IGNORED

ColecoVision repair attempt - No video displaying - Electronics novice, looking for advice

Drajikore

10 hours ago, Drajikore said:

Sorry for the delay, busy weekend.

So to start, I re-measured the readings from my PSU, and... I am getting new readings >.<

My +5V line is only giving out 4V and the 12V line is only giving less than 10V now.

When I power it on and take readings, the 4V and -5V remain the same, but the <10V becomes ~7V.

With that in mind, these are the readings I got from the nodes you asked about.

Purple = 7V

Yellow = 4V

I'm guessing that purple should have been 12V and yellow 5V?

I'll order some parts for the PSU off Console5.com to try fix it, and get the ColUSB for good measure.

I'll also clean the switch and get back to you with the new readings after that, as I suspect that if the switch has dirty contacts or isn't making a full connection, that's part of why I might be losing voltage from the 12V line.

While repairing the original is a good idea, I personally would opt for using this over the ColUSB. And I'm not sure what the availability of the ColUSB is currently.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28-5-watt-ColecoVision-compatible-power-supply-The-best-quality-PS-every-made/114258620533?hash=item1a9a583075:g:EFUAAOSw6ohe5cu2

I got one of these recently and it works really well. I especially like the fact that I can plug this off a strip without it taking up half the strips other outlets in the process. Been using it for bench work and it actually replaced my ColUSB after my ColUSB burned up from being left plugged into the Apple tablet charger I was using with it without a load for too long. Also if you compare the costs between the ColUSB and this solution above, you will find the pricing I think is better on this newer power supply vs the ColUSB.

1 hour ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

While repairing the original is a good idea, I personally would opt for using this over the ColUSB. And I'm not sure what the availability of the ColUSB is currently.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28-5-watt-ColecoVision-compatible-power-supply-The-best-quality-PS-every-made/114258620533?hash=item1a9a583075:g:EFUAAOSw6ohe5cu2

I got one of these recently and it works really well. I especially like the fact that I can plug this off a strip without it taking up half the strips other outlets in the process. Been using it for bench work and it actually replaced my ColUSB after my ColUSB burned up from being left plugged into the Apple tablet charger I was using with it without a load for too long. Also if you compare the costs between the ColUSB and this solution above, you will find the pricing I think is better on this newer power supply vs the ColUSB.

Unfortunately, with shipping included, this ends up being slightly more than the ColUSB for me. But both of them ultimately end up being around $70-$80 CAD =/

Meanwhile, the parts off of Console5 are like ~$20. So that's the main reason why I think I'll go that route first, haha.

But now I'm actually not concerned whether the ColUSB goes out of stock, cause this looks like the better alternative anyways, to be honest.

Edited by Drajikore
Got pricing wrong

1 hour ago, Drajikore said:

Unfortunately, with shipping included, this ends up being slightly more than the ColUSB for me. But both of them ultimately end up being around $70-$80 CAD =/

Meanwhile, the parts off of Console5 are like ~$20. So that's the main reason why I think I'll go that route first, haha.

But now I'm actually not concerned whether the ColUSB goes out of stock, cause this looks like the better alternative anyways, to be honest.

I wasn't aware you were in Canada. But do keep in mind that the ColUSB still requires you to supply your own USB to USB-C or whatever cable to USB-C to be supplied along with a power adapter. But yeah, I was surprised by the fact that a couple hours of the ColUSB being plugged into my Apple table charger but not plugged into the CV burned out the ColUSB. So I much prefer the option now that I listed. True it is a bulkier solution compared to the ColUSB. But then the solution I listed has everything you need cable, power cable wise.

• 5 weeks later...

Even though I haven't put a lot of work towards this project lately, I figured I'd post a little update.

So, it remains to be seen if there is actually anything wrong with the console itself.

But the PSU is undeniably the main culprit, and I suspect only culprit. I cut it open a week or two ago now, and... oh boy. It started spilling corrosive powder all over, and is just rusted to hell inside. I think the pictures will spell it all out.

Gonna be quite the cleanup ahead of me, but I'll still gonna try salvage it since I already bought the replacement components. Even if I get it working though, it might not be the most reliable PSU, so I will likely scope out a new one down the road. For the time being, however, I will just see if I can get this to work at all.

20200916_083105.jpg

20200916_083122.jpg

20200916_083221.jpg

20200916_083238.jpg

20200916_083202.jpg

12 minutes ago, Tursi said:

Was that one used as an aquarium pump for a while?? ;)

I'd be wary of that transformer... are the coils rusted as well, or just the iron?

Certainly looks the part. That's what 15-20 years of outdoor storage looks like.

Unsure, but the iron looks severely deteriorated, so I would be surprised if the coils were intact. Gonna start working on it with my father-in-law, who is significantly more experienced and knowledgeable with electronics than I am, and the condition of the coils is his primary concern as well.

• Like 1