IGNORED

"Dragonfly" my version of the Atari 7800 SD cartridge

rj1307

Just got my dragonfly and definitely sorry if this had been covered, I did read a few pages back. When I try to change games, my system powers off and back on in a frozen state with a black screen. I have to turn the cartridge switch off and on each time I change games. It doesn't appear to leave to power off long enough for mine to stay off. Is that common, anything I can do, or just keep using the cartridge switch?

It has worked a couple times now but not usually.

Edited by Hastor

28 minutes ago, Hastor said:

Just got my dragonfly and definitely sorry if this had been covered, I did read a few pages back. When I try to change games, my system powers off and back on in a frozen state with a black screen. I have to turn the cartridge switch off and on each time I change games. It doesn't appear to leave to power off long enough for mine to stay off. Is that common, anything I can do, or just keep using the cartridge switch?

It has worked a couple times now but not usually.

To change games, you need to power off the 7800 first. After that, you should be able to navigate through the Dragonfly menu to select a new game, load it, and then turn your console back on.

13 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

To change games, you need to power off the 7800 first. After that, you should be able to navigate through the Dragonfly menu to select a new game, load it, and then turn your console back on.

But see in my case, I'm able to select a different game while my 7800 is up and running and when I chose a different game to load, the DF will power off the 7800 for me. Load the game and then ask me to turn the console back on. I'm pretty sure that is intended operation so you only have to press the power button half as much as might be required otherwise.

Or at least that is how I thought it designed to be used?

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

But see in my case, I'm able to select a different game while my 7800 is up and running and when I chose a different game to load, the DF will power off the 7800 for me. Load the game and then ask me to turn the console back on. I'm pretty sure that is intended operation so you only have to press the power button half as much as might be required otherwise.

Or at least that is how I thought it designed to be used?

Hmm. Maybe so. I’ve never tried it that way so I have no idea then. The poster’s reference to “cartridge switch” is unclear to me. 

Yeah the PDF manual says it will power it of for me, and it does, but not quite long enough to keep it from rebooting. I do have a very recent recap so maybe mine holds power a little too good? Nbd as it works, just not quite as described in the manual. Except sometimes. It's like an extra 500ms might do it lol. Being able to configure the power off timing would be neat if possible in an update.

2 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Hmm. Maybe so. I’ve never tried it that way so I have no idea then. The poster’s reference to “cartridge switch” is unclear to me. 

By cartridge switch I mean the power switch on the side of the dragonfly cart. I can either turn it off and on which also cuts power to the system, or manually turn off the 7800 with the console button and pick a new game. It doesn't power it off long enough by picking a new game alone.

Edited by Hastor

Well a recap wouldn't do it as I happen to know for a fact that @sramirez2008's 7800 in addition to my own personal one have been recapped recently. Mine immediately shuts off completely as soon as I start to load up another game on the DF cart. The cart will then tell me to power on the 7800 and I do so to play. So that isn't normal no but I'm not sure exactly what would cause it.

Has anything been done to the power of your 7800 internally?

3 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Has anything been done to the power of your 7800 internally?

Not as far as I know, used the original branded adapter. This is a system you did for me back October or so @-^CrossBow^- - had rca mod that had some issues and you upgraded it to S video, Alp switches, recap, new LED, and DC-DC switch. Hasn't been opened since.

Again, not a major problem, just wondered if there was any workaround other than manually powering down, unless it sounds like a potential problem otherwise.

41 minutes ago, Hastor said:

Not as far as I know, used the original branded adapter. This is a system you did for me back October or so @-^CrossBow^- - had rca mod that had some issues and you upgraded it to S video, Alp switches, recap, new LED, and DC-DC switch. Hasn't been opened since.

Again, not a major problem, just wondered if there was any workaround other than manually powering down, unless it sounds like a potential problem otherwise.

Hmm.. Interesting. So you are powering it with the original 7800 PSU? You don't have the power supply from the DF powering the 7800 as well?

3 minutes ago, Hastor said:

No I meant before the Dragonfly it was using that, so no mods. DF powers it now.

Okay, I'm pretty sure that back in October I was already using the newer DC-DC switching regulator so you should be covered there. 7800s I did more than a year back use an older DC-DC regulator that is fine for normal 7800 PSUs but doesn't like the strictly 9v the DF cart passes onto the 7800. But I think I contacted you about that back in January when this was first being found out.

4 hours ago, Trebor said:

Try out:

Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Relax (Music Demo) (20150311).a78 

It's 1024K and included in the PROPack.

This demo is on the SD card that came with Dragonfly ;) 

4 hours ago, Hastor said:

Yeah the PDF manual says it will power it of for me, and it does, but not quite long enough to keep it from rebooting. I do have a very recent recap so maybe mine holds power a little too good? Nbd as it works, just not quite as described in the manual. Except sometimes. It's like an extra 500ms might do it lol. Being able to configure the power off timing would be neat if possible in an update.

I will add such a function in the next software update.
The console should not turn on by itself when switching games. But after turning off the power, the capacitors still have energy for a while and this means that the console can turn on by itself. There is a delay in the program that should eliminate this, but as you can see, each console behaves differently. 

It does not depend on the power supply used. 

Edited by rj1307

12 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

Sorry but that file still fails on my console, like the original one on the card provided. There is one small difference: this file has a black bar for the fuel gauge, whereas the original file is blue. 

8930C240-7C24-434C-8AD5-D8B5481FFB43.jpeg

You're right the file is not working, I copied to the SD card and tested the 128k file instead of the 64k. My bad :(
I have a white screen on the cold console, the hot one is just like in your photo. 

Wanted to touch back on the audio issues reported earlier from both @GoldenWheels and @CharChar2001 have been corrected. Just had to redo the audio on their composite mods to the method I stated and as mentioned in the UAV install guide and audio is working again properly from all cartridge types and the Dragonfly. So it is confirmed to be fixable and pretty easily as well.

• Like 1

Just read through this whole thread with interest as my Dragonfly should be here any day now. I'm in the UK, and will be using a centre negative PSU (because of space and efficiency reasons!) so my plan is to split that, then reverse the cables (thus polarity) for the one to the Dragonfly. I've also got multiple PAL machines, all with composite mods, but of different kinds. And one NTSC with a composite mod. It'll be interesting to see how it works with both.

• Like 1

I've noticed in my limited testing (and reading the manual) that memory being forced enables features such as Yamaha sound in pm collection xm. Other games have worked fine with this setting enabled. Are there any games that have problems when memory is forced, or should I leave it that way to avoid needing to toggle it when changing between some games?

Also, what else besides that title requires it to be forced to work properly or to it's fullest?

17 minutes ago, Hastor said:

I didn't know that existed. Is the other version the only game that needs 'force'?

What does it use otherwise, Pokey? My physical cart of it uses PokeyOne.

You're getting Bob's Pac games confused. :) His latest Pac-Man Collection 40th Anniversary Edition is TIA or Yamaha only, not POKEY. 

Here is a direct link to the post with the latest binaries - there are separate builds for TIA and YM. 

ATTENTION!
I incorrectly entered the addresses for Covox in the manual, the following are correct:
The reserved area for Covox is $0430- $043F, appearance of an address within this range will activate Covox. The channel addresses are:
$0430 - channel 1
$0431 - channel 2
$0432 - channel 3
$0433 - channel 4

Sorry for the confusion :( 

Edited by rj1307