IGNORED

"Dragonfly" my version of the Atari 7800 SD cartridge

rj1307

18 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

This sounds like what the AtariVox+ already does. As far as I know, nobody has yet to make a game that transfers information to a sequel but there's talk of it and completely possible to do with the AtariVox.

- James

Interesting.  I wasn't aware there was the ability to save state to the AtariVox+.  That would solve the problem, for sure.  Guess I'm buying an AtariVox+!

1 hour ago, Rastamafugg said:

Interesting.  I wasn't aware there was the ability to save state to the AtariVox+.  That would solve the problem, for sure.  Guess I'm buying an AtariVox+!

Both the AVox+ and the Savekey device have the ability to save things from a game to them. Most of the time, this is just high scores currently, but I can tell you that at least one game currently in developement will allow you to save your game within 1 of 3 different slots. Each save will remember essentially where you left off in the game between the levels. Assuming you save your game that is. Since the save files for this game are remembering the last level you were on and what has been unlocked etc... I could see the AVox+ or Savekey being used to save at the end of a game, something like character stats or inventory and be able to use that in another game provided everything is coded around doing that.

Similar to how the Quest for Glory series of computer games allowed you to save your character at the end of the came and then carry that character forward into the sequels.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, adamchevy said:

Is their a list anywhere of games that take advantage of the Dragon fly cartridges unique capabilities?

There is only 1 game that uses the Yamaha module. @PacManPlus's Pac-Man 40th Anniversary collection. 

The rest is so far only demos and proof of concepts that make use of the COVOX, Dual Pokey...etc. But naturally all of the official released games work as do all the of the homebrews that have ROM releases.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Recently purchased an NTSC 7800, I have the Dragonfly and it works great on my PAL console, however I am not getting any audio on homebrew games that support Pokey audio or the test audio files on the supplied SD card. The NTSC 7800 has been A/V modded. Commando and Ballblazer work but Pacman in the YM2151 folder plays without audio. When you look at the game info on the Dragonfly it says the YM2151 is off even though it's enabled in system settings. Other files in the 2POKEY folder also play without audio. Has anyone else had this issue? I am using a CRT TV that can take PAL and NTSC signals.

Edited by Hasan Coskun
Forgot to add

It honestly sounds like your DF cart doesn't have a PokeyMAX/POKEY or the YM module installed into it?

I've heard of AV upgraded systems where the TIA audio cannot be heard due to how the audio was done and even corrected a few of them, but never heard of it being the other way around?

So if you are sure you have the Pokey setting turned on to correct Pokey chip you have installed and the YM is enabled on the DF cart settings, then I would verify that you actually have those modules installed in the DF.

Looks like things are getting worse, I've now discovered that I can't play any of the NTSC original games, when I load the game and turn on the console, it goes to the Atari logo then you get a garbled picture, like it's out of sync. I can now play Pac Man XM with audio as I updated the version I had, I can also play Donkey Kong XM. I just don't know what it going on?! I've tried multiple TVs and multiple SD cards.

Original NTSC carts that I have work ok so the console itself is working.

Edited by Hasan Coskun

2 hours ago, Hasan Coskun said:

Just played my Robotron cart and the audio plays perfectly. I'm convinced my Dragonfly has developed a fault.

Maybe not related or helpful but I had to add ferrite cores to the PSU where it meets the console, the power connector that attaches to the Dragonfly cart & to the A/V cable at both ends.

Otherwise with this cart I would get a lot of interference that I didn't have with Concerto cart or official carts. 7800 seems A/V seems very sensitive.

Couldn't say about the voltage but that tells me you are in Europe somewhere? I'm using a Triad PSU that I cut the cable and reversed to give me the proper polarity from Console5 to power my DF cart. Then again my 7800 was upgraded years ago with a 2A output 7805 and then later a DC-DC switcher regulator so it is uses less than 1A fully loaded now anyway.

But yes, the issue where you aren't able to hear any audio from the TIA side with a DF cart is the same issue I've spoke about before. You have to restore the connection from C10 that was likely removed in the other mod, and make sure that both R5 and R6 are in place. My guess is that R6 is present near the audio tuning coil, but R5 was likely removed.

I was and still am offering to repair the audio circuits in a way that will work, but can only offer this in the 48 continental USA. Shipping is crazy expensive to and from outside the main 48 states plus some of my clients from International locations getting hit with VAT on the return shipping. Much easier to find someone closer to do the work and I'm happy to provide assistance for it in that case.

4 hours ago, juansolo said:

If he's in the UK we could look at it. Mainland Europe is now a pain due to Brexit though and shipping has become problematic to and from :(

Nope he has advised me he is in Australia. So I'm not able to help him out because again the shipping would be ridiculous. As I told him in my PM just a bit ago. I recently did a Intellivision RGB upgrade for a client in the Vancouver, BC area. The return shipping when all told ended up costing more than I charged for the entire upgrade. In fact the VAT being asked for alone was more than the base shipping cost I paid?! So yeah... shipping is NOT fun outside of home countries right now.

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

OK, I just though I'd take a stab at YM2151, and here's something from me.

Two music pieces (both made using Deflemask):

- Sexy Six - cover from my own game theme from A8

- Fly Away (lite version) - from Lenny Kravitz' masterpiece (also cover). 

Both in PAL and NTSC (encrypted) versions.

Thanks to @Eagle for his VGM 2151 player.

More to come (I suppose ?).

Enjoy!

Edited by miker
  • Like 2

Strange, I don't hear any audio from any of those files you have linked through JS7800 on my computer? Although I can hear youtube vids and other stuff so I know my audio is working? Guess I will need to dump these onto the DF later and give them a listen and the actual console.

BTW I think @Hasan Coskun's 7800 is fixed up on his audio issues now.

1 hour ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Strange, I don't hear any audio from any of those files you have linked through JS7800 on my computer?

Settings --> Advanced --> Expansion Module (XM): Enabled.

image.thumb.png.3dbdcf8ba4b3ce1dec3a8992f8a9b1ce.png

The Sexy Six reminds me a lot of Crockett's Theme from Jan Hammer for Miami Vice.

Great work, miker!

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Trebor said:

Settings --> Advanced --> Expansion Module (XM): Enabled.

image.thumb.png.3dbdcf8ba4b3ce1dec3a8992f8a9b1ce.png

The Sexy Six reminds me a lot of Crockett's Theme from Jan Hammer for Miami Vice.

Great work, miker!

That was it. It was set to automatic. I changed it to enabled but still had to refresh the window before it would come up. Even then, there was like a 2 second delay of silence and then it starts to play? So must be something with Chrome on my end but no idea what.