IGNORED

FS: SunBlade 2000 - SOLD

matthew180

I really need to find a new home for this SunBlade 2000 computer.  Works great, see photos, as questions.  I would like to get $60, or make an offer.

I would prefer a local pickup (SoCal, L.A. area), but I'll ship to where ever you want to pay for it.  This is a *big* system.  Weight is 55 pounds packed, minimum dimensions are 26"x20"x12", my zipcode is 91384.

This is a very impressive computer and makes you wish for the days when it was also considered *fast*. ;)  The physical build is absolutely impressive, and the quality is second to none.  It has SCSI built-in and a lot of other ports.  Here is a link to some specs:

https://shrubbery.net/~heas/sun-feh-2_1/Systems/SunBlade2000/spec.html

There is a keyboard, but no *Sun* mouse, although any USB mouse works fine.  Also included are two CDs (not original media) with Solaris and the Companion disk.  The system needs a keyboard, mouse, and network cable plugged in or it will refuse to boot the OS (seems strange, and took me a while to figure that out).  Once started, I was surprised to find an old version of FireFox loaded, and a lot of other software I would not have expected.

sb01.jpg

sb02.jpg

sb03.jpg

sb04.jpg

sb05.jpg

sb06.jpg

sb07.jpg

sb08.jpg

sb09.jpg

sb10.jpg

sb11.jpg

sb12.jpg

sb13.jpg

sb14.jpg

sb15.jpg

sb16.jpg

Edited by matthew180

Not sure how hard it would be, but that system is capable of a second processor.  I too have one of these.... I bought a second processor off eBay and installed it long ago.  I never did much with the system however ?

I worked for Sun for 3 years, so was very into Sun stuff....  if anyone is every looking for anything Sun related, feel free to PM me.  I have stuff mostly from Sun-1 through Sun4d with some Sun4u.

Hopefully someone local grabs this.  I don't even want to think what this would cost to ship.

I think the only heavier Sun's I have is my Sun-1, Sun-2/120, and Sun SparcServer 1000.  It is heavy (but managable).  I still think though that my SGI Octane is one of the densest (weight/cubic inch) of all my Unix systems ?.

Best of luck re-homing this.

Yes, this will take a second CPU.  I found a few on ebay, but never bought any.

As for re-homing, it does not look promising; it seems there is zero interest in old Sun hardware.  I'm probably going to take it to a recycler or GoodWill (which is just the same as recycling when it comes to computer hardware), which I hate to do but have little choice.  I wish there was an easy way to recover the gold out of this thing!

• Sad 1

I have pretty much gotten out of Sun stuff.  Since Oracle's take-over and it having pretty much taken Solaris out of the hands of hobbyists, I have moved on.  I cannot even get Oracle to take my money for support contracts to make my Solaris boxes legit.  That and a recent change to Hyper-V makes it incompatible with Solaris or any of its derivatives, so I have to move on to CentOS.

5 hours ago, matthew180 said:

I downloaded the FreeBSD SPARC-64 install, but never got around to trying it out.   There *are* alternatives to running Solaris on SPARC hardware.

This is true.  But I have mostly moved away from SPARC hardware.  I still have a dual Ross 100 which runs as an actual server, but the rest of my machines have been x64 running in Hyper-V.  I have two physical machines remaining which I have to retire: an Athlon XP 2800 and a K6-III+.

My Sun Love is all in the past.  I hope ends up in good hands.

Nice machine, back in the day I really wanted one of those.  Used to run my website, dns, and e-mail on Sun hardware, with a Sun desktop.  ?  I'm typing on one of those keyboards (attached to a whitebox PC) right now!  Should have an official Sun mouse around here somewhere too...