IGNORED

Atari 2600 Movie Marathon!

keithbk

I thought it would be fun to watch movies that had Atari 2600 games based on them...

Decided to start with Krull.

Of course, there are obvious ones for the marathon: Raiders of the Lost Ark, the original Star Wars trilogy, and E.T. 

There are some movies I don't own (yet), like Mega Force (although I do have the game).

Of course, CBS/Fox released quite a few games based on movies like Fantastic Voyage, Flash Gordon, and M*A*S*H, then there were games based on the movie TRON from M-Network.

Superman doesn't count; it was not based on the movie, but the comic books.

Sound fun to you? It does to me :)

• Like 3

M*A*S*H is really based more on the TV series than the movie; the manual makes specific mention of characters who were created for the show and had no presence in the film (or book before that). Not sure if that would 'disqualify' it for you or not.

How about King Kong?

Or perhaps The Earth Dies Screaming? (Surprisingly not a terrible movie, if you're into old sci-fi. There's really no relation between the movie and the game though, beyond the title.)

Edited by King Atari
  • Like 1

Krull, I think Atari did a good job programming this. Rescue Lyssa (Lysette Anthony) and the Galaxy is yours. What more do you want?

Alien, a good (better) Pac-Man clone

Halloween, I love all the movies (especially Halloween 3), and the game is very good, it's a platformer, I like it.

Star Wars ROTJ Death Star Battle, fun game, played it for hours 

• Like 1

On 8/19/2020 at 10:54 PM, insertclevernamehere said:

The above are all movies that are better than the games.  One game that is better than the movie would be 20th Century Fox's Spacemaster X-7.  Such a great game.  Actually I've never seen the movie but it's a 50's sci fi b movie.  How good can it be?

It's a good film

Of course, "Revenge of the Beefsteak Tomatoes" is a play on "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" movie franchise. Might throw that one into the mix for fun.

220px-Attack_of_the_Killer_Tomatoes.jpg

220px-RevengeoftheBeefsteakTomatoes.png

As to M*A*S*H, it was a Fox movie and released by Fox on cartridge, but apparently updated to INCLUDE the TV series in the manual. As the movie predates the TV series, it would qualify.

427108-mash.jpg

Edited by keithbk

Games based on movie licenses are notoriously bad, but a lot of the games on this list aren't half bad. Lucasarts always did wonderful flight simulators based on the SW universe. I wonder what was the start of that bad reputation?  LJN games in the NES era? Horrible C64 or other 8bit games?

Edited by CapitanClassic

Just got done watching "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes..."

"Puberty Love" is now running through my head.

Before that, I watched Megaforce for the first time. Bad movie, but it has the girl who played Ilia from Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Never realized she was Indian (from India). The dark hair makes all the difference. Also, never realized she died in 1998.

Edited by keithbk
  • Like 1

MegaForce was Awesome!  ?   Of course you should have beer and friends handy, especially wiseasses like me...Then the following week, ya check out the Riff Trax version to really see how it's done haha...The funny thing is in the 80s I saw it in the theater and (you're gonna laugh) I didn't remember it being that bad...I think we all  bought into the  hype on some level and were just prepared to enjoy ourselves. 

1 hour ago, Asaki said:

I watched The Towering Inferno earlier this year.

It's just a little bit more exciting than the game ;)

There's one that I'd forgotten about!

I bought that game, full retail, back in the day.  It was a proverbial rainy day, and I wanted to get a new Atari game, but just couldn't seem to find anything I wanted in the whole store.  I took a chance and was glad I did!

Also I saw that in the theater when I was a kid haha...