IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 13 - Game 6 - Worm Whomper / Utopia Bonus

Got Worm Whomper working with 'jzintv' on my laptop.  Don't have the cart or an LTO Flash (yet).

Loved Utopia back in the day, but always only focused on beating my opponent, never optimizing my score.

First try.  Now to ready my old rule book for some tips... ;)  I have my original gatefold Utopia that is beat to hell, a sealed gatefold, a sealed top loader, the Flashback (which is what I'm playing on), and the ROM for the LTO some day!

Screen Shot 2020-08-17 at 6.25.39 PM.png

Edited by gar0u
Remove full screenshot of my island!
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, BiffMan said:

2613 - 30t/45s

I do so loves me some old fashioned Utopia min/max! ?

20200817_185843.jpg

That's a SWEET score. I didn't even break 2k on my 1st attempt..... Ooooh and somebody used the left island.... Interesting Hmmmmm ?

Edited by Rickster8
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rickster8 said:

That's a SWEET score. I didn't even break 2k on my 1st attempt..... Ooooh and somebody used the left island.... Interesting Hmmmmm ?

I don't find an advantage in one over the other, I just have jzintv coded to left controller for my Flashback and it's too much hassle to change it around ?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BiffMan said:

I don't find an advantage in one over the other, I just have jzintv coded to left controller for my Flashback and it's too much hassle to change it around ?

I always thought the game was skewed to the right island. But when you employ the “kill the population” strategy, I guess it doesn’t matter right?  All depends on the weather though. 

Edited by IntyFanMatt

8 minutes ago, gar0u said:

I always felt the left island got less hammered by the hurricanes. 

Perhaps overall less hit, but when they do, they make up for infrequency with severity and usually plow straight south through the bulk of the left island. 

Speaking of hurricanes, the tension and drama of a hurricane that sits half off the bottom of the screen is just epic, especially in a 2 player game. Hats off to the developer and the 'nudge' code creating such awesome weather outcomes. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BiffMan said:

Perhaps overall less hit, but when they do, they make up for infrequency with severity and usually plow straight south through the bulk of the left island. 

Speaking of hurricanes, the tension and drama of a hurricane that sits half off the bottom of the screen is just epic, especially in a 2 player game. Hats off to the developer and the 'nudge' code creating such awesome weather outcomes. 

For me, I always seem to get crushed with hurricanes on the left island. Been messing with the right island all night but not having too much luck there either. 

When I got out my original Utopia box to read the manual for clues, I saw this guy.

IMG_4984.thumb.jpg.d14ce6844ad52d5fb72cf466efc006fa.jpg

Always reminded me of "Michael Coldsmith-Briggs, III (Archangel)" from Airwolf.

01AlexCord.jpg.72ac6296f93348263726c900962a8f76.jpg

Coincidence?  Easter egg?  Utopia/Airwolf cross-over?  :)  What are those rebels doing on that island?

By the way, did anyone else ever string together multiple video games to tell your own story?  Play a game of Space Battle, then when the invaders reached your base, jump into Space Armada or Star Strike for that last ditch effort to defend the planet?  If so, what games did you connect?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3