IGNORED

Virtual Airlines for real ?!?

Keatah

Crazy times I suppose. You can book a virtual flight to nowhere. You have to go to fake airport and board a fake plane. And you get a VR helemt, real cabin crew, real airline seats, and real airline food. Seems it's getting to the point that frequent business fliers are getting bored and just want to experience the thrill and aura of a real flight to wherever! I would gather that sight seeing tours are (or are going to be) popular. The sales pitch, since 2017, has been to offer a taste of international air travel.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2020/08/18/travelers-miss-flying-so-much-that-theyre-taking-flights-nowhere/

I think it'd be great if they did this with tours of the Solar System. On board a mock starship. You don't have to deal with 10 years of astronaut training and 20 medical exams getting tubes stuffed into every hole. No explosive and dangerous rocket. And you wouldn't get spacesick. And it could be done and engineered with today's tech quite easily. Could be better than the real thing because (today) the real thing is just a shitload of dangerous plumbing and noise ready to 'splode at a moment's notice. Your phone could become a tri-corder via an app, you could be issued a real uniform, trekkie-styled or otherwise. With today's 8K televisions and cheap abundant PC graphics, a 10-meter bridge screen rendering the cosmos in all its glory should be more than doable. Shit. Man. I'm doing the same thing with just three 65-inch screens costco!

I normally fly multiple times per year and I do not enjoy the experience -- even in Business Class (Canadian airlines do not have a "First Class" tier). The long lineups, the cramped seats, queuing to use a tiny (and filthy) washroom, etc.

I cannot imagine experiencing all of that discomfort, and then not actually going anywhere.  I would not do this for free.

OTOH, the solar system tour does sound like it might be fun.   

But why though? Like jhd said, you're not going anywhere (which is the only reason you're flying, unless you work for an airline). I could see this being cool if you could fly over 1970s New York, or as you said, travel the solar system, but all you're doing is flying over present-day earth in an AR setting. 

The pandemic's lowering IQ's as much as it's lowering lifespans

• Like 1