Jump to content
rj1307

"Dragonfly" my version of the Atari 7800 SD cartridge

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, rj1307 said:

This is what I introduced the extra delay in the latest firmware for, you can adjust it in the Menu 

Wow, I somehow missed the post with the new firmware. First update since I've had mine. I get an email at every post, but this forum was blowing up for a bit and I think I must have missed it in the mix. In any case, increasing the delay to 200ms seems to have done the trick. Thanks for adding that option!

5 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Can you try something for me on this?

 

Take the DF cart out of the mix. Unplug the power from the back of the console. Put in a game and then plug the power back in. Does it turn on automatically?

 

I did this, it does not turn on automatically.

I have noticed, and maybe this is normal, if I turn off the console, but not the Dragonfly, while PMC XM is running, it will keep playing the same note until I turn off the DF. It still passes through my powered-off 7800. Probably something discussed long before I was here. No big deal, and not a problem, just an observation. I also imagine this wouldn't happen with one relying on RF since that requires power, and is related to the way the mod's audio is routed.

Edited by Hastor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Hastor said:

I have noticed, and maybe this is normal, if I turn off the console, but not the Dragonfly, while PMC XM is running, it will keep playing the same note until I turn off the DF. It still passes through my powered-off 7800. Probably something discussed long before I was here. No big deal, and not a problem, just an observation. I also imagine this wouldn't happen with one relying on RF since that requires power, and is related to the way the mod's audio is routed.

Yeah I had been meaning to tell Rafal about this. It is what we call in the MIDI world as a stuck note or hanging note. What is happening is that the FM module appears to not quite understand that we have killed the system and since the DF is still powered one, the FM module is still getting power and it is still able to pass it through the external audio line and you are still able to hear it even with the 7800 powered off. I'm not sure if there anything that can be done to prevent this because the All Notes Off command is usually what is needed to kill a hung note. But as the 7800 was powered off essentially suddenly, the command isn't able to be sent. Perhaps it requires the DF cart to know when the 7800 has been powered off and perhaps kill power to the extra modules if possible until a new game has been loaded into place.

 

You are correct @Hastor the way the external audio is routed, it doesn't rely on the 7800 power for you to hear it. But honestly, this might also happen even through RF. I can be tested easy enough for those that still have working RF and using a DF cart.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/5/2021 at 8:30 AM, rj1307 said:

The update only affects files that use Dual Pokey, YM and Covox, it has no effect on others. The Pal / Ntsc version header information is only informational and does not affect the operation of the files. If they are actually versions of Pal, you won't run them on Ntsc. 

I attach the PMC file, check if it works. Does Zanac work? 

PMC_XM.A78 128.13 kB · 6 downloads

This PacMan 40th works fine for me.

 

When I enter the 2Pokey directory, I have NTSC and PAL. Both directories ready empty from the Dragonfly, but they contain files when viewing from my PC.

 

EDIT: I also have a Pokey Demo directory. I can access files with the same name from there, and the dual Pokey Demos work. I am just wondering why some of my directories are not displaying. I still have a problem with the Portal demos too. They display in the directory, but I cannot load them.

 

Am I doing something wrong?

 

Thanks,

 

Darryl

Edited by darryl1970

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, darryl1970 said:

This PacMan 40th works fine for me.

 

When I enter the 2Pokey directory, I have NTSC and PAL. Both directories ready empty from the Dragonfly, but they contain files when viewing from my PC.

 

EDIT: I also have a Pokey Demo directory. I can access files with the same name from there, and the dual Pokey Demos work. I am just wondering why some of my directories are not displaying. I still have a problem with the Portal demos too. They display in the directory, but I cannot load them.

 

Am I doing something wrong?

 

Thanks,

 

Darryl

I had the same issue happening with the SDcard I use in my UNO for the 2600. I ended up having to use SD Formatter to clear it all out and recopy my files back down to it. Something had happened to the SD card and Windows thought it was corrupted and wouldn't format it. That was why I had to use SD formatter. So my guess is that something is goofy with the SD card. You might try copying everything off it to back it up and then attempt to format it again as FAT32. If the SD card is too large for Windows to allow it, you will need to find another program to format large capacity SD cards to FAT32.

 

And I'm sure you knew this already, but the DF cart can ONLY read and show files that have the .A78 extension on them.

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I had the same issue happening with the SDcard I use in my UNO for the 2600. I ended up having to use SD Formatter to clear it all out and recopy my files back down to it. Something had happened to the SD card and Windows thought it was corrupted and wouldn't format it. That was why I had to use SD formatter. So my guess is that something is goofy with the SD card. You might try copying everything off it to back it up and then attempt to format it again as FAT32. If the SD card is too large for Windows to allow it, you will need to find another program to format large capacity SD cards to FAT32.

Thanks. Worth a try. I tried repair, but no issues found. I tried Defraggler, even though I know SD don't usually require that.

 

I'll try the BU / Copy

1 minute ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

And I'm sure you knew this already, but the DF cart can ONLY read and show files that have the .A78 extension on them.

Yes. Many of the files were preinstalled. I also added a few from this forum.

 

Of course, I've added a few of my own projects, Playsoft's Convox demos, and updated homebrew, like Galaxian, which are also .a78

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Hastor said:

I have noticed, and maybe this is normal, if I turn off the console, but not the Dragonfly, while PMC XM is running, it will keep playing the same note until I turn off the DF.

This is because Yamaha is not reset and remembers the last command.
From serial number 136, Dragonfly has a revised CPLD program and a Yamaha reset added. I can provide a modified version of the program, but uploading it to Altera requires the ByteBlaster LPT programmer, a computer with a parallel port and Altera Max Plus software.

It is also hardware modifiable, it would require a soldering iron and a piece of thin wire. 

 

49 minutes ago, darryl1970 said:

When I enter the 2Pokey directory, I have NTSC and PAL. Both directories ready empty from the Dragonfly, but they contain files when viewing from my PC.

In the attachment I am sending files for the SD card, maybe it will help. 

SD_cart.zip

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rj1307 said:

This is because Yamaha is not reset and remembers the last command.
From serial number 136, Dragonfly has a revised CPLD program and a Yamaha reset added. I can provide a modified version of the program, but uploading it to Altera requires the ByteBlaster LPT programmer, a computer with a parallel port and Altera Max Plus software.

It is also hardware modifiable, it would require a soldering iron and a piece of thin wire. 

 

In the attachment I am sending files for the SD card, maybe it will help. 

SD_cart.zip 14.31 MB · 0 downloads

Oh I'm up for a hardware modification. Can you provide more indepth details on this? I knew from the first time it happened what was going on but didn't know if there was a way you could prevent it? Again, we are used to this in the Midi world and especially in the 90s when using sound modules through Soundblaster cards and their 15pin gameport Midi cables LOL!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rj1307 said:

From serial number 136, Dragonfly has a revised CPLD program and a Yamaha reset added. I can provide a modified version of the program, but uploading it to Altera requires the ByteBlaster LPT programmer, a computer with a parallel port and Altera Max Plus software.

No chance to use any of the ByteBlaster USB products?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Oh I'm up for a hardware modification. Can you provide more indepth details on this?

As soon as I test it for myself, I'll make a modification instruction. 

 

2 minutes ago, MrZarniwoop said:

No chance to use any of the ByteBlaster USB products?

Not at the moment. Altera Max Plus does not support the USB programmer, and so far I have not found a way to convert to Altera Quartus (Quartus claims that the EPM7128 chip used has not enough resources!).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rj1307 said:

This is because Yamaha is not reset and remembers the last command.
From serial number 136, Dragonfly has a revised CPLD program and a Yamaha reset added. I can provide a modified version of the program, but uploading it to Altera requires the ByteBlaster LPT programmer, a computer with a parallel port and Altera Max Plus software.

It is also hardware modifiable, it would require a soldering iron and a piece of thin wire. 

Aside from an occasional tone when powering off the system, is there any issue with leaving it as-is? Any risk to parts? I wouldn't think so but worth being sure. Does the revised CPLD program do anything else worth noting?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@rj1307 -- Thanks for the files.

 

Just for the record, I formatted my SD card via Windows.

After replacing the files, I could access even less files.

 

I used SD Formatter, as @-^CrossBow^- suggested, which truly fixed the issue. It's funny that Windows still can't match it for formatting SD cards after all these years.

I replaced the files, and I can now access everything.

 

I still have a little quirkiness when switching games. I can switch games a couple times. I haven't pinpointed what the trigger is (number of times I change games or particular games), but it doesn't power off after I switch games a couple times. It's good the first couple, and then it doesn't power off my system.

 

Thanks again,

-- Darryl

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dragonfly works in both my machines just dandy. One with a standard 7805 that is UAV modded and the other with a Traco DC-DC with stock RF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't say that I've tried to switch games more than a few times between power cycling. Maybe I'll test a bit more tonight. I did accidentally leave the cart (but not system) on all night once and at least that didn't seem to do any harm. The screen powering off after a delay can make turning off the cart easy to forget... been turning off my consoles and walking away all my life.

 

@rj1307 I'm not sure if it is possible for the cart to detect when the system isn't drawing power, but if it is, I'd recommend not turning off the screen unless the system is on, and have it on any time the system is off, period, so it isn't easy to accidentally leave the cart on when you're done.
Otherwise some kind of notice that the cart is still on... I'm not sure how that would work. If there's already a feature I'm missing like last time, let me know! Ultimately I just need to remember there's an extra step when turning off my game and walking away now, but any assistance to my shoddy memory would be helpful!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Dragonfly arrived the other day.  It works fantasticly on one of my 7800s.  However, on my A/V modded 7800, I get no audio on most of the original and non-Pokey games.  The problem isn't with the audio-mod itself because the system plays original carts just fine.  It will not play audio on the same "normal" .a78 files, though, when run via the Dragonfly.  Pokey and YM audio plays fine though.  For example, I can hear the music on Commando but not the sound fx.  It's kind of strange.  This 7800 is not compatible with my Cuttle Cart either (it won't run the cartridge at all), so the problem is obviously something specific to this machine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, SS said:

My Dragonfly arrived the other day.  It works fantasticly on one of my 7800s.  However, on my A/V modded 7800, I get no audio on most of the original and non-Pokey games.  The problem isn't with the audio-mod itself because the system plays original carts just fine.  It will not play audio on the same "normal" .a78 files, though, when run via the Dragonfly.  Pokey and YM audio plays fine though.  For example, I can hear the music on Commando but not the sound fx.  It's kind of strange.  This 7800 is not compatible with my Cuttle Cart either (it won't run the cartridge at all), so the problem is obviously something specific to this machine. 

This has been discussed quite a bit. The audio on the AV modded one has to be done in a different way. needs to be done in a manner similar to what I do with UAV upgrades that I do. I've corrected this on 3 other AA members 7800s now.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

This has been discussed quite a bit. The audio on the AV modded one has to be done in a different way. needs to be done in a manner similar to what I do with UAV upgrades that I do.

Can you point me to a link where this is discussed please?  This 7800 modification was not done by me, it came to me this way.  I have not actually opened it up yet to see what's going on inside but I guess that I need to do that soon.  I am hoping to be able to fix the issue if I can.  I am also thinking of dropping a UAV into it in order to get a clearer video signal as well.  Thanks.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is discussed in this very thread a page or so back.

 

Basically you need to redo the audio portion in the way specified in the UAV install guide. Basically need to undo how the audio has been done currently in it, and then add the 6k8 resistor that was removed from R5. I also put the ceramic cap at C10 back into place, but Rafal states you only need to jumper it as he is filtering for that already through the DF cart.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Hastor said:

@rj1307 I'm not sure if it is possible for the cart to detect when the system isn't drawing power, but if it is, I'd recommend not turning off the screen unless the system is on, and have it on any time the system is off, period, so it isn't easy to accidentally leave the cart on when you're done.

Do you want the LCD to light up when the console is turned off? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rj1307 said:

Do you want the LCD to light up when the console is turned off? 

I think he is requesting that the LCD screen lights up and stays lit after the console is powered off as an indication that the DF cart is still powered on.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rj1307 said:

It can be done ;) 
 

Awesome, that is what I meant, since I left it on all night accidentally the other day! Thanks so much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Software update!
Changes: The backlight of the LCD will turn on automatically when the console is turned off. 

 

Hardware update!

The modification will reset Yamaha when changing the game.
It cannot be used for serial numbers from 136 upwards and for serial number 112! 

 

Connect any of the points marked with the red arrow

IMGP8814.thumb.jpg.8b527f6f132633c18a84513dfd8bc361.jpg

 

piece of wire, with a point on the YM board. 

IMGP8822.thumb.jpg.2742e85c690f63239bba92753a274682.jpg

 

 

 

IMGP8826.thumb.jpg.0696b8158d97ea210427ce655b1920ca.jpg

 

IMGP8825.thumb.jpg.de166d23d83f4987c6da4aa35b29a03b.jpg

 

 

v1.06a.zip

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, rj1307 said:

Software update!
Changes: The backlight of the LCD will turn on automatically when the console is turned off. 

 

Hardware update!

The modification will reset Yamaha when changing the game.
It cannot be used for serial numbers from 136 upwards and for serial number 112! 

After doing the modification just now and talking with Rafal about it. He asked me to clarify this in this thread so here it is:

 

This will only correct the stuck note issue that can occur when changing games from within the Df cart itself. Not if you power off the console manually using the power button on the 7800.

 

So as an example, you are playing PacMan 40th with Yamaha, and you choose a different game from the DF menu, press the enter key to start loading. The DF shuts off the 7800 and usually a stuck sound would be present on the system until you physically powered off the DF cart or started a different game that uses the YM module that would reset it.

 

But the stuck note can still happen if you manually power off the console with a YM demo or game in operation even with this fix in place.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Software update!

Changes: Addition of the startup logo + the ability to enable / disable it in the Menu. 

 

After turning on the cartridge power, the graphics with the logo will be loaded automatically and the voltage for powering the console is given. If you start the console, the picture will be displayed until you select and approve the game to load. The graphics are not loaded from the file, they are loaded from the AVR memory.

 

After updating the software, set the new function in the Menu.

 

On my consoles, which are tweaked to auto-start, this works very nicely. This resolved the issue with the monitor turning off automatically after five minutes of inactivity :D 

 

 

v1.07.zip

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...