IGNORED

Intellivision Homebrew Reviews?

abeckett

I’m looking to buy a few Homebrew titles for my Intellivision but would love to get some recommendations on which ones I should get first.

Is there a site that gives an overview or a top 5 must have Homebrews? Would love some advice to get me started.

Anthony

Here are some links to get you started:

http://www.gooddealgames.com/inventory/Intellivision.html

http://www.intvfunhouse.com/independent/

http://intellivisionrevolution.com/released-homebrew-games

Relative to which ones to get first, there is no consistent rating system AFAIK.

But I'm sure folks here can provide their recommendations.

Availability is a big factor... some homebrews are like unobtanium.

You can search for GOTY threads to get a sense for which titles to look at.

Edited by cmadruga
  • Like 1

In addition to the great suggestions by cmadruga, especial the GOTY threads to get a sense of their popularity, this thread shows a list of the nearly 100 homebrew releases

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/241391-soulbusters-non-variant-list-of-homebrew-games-released/

Most will have their own threads here that you can search for, and many will have youtube videos of gameplay or reviews, too.

My two cents for games I have

LTO ROMs (until the carts are available)

Wizard of Wor 

TNT Cowboy

Non LTO ROMs (inexpensive to free)

D1K Arcade

D2K Arcade

Ms. Pac-Man 

Space Patrol

Cart Games (that I think you can still order)

Maria

Steam Roller

ROM Updates to classics you can buy now

Battlestar Galactica Space Battle

Shark Shark 2

Coming Soon (order now)

A Tale of Dragons and Swords

also enjoying Jawcrusher and Aardvark

There are so many others but these are just the ones I have that I think you can still get.    

Also some of the new games coming look crazy good.  

• Like 1

I think we should start splitting the existing 97 games released in physical format (as of August 16, 2020) in macrogroups, like: 1. Originals Post 2000 AD (f.i. Maria, Old School, Ninja Odissey, Piggy Bank, the 2nd Sydney Hunter, Same Game & Robots, etc), 2. Hacks (f.i. Mystic Castle, Shark! Shark! 2, etc), 3. Unreleased Pre 2000 AD (f.i. Robot Rubble, Brickout, King of the Mountain, etc) and 4. Conversions of Classics (f.i. Missile Domination, Space Raid, Smurf, Minehunter, Ms. Pac-Man, Meteors, etc). We could do the same for the games released in ROM format only.

After these preliminary operations, we could start making our own lists of favourites.

Don't tell me I'm making it too complicated. Life is complicated

• Haha 3

Before I got replies, I took a punt on the following two ready for sale ones.

Oregon Bound

Secret Government Waffle Project

i have already backed a Tale of Dragons and Swords and am desperately waiting for Defender of the Crown.

Anthony

• Like 1

1 hour ago, intellivotion said:

I think we should start splitting the existing 97 games released in physical format (as of August 16, 2020) in macrogroups, like: 1. Originals Post 2000 AD (f.i. Maria, Old School, Ninja Odissey, Piggy Bank, the 2nd Sydney Hunter, Same Game & Robots, etc), 2. Hacks (f.i. Mystic Castle, Shark! Shark! 2, etc), 3. Unreleased Pre 2000 AD (f.i. Robot Rubble, Brickout, King of the Mountain, etc) and 4. Conversions of Classics (f.i. Missile Domination, Space Raid, Smurf, Minehunter, Ms. Pac-Man, Meteors, etc). We could do the same for the games released in ROM format only.

After these preliminary operations, we could start making our own lists of favourites.

Don't tell me I'm making it too complicated. Life is complicated

I only have two macrogroups:

Group 1= the ones I own

Group 2= the ones I don't own

It makes life less complicated :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, abeckett said:

Before I got replies, I took a punt on the following two ready for sale ones.

Oregon Bound

Secret Government Waffle Project

i have already backed a Tale of Dragons and Swords and am desperately waiting for Defender of the Crown.

Anthony

Oregon Bound was just released for free recently.

15 hours ago, abeckett said:

I’m looking to buy a few Homebrew titles for my Intellivision but would love to get some recommendations on which ones I should get first.

Is there a site that gives an overview or a top 5 must have Homebrews? Would love some advice to get me started.

Anthony

Some folks have suggested some solid games, but be sure to get Christmas Carol as one of them! I believe it is still free and it is one of the best homebrew games around.

http://www.techunlimited.net/xmas_carol/story.xhtml

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, popsicle said:

Stonix is one that I play frequently. I think it's one of the best games on the Intellivision, period.

Totally agree. Love that game. There are tons of awesome homebrews. It's a great time to be an Intellivision owner!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ts-x said:

The Video Game Critic has reviewed a number of homebrew games here, including a recent very positive review of Battlestar Galactica Space Battle (sorting by year will bring the homebrew games to the top of the list).

I'm glad they enjoyed SameGame & Robots.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IntyFanMatt said:

Some folks have suggested some solid games, but be sure to get Christmas Carol as one of them! I believe it is still free and it is one of the best homebrew games around.

http://www.techunlimited.net/xmas_carol/story.xhtml

Wow, that's an ancient page.  The ROM there was the original "demo" created back in 2010 with a single screen.  You may want to get the full released version here:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, DZ-Jay said:

Wow, that's an ancient page.  The ROM there was the original "demo" created back in 2010 with a single screen.  You may want to get the full released version here:

Thank you for sharing that and correcting it for me! I looked it up and grabbed the first page that seemed to be the right one. Guess it wasn’t! LOL. 

*  Definitely grab all the free ROMs you can.

*  LTO Flash: Temporarily out of stock, but watch the topic for it and be ready to buy one once they're available.  It's a must have and well worth the $$$.

* There are plenty of great homebrews that are now out of print.  Many of these have increased in price in the 2ndary market.  Watch for upcoming releases and grab them while they're available and affordable....particularly ones from Intellivision Revolution and Elektronite.  There are plenty of great games currently being worked on.  Sign up for mailing lists and frequent the forum.  It pays to be in the know ?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I've tons of Intellivision game videos on my channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5HtS9lDA4nzEbx--3jQpw

I've currently three games for sale at my digital store:

https://nanochess.org/store.html

A list of the games I've worked on (incomplete):

https://nanochess.org/retro.html

Also I've released some games after physical copies were sold out:

Princess Quest:

Space Raid (search for the ROM file in the source tree):

Also some games have been released by Intellivision Revolution freely:

Freewheeling games:

I really need to collect at least my games in a single list :)

Edited by nanochess
  • Like 7

I think this thread is reinforcing the opportunity that exists for homebrew consumers and publishers to have a comprehensive, central reference (one stop shop) for:

- what's been released, and reception to it (reviews / awards)

- what's available today (cartridge or rom / prices / where to get it)   

- what's upcoming (known information / timing)

I would think that all publishers and consumers would benefit from this information in a easy to find format.

Publishers could support the site by making evaluation copies available.

Web site administrators could interview publishers and programmers to get the latest scoop.

Web site could also support publicity of GOTY awards.

Maybe an existing web site could pick all that up (as an area of renewed focus), or maybe an entirely new site would be better.

Edited by cmadruga
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, cmadruga said:

I think this thread is reinforcing the opportunity that exists for homebrew consumers and publishers to have a comprehensive, central reference (one stop shop) for:

- what's been released, and reception to it (reviews / awards)

- what's available today (cartridge or rom / prices / where to get it)   

- what's upcoming (known information / timing)

I would think that all publishers and consumers would benefit from this information in a easy to find format.

Publishers could support the site by making evaluation copies available.

Web site administrators could interview publishers and programmers to get the latest scoop.

Web site could also support publicity of GOTY awards.

Maybe an existing web site could pick all that up (as an area of renewed focus), or maybe an entirely new site would be better.

I feel like Rev had some of this info on his website at one point but then got so caught up in the Brony scene that he hasn't kept it up. Seriously though, a single resource would be useful 

• Like 1