IGNORED

Atari 400 troubleshooting - black screen

ziggaboogi

Hello, 

I'm hoping someone may have an idea on what I can check next on an Atari 400 that was recently gifted to me from a friend. 

Here is the current rundown after some testing 

-booting up the first time it was successfully able to get to memopad with no catridge inserted and was able to type a few characters, but then it blanked out and now only shows a black screen when powered on 

-I have tried reseating every single chip, and tried cleaning every leg on the chips and the daughter board connectors 

-I've verified that the voltages coming from the powerboard are fine and are nice and steady 

Currently the only things I have for this are a cartridge of Defender and a 410 with no tapes. I'm hoping that someone could help me figure out what I should check next. 

Edited by ziggaboogi

User @tfhh sells a great 48k RAM card exclusively for the 400.  As far as your black screen goes Paul knows his stuff afaik but replacing the whole CPU card may not be necessary if the issue can be narrowed down to the specific cause. Perhaps it's a bad GTIA. Do you have a spare machine you can move the 400's GTIA to the working machine? Have you tried searching "black screen" in this forum?

Unfortunately I don't have another 400 to swap parts for. I did see that best electronic was selling replacement daughter boards but just wanted some way to confirm if either the CPU board or the ram board is faulty before ordering replacements. I know they also sell specific chips for the 400 so narrowing it down even more would be ideal, although more difficult.   

I recall that the 5200 should have a compatible pokey chip, so are there any compatible gtia chips from the 5200 or 7800? As I do have working versions of those consoles.

It also sounds like finding a copy of star raiders would also be a way to narrow down the issue a little.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Same thing happened to me.  Several years ago I hooked up my 400 for the first time in 30 years.  Blank screen. Took apart and reseated chips and wiggled connections.  Nothing.  Put it aside. Decided to fiddle with it again during covid lockdown last winter.  Replaced RAM card with one ordered off ebay for about $15, swapped it out,  and it booted up fine.  ...not that I have any real USE for a 400, but it's  kind of nice to have my first computer from 40 years ago functional again.