IGNORED

"Dragonfly" my version of the Atari 7800 SD cartridge

rj1307

57 minutes ago, rj1307 said:

Please, a little more patience, there was a small problem with the USB but I have already located it, fortunately all you need to do is change the value of a few resistors.
By the end of the week I will have a few ready and tested ones, and in a few days I am waiting for the delivery of PCBs and start assembly.
For two weeks my 3D printer has been working 12 hours a day doing casing.

:thumbsup: - looking forward to it!

• Like 1

On 12/2/2020 at 11:36 AM, darryl1970 said:

I obviously didn't think you got this knowledgeable overnight, but I didn't realize you were an expert 37 years ago. That's pretty cool to see that date in 1983!  Good times....

Ah... 

You should also know I didn't write the article.   ?

But I did read it in 1983 in Compute! and it greatly informed my knowledge and experimentation with POKEY registers.  Prior to that I had no idea you could even get bass frequencies at $Ax distortion.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The SD card will contain the @Trebor package, some files have been corrected by me.

In the meantime, the user manual is being created, for those interested, I provide the menu structure and developer mode. Later, everything will be integrated and shared with the software.

There will be two color versions of the casing (they are actually darker):

IMGP8737_01.thumb.jpg.4bbbdbc9d73819a527d5a8245d0e4229.jpg  IMGP8729.thumb.jpg.0d070ea42d279b4e48ea2a030cfb8f51.jpg

Menu.pdf Developer_Mode.pdf

• Like 12
  • Thanks 6

Fantastic work on this cart RJ! ? ? How lucky I was getting interested in Atari 7800 development just before the release of the Dragonfly! I have one question: I suppose the PokeyMax also supports simulating a single Pokey? I'm just thinking that perhaps single pokey would have the highest compatibility (with earlier carts and stuff), although I must say dual pokey and YM sounds pretty freakin' exciting! :love: Hopefully the Dragonfly will sell a lot so potential games and demos supporting those would reach out to a "maximum audience".

Edited by Turbo Laser Lynx
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Turbo Laser Lynx said:

Fantastic work on this cart RJ! ? ? How lucky I was getting interested in Atari 7800 development just before the release of the Dragonfly! I have one question: I suppose the PokeyMax also supports simulating a single Pokey? I'm just thinking that perhaps single pokey would have the highest compatibility (with earlier carts and stuff), although I must say dual pokey and YM sounds pretty freakin' exciting! :love: Hopefully the Dragonfly will sell a lot so potential games and demos supporting those would reach out to a "maximum audience".

I have the PokeyMax in mine and that works fine on stuff like Commando (single Pokey).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Of course it works well as a single pokey, this is its main quest.
You could buy a Pokey Max from a distributor (Duddie "Retronics"), insert it into a Dragonfly or Commando original, and have it run as a single Pokey, but it wouldn't work as a Dual Pokey.
The Pokey Max that I have on offer I buy from Duddie and change the software to one that allows you to activate Dual Pokey and Covox. So we have these functions "for free".  :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Because I was fortunate enough to get a Concerto I'll probably hold back on grabbing one of these until everyone else has had a chance to get one (and fill my coffers back up), but did have one question:

What would be the suggested power cable for a UK user, I'm not too technical but noticed it shares the same port as a mega drive 2 / 32x, would those power cables work or should I be looking for a different cable? 

But other than that, congrats on the release of the dragonfly! It looks super cool, I'll grab one when I can. 

29 minutes ago, Tempest said:

I'm sorry if this has already been answered elsewhere, I've been gone for awhile.  How does this compare feature-wise to the Concerto?  I'm trying to see which cartridge better suits my needs.

Dragonfly can do Yamaha and Dual Pokey, Concerto cannot. Concerto has on TV menu and also supports 2600 binaries, dragonfly does not. Dragonfly can only do 7800 binaries and has it's own on cart lcd screen instead. Different bankswitching methods are supported on each but all the ones that matter are supported on both. Dragonfly has a pass though power cable, Concerto doesn't need such a thing. The Dragonfly is literally what the XM wanted to be except it takes SD cards instead of cartridges. Concerto is the Harmony cart for the 7800. Dragonfly is more expensive if you get the Yamaha and Dual Pokey. Both are great, the Dragonfly has features that would "future proof" if folks get right into the Yamaha sound inclusion but I doubt many will if the Dragonfly remains the only way to enjoy such a thing. Same goes for Dual Pokey, IIRC, but I have no idea if it's possible to use a PokeyMAX with dual pokey software on a Concerto or not. Single Pokey on the Concerto from the understand I have about it. Hope this block of text helps get your caught up. :)

• Like 7