IGNORED

Did I just fry a GTIA chip?

Pfaffa

Well, if the system was powered and your power supply was producing the expected +5V DC, you just put that voltage into the A0 line of the address bus. Kind of hard to be sure if you damaged anything that way or not.

Do you have any kind of tools or test equipment to help you repair this system, or are you just chip-swapping?

Just trying to get the system up, we are getting either a black or red screen (we are colorblind and the lcd is old). I have a voltmeter with discontinuity checking and that is about it. We were pulling up chips and reseating them to see if that fixed the system.

1 minute ago, Pfaffa said:

Just trying to get the system up, we are getting either a black or red screen

A red/green screen usually indicates that the SALLY, ANTIC and GTIA are okay but something is preventing the system from booting up. Often it's the OS ROM but it might be any number of other things as well.

• Like 1

Well behaved chips should have their I/O set to inputs when first powered up. So there is a good chance that the GTIA is ok. And as it has already been suggested, best way to know is to properly re-install and see.

2 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

If it's one pin out, it's not going to power up ?

Yes you are correct in that being one pin offset will not power-up the chip (VCC not connected to 5V).

Edited by mytek
Deleted completely wrong presumptions