles. It is probably due to the NTSC console, or rather to the A / V conversion. 
Unfortunately I only have one NTSC console. The problem NTSC console is a C025233-002 Rev.A board, from 08/1987. 
Since I live in PAL country, it's not that bad for me. But still strange.

1 hour ago, Yellowman said:

I had removed the resistor and soldered the TIA audio cable to R6. 
With this circuit, the TV / monitor must be set to 100% volume so that a very, very quiet TIA audio signal can be heard. 
Now I had the TIA audio cable soldered back to C14 without any resistance. 
It behaves exactly as if it is soldered to R6. 

See my edited picture you took below. Cut the orange wire were it is currently connected at that extra resistor for now. Then solder down the orange wire to the top of the Resistor where I have it circled. That should provide you with the proper TIA audio straight to the RCA jack. If that is too low for some reason, then move it to the bottom leg of the resistor which would be tapping the audio before the resistor. That spot I have circled is the top leg of R6 next to the audio tuning coil.

I would have added an additional 10µf cap from all of this before the RCAs for additional filtering but that should give you TIA audio more less in balance with the pokey. Then again, I never remove the cap at C10 and for something like you have, I would have left R5 and the cap at C10 in place. De-soldered the legs at the top of R5 and R6 similar to where I have it circled below. Soldered those two resistor legs together along with the + lead from a 10µf cap with the negative polarity lead of the cap back to the center RCA jack.

TIA sound fix.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/1/2021 at 3:04 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

A few pics...this is the unit that had next to NO sound on normal games.

BYGN3az.jpg

vpvGDtt.jpg

1 hour ago, GoldenWheels said:

A few pics...this is the unit that had next to NO sound on normal games.

BYGN3az.jpg

vpvGDtt.jpg

Similar to what I was suggesting on the post above. I would see if you can remove the red wire on the Aud Out from the composite mod board and just attach that to the same place I suggested above. If it won't reach, then additional wire would need to be added to increase the lenght. You could just twist some on temporarily to see if it helps.

I'm also having audio issues with the Dragonfly.  Pokey and Yamaha are fine.  My 7800 is a composite and HDMI modded one.  Tried out of both connections and barely audible at high volumes.  Regular carts are fine.  Reading a lot in the forum here, is there a sticky for this yet, or a firmware fix?  (running 1.04)

For good measure, I tried disabling the Pokey and Yamaha in the setup menu, but that didn't help either. 

34 minutes ago, CharChar2001 said:

I'm also having audio issues with the Dragonfly.  Pokey and Yamaha are fine.  My 7800 is a composite and HDMI modded one.  Tried out of both connections and barely audible at high volumes.  Regular carts are fine.  Reading a lot in the forum here, is there a sticky for this yet, or a firmware fix?  (running 1.04)

For good measure, I tried disabling the Pokey and Yamaha in the setup menu, but that didn't help either. 

Not sure which mods you have in place, but I'm going to guess is the standard composite amp board that has a dissected CVBS to HDMI converter hardwired into your console. In any event, that same mod uses the same wiring as the composite kits shown above and it seems that the audio setup on those isn't compatible with how the DF cart works at least on the TIA side. On my own setup the Pokey and Yamaha are louder than the TIA but not enough to be drastically different or cause me to crank the volume up on my AV receiver outside of where I would normally.

I'm fairly confident that on all of these, if the audio is redone by reinstalling C10 near the top back into circuit, reinstall a 6k8 back into R5 and then attach the north end leads from R5 and R6 together with a 10µf 6.3v or better cap, that it would likely resolve the issues. Not sure about stereo mods from the TIA side though, but I know the way I advise the audio be done on UAV installs works well with the DF carts.

@GoldenWheels, @Shaggy the Atarian, and @CharChar2001 I've sent you PMs regarding this.