IGNORED

"Dragonfly" my version of the Atari 7800 SD cartridge

rj1307

So I am currently running v1.06 on my Dragonfly and I realized that the "final" version of Bob D's Pac-Man Collection, which previously had YM sound working, now no longer shows the Yamaha Sound message on the title screen and in fact, appears to have no sound at all (which confirms that it is *not* the TIA version).

Oddly, the version that Rafal has included in the \YM2151 folder of the card *does* have YM sound working. 

Is this an .A78 header issue with Bob's file, or is something messed up in my cartridge settings somewhere?

20 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

So I am currently running v1.06 on my Dragonfly and I realized that the "final" version of Bob D's Pac-Man Collection, which previously had YM sound working, now no longer shows the Yamaha Sound message on the title screen and in fact, appears to have no sound at all (which confirms that it is *not* the TIA version).

Oddly, the version that Rafal has included in the \YM2151 folder of the card *does* have YM sound working. 

Is this an .A78 header issue with Bob's file, or is something messed up in my cartridge settings somewhere?

I had to edit the header for MiSTer, but not for Dragonfly since the file included has the yamaha information in the header. I used the 7800header file with 7800 basic and dragged and dropped the file.

Edited by BrianC

8 minutes ago, BrianC said:

I had to edit the header for MiSTer, but not for Dragonfly since the file included has the yamaha information in the header. I used the 7800header file with 7800 basic and dragged and dropped the file.

Well, the thing I'm getting at is that the same binary I have on my card (direct from Bob's thread and copied to a folder I created on my card called \PacManPlus with all my faves from Bob) *did* work with Yamaha sound before I updated my Dragonfly to 1.06. I'm wondering what changed with 1.06 that might have changed the way YM sound was detected/enabled in Bob's binary, and what's different with the binary Rafal provided for the \YM2151 folder.

4 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

Well, the thing I'm getting at is that the same binary I have on my card (direct from Bob's thread and copied to a folder I created on my card called \PacManPlus with all my faves from Bob) *did* work with Yamaha sound before I updated my Dragonfly to 1.06. I'm wondering what changed with 1.06 that might have changed the way YM sound was detected/enabled in Bob's binary, and what's different with the binary Rafal provided for the \YM2151 folder.

You have to enable the IRQ mode for Yamaha starting with 1.06 I believe. Bob's all in one file is what I have on mine and it was working on 1.06 once I made that change.

9 hours ago, rj1307 said:

Software update!

Changes: Addition of the startup logo + the ability to enable / disable it in the Menu. 

After turning on the cartridge power, the graphics with the logo will be loaded automatically and the voltage for powering the console is given. If you start the console, the picture will be displayed until you select and approve the game to load. The graphics are not loaded from the file, they are loaded from the AVR memory.

After updating the software, set the new function in the Menu.

On my consoles, which are tweaked to auto-start, this works very nicely. This resolved the issue with the monitor turning off automatically after five minutes of inactivity :D 

v1.07.zip 18.59 kB · 11 downloads

The startup logo doesn't work on my 7800 it seems. All I get when I try this is a slow scrolling set of purple and green lines along the left 1/4 of the screen or so. But I can choose a game while that is happening and load it up and still play a game. So I'm pretty sure that is the startup logo I'm supposed to be seeing but isn't working proplery.

15 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

The startup logo doesn't work on my 7800 it seems. All I get when I try this is a slow scrolling set of purple and green lines along the left 1/4 of the screen or so. But I can choose a game while that is happening and load it up and still play a game. So I'm pretty sure that is the startup logo I'm supposed to be seeing but isn't working proplery.

That's what I'm experiencing on my system as well. When I turn the 7800 on I can see the logo for a split second but then it turns into what @-^CrossBow^- describes.

- James

54 minutes ago, killersquirel said:

I just got mine and tried it out today. Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest freezes on the menu. Does this happen for other people? What happened to the order thread? 

Rafal is ill right now and taking a break from shipping out more.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

With version 1.06, the correct header (according to its new version) is needed for the YM and Dual Pokey to work. 

6 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

You have to enable the IRQ mode for Yamaha starting with 1.06 I believe. Bob's all in one file is what I have on mine and it was working on 1.06 once I made that change.

This is not true, no one is using the IRQ for YM yet. 

5 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I confirm, this is my mistake. After the fixes it works on PAL consoles and it stopped working on NTSC. I will correct it. 

1 hour ago, rj1307 said:

With version 1.06, the correct header (according to its new version) is needed for the YM and Dual Pokey to work.

Ah, thank you. As it happens, Bob posted a new .a78 last night, and that works properly right off the bat. The new header also no longer shows “Pac-Man XM”  :)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, rj1307 said:

This is not true, no one is using the IRQ for YM yet.

I thought it was mentioned that this was required for the YM to work previously? Unless I've confused that with the Covox stuff I bet? Thanks for correcting me Rafal!

And thank you for looking into the startup logo routine. That certainly wasn't critical and I was only mentioning it so you were aware. Rest up and get better!!!

• Like 1

Interesting. No matter what I do, I just get an olive green background on the screen. If I adjust it more red, then the dragon flys colors are off. I'm really starting to thing that my 7800s MARIA has some small issue with color at this point because I just cannot seem to get mine adjusted anywhere to look like these shots.

Oh welll...

False Alarm! The tint adjustment on my Extron was off kilter. Likely when I messing with Intellivision stuff. Although I still can't quite get Maroon or burgundy and have more of a brown for the background but anything else and the actual games look way too off.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rj1307 said:

These colors look very strange, they should look like the ones @ZeroPage Homebrew showed. 

Had to edit the photo to bring out the red background. My phone camera is terrible with reds, especially on a CRT. Wasn’t worth bringing up Photoshop for a quick snap.