IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 13 - Game 6 - Worm Whomper / Utopia Bonus

4 hours ago, IntyFanMatt said:

Was wondering if you were gunna play, awesome!! I am wondering though...this is a great Intellivision game, but what about it makes it your favorite one out of all of the great ones the system has?

I'm not really sure at what point this game became my favorite.  I never had it as a kid and my first time playing was probably after 2011.  What I like about it is that it's a pure high score game.  The pace increases gradually, though it occasionally his you with a crazy level followed by a few recovery levels.  The music also sets this tone of increasing anxiety.  There's a decent amount of strategy involved that I'm still trying to master.  I recently watched a video of a 539k game and noticed that they seemingly intentionally left many pools of water in the upper half of the field and it got me thinking.  Are they just trying to save ploughballs?  Is there a max number of pools that can form?  Is there an advantage to having them as an obstacle up top?  I have so much to learn.

I also appreciate that it's a rare exclusive for the Intellivision with an Activision achievement patch.  The box art is great.  Felton Pinkerton!?  Fantastic.

I've been watching the high score climb from around 250k to almost 600k over the past few years.  Your score was crazy impressive!  My all time best was in 2016 at 243k (wave 34), so I'd like to improve on that.  I'll try again on Sunday.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JasonlikesINTV said:

I'm not really sure at what point this game became my favorite.  I never had it as a kid and my first time playing was probably after 2011.  What I like about it is that it's a pure high score game.  The pace increases gradually, though it occasionally his you with a crazy level followed by a few recovery levels.  The music also sets this tone of increasing anxiety.  There's a decent amount of strategy involved that I'm still trying to master.  I recently watched a video of a 539k game and noticed that they seemingly intentionally left many pools of water in the upper half of the field and it got me thinking.  Are they just trying to save ploughballs?  Is there a max number of pools that can form?  Is there an advantage to having them as an obstacle up top?  I have so much to learn.

I also appreciate that it's a rare exclusive for the Intellivision with an Activision achievement patch.  The box art is great.  Felton Pinkerton!?  Fantastic.

I've been watching the high score climb from around 250k to almost 600k over the past few years.  Your score was crazy impressive!  My all time best was in 2016 at 243k (wave 34), so I'd like to improve on that.  I'll try again on Sunday.

Great stuff Jason, I can appreciate all of those reasons!  And thank you as well.  I am sure you can continue to improve on it if you practice.  If you watch that video you mention, which I believe is Al Birman the Intellivision Master, you can learn a lot.  He is unbelievable!  Good to have you hear, would be great if you could stick around for more games!

• Like 3

Utopia Update: Not that it's anything to write home about, but this is my highest score on the left side so far. My 2,403 on the right side is still my best. I still like the right side better and until I can score higher on the left side than the right side, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Atleast no hurricanes wrecked my party in this one. 

2,345 (Left Side) 30T/45S

UT(2345)S13.jpg.4f4cc1433bf4dd4f953c4ef22f90a418.jpg

• Like 4

Not much of an improvement, but just in case it's close--this is the best I could do.

Never could break 2600 on Utopia.  :(

Really having a fun time with the High Score season.  Playing some games like Worm Whomper for the first time with the incredible 'jzintv' emulator.  It's nice to have something to do and look forward to with the way the world is these days.

I hope everyone else is having as much fun and enjoying the brief diversion these games provide.

IMG_5003.jpg

IMG_4991.jpg

• Like 6

9 hours ago, hoosierdadee78 said:

1953. I had time to play a few games last night and I just can’t seem to crack 2000. Maybe I’ll have time to get in a game or two later and get over that hump. What a fantastic game. I can imagine playing two player with a buddy sitting next to you talking trash. That would be so much fun.

Very glad you had an excuse to give the game a try!  Not only was it the first of its time, but it still holds up very well to this day! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, gar0u said:

Not much of an improvement, but just in case it's close--this is the best I could do.

Really having a fun time with the High Score season.  Playing some games like Worm Whomper for the first time with the incredible 'jzintv' emulator.  It's nice to have something to do and look forward to with the way the world is these days.

I hope everyone else is having as much fun and enjoying the brief diversion these games provide.

Awesome that you're enjoying the HSC along with us and I agree! It's so nice to have a reason to try out games you never played before and the little push to improve your score encourages you to spend more time with the game than you might have otherwise. 

Jacob's current format with 2 simultaneous games (sometimes 3!) going means you never feel stuck if there's a game you don't like (or don't have) since there's always something else to play! ?

• Like 4

6 hours ago, gar0u said:

IMG_5003.jpg

IMG_4991.jpg

If you add -z3 to the jzintv command it might scale better.

25 minutes ago, INTELLIVISION SPARTAN said:

Guys your not going to believe this.... last night I played a Worm Whomper. Beat the high score and when I went to take the screenshot I kicked the table, and the Intellivision reset to the title screen. 

Matt, please tell me that you beat your score so I can feel better! 

Just tell us what it is; photos are not a requirement for hsc.

9 minutes ago, mr_me said:

Just tell us what it is; photos are not a requirement for hsc.

But for 'higher scores' they are encouraged per Jacob's rules...

- 'Screenshots of your score are not necessary but are encouraged for higher scores.'

Edited by Rickster8
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, INTELLIVISION SPARTAN said:

Guys your not going to believe this.... last night I played a Worm Whomper. Beat the high score and when I went to take the screenshot I kicked the table, and the Intellivision reset to the title screen. 

Matt, please tell me that you beat your score so I can feel better! 

Hey Sparty, I have not beaten my score.  ?  It's up to Jacob if he wants to accept your score or not without a pic.  

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, INTELLIVISION SPARTAN said:

I appreciate it guys.... 

but No Way! 

I don’t want a score without a screenshot. And I’m not asking for it. 

just looking for pats on the back for my misery! 

Sorry man, that sucks.... When we were playing Nightstalker I got to 230k, and at that time that would have been the highest score. I thought I had one guy left so I hit the disc up to get out of the cage and my game was over and when I hit the disc the title screen came up. Game score gone.. :( You still have 9 hours to beat it. Knowing you, you will lol.... ?

Edited by Rickster8
Wording
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1