IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 13 - Game 6 - Worm Whomper / Utopia Bonus

8 minutes ago, gar0u said:

By the way, did anyone else ever string together multiple video games to tell your own story?  Play a game of Space Battle, then when the invaders reached your base, jump into Space Armada or Star Strike for that last ditch effort to defend the planet?  If so, what games did you connect?

Can't remember if I did that, but as a little kid, I would have loved doing that!

Something tells me Biffman and Mr. Me have a b-line strat on Utopia :) I don’t even know if those are good scores LOL ... I’ll be happy to get just a couple Bonus points. I played this a lot .. but usually with a neighbour who never played Intellivision. So I spent my time chasing his fishing boat with my PT boat. That was the best part of the game LOL ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, INTELLIVISION SPARTAN said:

Something tells me Biffman and Mr. Me have a b-line strat on Utopia :) I don’t even know if those are good scores LOL ... I’ll be happy to get just a couple Bonus points. I played this a lot .. but usually with a neighbour who never played Intellivision. So I spent my time chasing his fishing boat with my PT boat. That was the best part of the game LOL ? 

Yeah, those are good scores, and they both know how to play so that the population doesn't increase much and they reach max scores per round (100).  I know it too, but still trying to figure out the best steps to take to get there.  It's no secret, you can read about it here at AtariAge.

Edited by IntyFanMatt
  • Like 1

Cool thanks !! I didn’t know 100 was a max in a round! I’ll try to read up on scoring secrets.

I remember hearing a guy on a retro podcast a few years ago, laughing about the scoring.... here’s what he said: “HAHAHA you build a bunch of HAHAHA ... and your score HAHAHA will be the highest HAHAHAHAHA.”

He was laughing so much, I couldn’t hear what the trick was LOL ? 

For sure it was something funny. He couldn’t stop laughing. :) 

Just now, INTELLIVISION SPARTAN said:

Cool thanks !! I didn’t know 100 was a max in a round! I’ll try to read up on scoring secrets.

I remember hearing a guy on a retro podcast a few years ago, laughing about the scoring.... here’s what he said: “HAHAHA you build a bunch of HAHAHA ... and your score HAHAHA will be the highest HAHAHAHAHA.”

He was laughing so much, I couldn’t hear what the trick was LOL ? 

For sure it was something funny. He couldn’t stop laughing. :) 

Yeah, if you can keep the population down, it will help. So he was probably joking about killing people off on the island, or something LOL.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, INTELLIVISION SPARTAN said:

Jacob, do I get two patches? LOL ?  I forgot how slowly the score goes up in this game ! It's been a looooooong time ?

I thought the score was gonna jump a lot- the manual says that each surviving corn plant earns 50 x the wave number at the end of the wave. I've only had a couple of goes, but I figure this would lead to some crazy high scores. Of course, with a score like that, maybe it's not fast enough, haha. Nice job!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The utopia referee was liking my island near the end. I was given 96 points per round on the last few rounds, But no idea why it took so long. I’ll try different variations of purchases to see what the invisible Utopia referee gives me. :) 

Which is the button to buy a strip club? That will get tons of points, I’m sure!!! :) 

• Haha 2

Third try.

Funny thing, last five rounds or so, I ran out of space on my island and money was irrelevant.

As governor, I spent my time in retirement fishing.  LOL

Not quite sure how to squeeze the last few points out of each round.  I'm getting between 92-96 points per round.  I can only think of a couple different things to try to wring the last couple points out of each round, or maximize my points earlier in the game.

Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 1.43.13 PM.png

Just tried again and got 2478.  Watching the scores come in, I know I left 50 points on the table, so 2528 should be attainable.  Used just half the island's real estate this time!  Still only getting 96 points/round.  Not sure where the other 4 points are, but I'm going to try and find them.  ;)

Edited by gar0u
Add new score
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, gar0u said:

Third try.

Funny thing, last five rounds or so, I ran out of space on my island and money was irrelevant.

As governor, I spent my time in retirement fishing.  LOL

Not quite sure how to squeeze the last few points out of each round.  I'm getting between 92-96 points per round.  I can only think of a couple different things to try to wring the last couple points out of each round, or maximize my points earlier in the game.

Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 1.43.13 PM.png

Sweet score!  You had a great career and deserved that retirement out on the deep blue Intellivision seas.  ? 

Edited by IntyFanMatt
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, gar0u said:

That's why I usually play fewer rounds since the last 10+ rounds will likely be max score and therefore irrelevant.  You'd do about the same amount of actual strategy in a 20/45 game as you would in a 30/45, which is why we used to settle on 15/40 as a fun quick 10 minute game.  Maybe a hint for next season since there seems to be much interest in Utopia this time around...  ? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gar0u said:

Cracked 99 points/round.  Now to get it earlier in the game...

Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 4.04.24 PM.png

Congrats!  Getting points earlier in the game is the secret sauce.  Nice thing is how many paths there are to that....  Heavy money early/low score, go for consistent score while trying to close the gap on income, massively unhealthy living conditions, etc...   ?

• Like 2