IGNORED

All 2600 Games That Were Released On The NES Side By Side Comparison

retrocomparisons

That is an awesome video! There were many more titles common to both systems than I had realised. 

I would say that the 2600 holds its own in California Games, Galaxian, Kung-Fu Master, and Space Invaders.  

Others (e.g. Rampage, Pac-Man, Donkey Kong) are just pathetic looking in comparison.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very interesting comparison! Thanks for putting this together and thanks for also including Famicom games here as well. As the Famicom was out in 1983, it got a few more early arcade ports than the NES did. I would say that quite a few games here like Defender 2, Gyruss, Ms. Pac-Man, Popeye, and Track & Field compare quite nicely to their NES counterparts in terms of gameplay. And a couple even over shadow their NES/Famicom big brothers like Galaxian and Space Invaders. I still stand by that Space Invaders on 2600 is one of the best ports of that game ever made. However, the rest of the games are definitely better on NES. This is especially true for Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., Double Dragon, Klax, Kung Fu, Mario Bros., Pac-Man, and Tengen Ms. Pac-Man. Nothing can beat Tengen Ms. Pac-Man IMO.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, jeremiahjt said:

You should have had 2600 Double Dragon showing cooperative play.  Missed opportunity.  A couple of questions: where is the 1993 Mario Bros. from and aren't the two NES versions of Pac-Man the exact same?

Thanks for checking this out!  The 93 Mario Bros is from the "Classic Series" release.  The 2 Pac-Man games are the exact same but since they're different publishers I figured I should include both to leave no stones unturned.

11 hours ago, jhd said:

That is an awesome video! There were many more titles common to both systems than I had realised. 

I would say that the 2600 holds its own in California Games, Galaxian, Kung-Fu Master, and Space Invaders.  

Others (e.g. Rampage, Pac-Man, Donkey Kong) are just pathetic looking in comparison.

Thanks for checking out!  I worked on other videos like this and it wasn't until I was doing stuff on the NES when I realized how many crossovers there were between these 2 systems, and since I couldn't find a video on it I figured I make one.  I couldn't agree more with the games you mentioned.  I have to admit that as a kid I thought Pac-Man was great, but when I got a little older and realized that the 2600 version is not how it's supposed to look and I could never go back to it.

2 hours ago, Jaden (JRH) said:

Very interesting comparison! Thanks for putting this together and thanks for also including Famicom games here as well. As the Famicom was out in 1983, it got a few more early arcade ports than the NES did. I would say that quite a few games here like Defender 2, Gyruss, Ms. Pac-Man, Popeye, and Track & Field compare quite nicely to their NES counterparts in terms of gameplay. And a couple even over shadow their NES/Famicom big brothers like Galaxian and Space Invaders. I still stand by that Space Invaders on 2600 is one of the best ports of that game ever made. However, the rest of the games are definitely better on NES. This is especially true for Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., Double Dragon, Klax, Kung Fu, Mario Bros., Pac-Man, and Tengen Ms. Pac-Man. Nothing can beat Tengen Ms. Pac-Man IMO.

Thanks for watching!  I'm with you on Space Invaders, I have consistently played that version since I was a little kid and there's a certain charm to it that can't be beat.  I had never played the Famicom version until doing this video and I was very disappointed.  Double Dragon on the 2600 is an embarrassment, but for the most part the games are respectable for such inferior hardware.  It still blows my mind that there's games from the 90s like Klax and Ghostbusters 2.

2 minutes ago, doug0909 said:

I know (and love) the classic series port of Mario Bros., and the lame original version. But what the heck is the "1990" version in the middle?

Thanks for watching!  That's not really it's own game but rather a mini game within Super Mario Bros 3.  I was on the fence about including it but I figured I probably should just in case.

• Like 1