IGNORED

Stephen A Mitchell - Interview Questions Needed - Created Highlander on the Jag CD

Adriano Arcade

Ask him if he's aware of the rumors these complete games are in the possession of ex Atari alumni. 

Ask him if he still has a Jag or development equipment.

Does he keep in contact with any of the Lore design guys.

What was it like dealing with Atari? Did Atari bring them to the states to work on Highlander?

Is he in possession of any alphas/betas we don't know about.

• Like 5

After finally watching the first episode of Highlander the animated series, it seems the game we got was based off the one episode. We know there was part two and three coming, were those games based off one episode as well or were they going to try to wrap up the series?

The game gets a lot of criticism for the three dimensional/polygon models of the characters as well as other aspects. Was the game finished as is, or was this a game that was rushed out to production?

Thank you.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tripled79 said:

After finally watching the first episode of Highlander the animated series, it seems the game we got was based off the one episode. We know there was part two and three coming, were those games based off one episode as well or were they going to try to wrap up the series?

The game gets a lot of criticism for the three dimensional/polygon models of the characters as well as other aspects. Was the game finished as is, or was this a game that was rushed out to production?

Thank you.

Atari had purchased th ed rights to the cartoon, it was already produced and aired by this point, nothing new, other than the open world game 2 and 3 would of been more of the same, for the time period the grafix were on the upper end of games at this time, looks similar to alone in the dark, with animated cut scenes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JagChris said:

Somehow somewhere Atari Owl got to look at the sources. He seemed to indicate he believed they made a lot of really dumb coding decisions. And stated there was no real reason for the engine to perform so poorly.

With all due respect... One of those two groups managed to complete a project, and didn't spend years optimising and fine tuning a non-release.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Pete5125 said:

Atari had purchased th ed rights to the cartoon, it was already produced and aired by this point, nothing new, other than the open world game 2 and 3 would of been more of the same, for the time period the grafix were on the upper end of games at this time, looks similar to alone in the dark, with animated cut scenes.

Wasnt the third part going to be a one on one fighting game?

• Like 1

I'd ask him if he was surprised in the continued and unquenchable interest in a console that was a commercial disaster a quarter of a century ago, and if he gets asked any questions about other projects he worked on at that time for other, more commercially successful, platforms. I love these interviews, but I'm always curious what the hell people think when asked about work on the Jaguar. I can just hear them say "the JAGUAR? I worked on ... for the PSX! And that sold five hundred thousand copies!!! And you seriously don't want to know about that?!". I so love this system. :D

• Like 2

9 hours ago, sd32 said:

Wasnt the third part going to be a one on one fighting game?

That was the original concept for the first game. 

Steve Mitchell stated you simply couldn't do justice to the world of Highlander with a one-on one fighting game, so the original concept was abandoned. 

Edited by Lost Dragon

On 8/16/2020 at 9:11 PM, JagChris said:

Ask him if he's aware of the rumors these complete games are in the possession of ex Atari alumni. 

That's something we could do with having cleared up. 

Over the years there has been enough nudge nudge, wink wink I know someone who's in possession of these..elitist crap talk popping up, it'd be nice to get a response from someone with some credibility on the matter. 

15 hours ago, JagChris said:

Somehow somewhere Atari Owl got to look at the sources. He seemed to indicate he believed they made a lot of really dumb coding decisions. And stated there was no real reason for the engine to perform so poorly.

There's dumb coding decisions and then there is coding  under commercial development conditions for an ill-conceived add-on for a platform that was already failing at retail. 

Why would a development team waste valuable time and resources improving code for a release they knew was going to bomb sales wise and for a company like Atari who were more than happy to throw any old shit out, just to have product available? 

We are talking a company who bundled the Jag CD with Blue Lighting after all. 

Maybe we should ask him if Lore Design thought working with Atari after they failed to handle the Lynx properly, was in hindsight a dumb decision?. 

Edited by Lost Dragon

Would you mind asking him if he paid any heed to the press at the time? 

Previews and then Reviews seemed to make a lot over the high resolution, high colour backdrops, motion capture used, animated intro, use of Z-buffering etc, but tore the gameplay apart. 

Also, why annouce the game as the first in a trilogy, especially when it was obvious the Jaguar wasn't going to be a commercially viable platform. 

It's been claimed this was due to the fact the development process had thrown up so many ideas, they couldn't fit them all into one release. 

Clarification on this point would be most welcome. 

Edited by Lost Dragon
  • Like 1

Ask him did he still have open soruce files from Higlander 1 and is there any files of Higlander 2 and 3, or work on those sequels were never started.

I am big fan of Highlander and i planed to make sequel beased on Highlander 2 desing documentation, but... Make code and models for Higlander is very easy task, but make nice prerendered 2d backgrounds is a lot of work. If there some finished backgrounds for Highlander 2, I would be willing to do some demo for PC (Win and DOS). Unfortunately, I have no any experience with Jag developement.

9 hours ago, Lost Dragon said:

There's dumb coding decisions and then there is coding  under commercial development conditions for an ill-conceived add-on for a platform that was already failing at retail. 

Why would a development team waste valuable time and resources improving code for a release they knew was going to bomb sales wise and for a company like Atari who were more than happy to throw any old shit out, just to have product available? 

We are talking a company who bundled the Jag CD with Blue Lighting after all. 

Maybe we should ask him if Lore Design thought working with Atari after they failed to handle the Lynx properly, was in hindsight a dumb decision?. 

Probably. The one poster asked about the criticism it received and I was just throwing out what was said. 

46 minutes ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Because the rights probably only extended to the game itself, and not extra artwork that could be used to promote the game. I'm sure it was cheaper to create a likeness than it would have been to pay extra $$$ to create unique drawings of copyrighted characters.

Maybe, but the game uses footage from the cartoon in cutscenes.

• Like 2